Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Novel Hits Stores in November

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

November 24, 2009. That is a day that every Metal Gear fan will mark down in their diaries for years to come. For that is the day that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, that great game we all love, and the best game in the Metal Gear series, will be destroyed forever.

Former James Bond novelist Raymond Benson novelized the first Metal Gear Solid. It was of average quality. The writing was riddled with cliches, and the quality of writing was what one would expect from a writer just beginning in his or her career. Now, I don't know if you know this, but Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is a pretty complicated game. A whole melange of postmodern stuff is going on. And, Raymond Benson, as good a James Bond novelist as he may have been, is perhaps not the best choice of writer to tackle such a project. He's a perfectly good thriller novelist - but Metal Gear Solid 2 is not a thriller of a game. It's deep. It's very confusing. It's very Haruki Murakami.

Haruki Murakami would be the perfect writer for a Sons of Liberty novel. But he'd never do it. Unless, of course, he saw how rad Metal Gear Solid 2 was and decided to write it. But that would never happen either. So, we're stuck with Benson. I might be wrong. He might surprise us all, and, believe me, I would love for that to happen.

Here are some excerpts from the first novel.

“Oh! You gave me a start, Doctor,” the gray-haired politician said. It always had struck Clark that the president was a very nervous type when he wasn’t in front of a camera. She rather enjoyed scaring the poor man; that was ironic because she was a woman, albeit a woman with a commanding presence and powerful charisma.
    And,
    The president squeamishly turned away from the window and waved his hand around the chamber, indicating the hundreds of stalactites on the limestone ceiling. “Do any of those things ever fall?”
    He doesn't sound very president-like to me. Do you see what I mean about the writing style? It reads like something you'd see published on the internet, like an eBook. I'm just concerned. Concerned. I probably won't read it anyway, but... Best of luck to you anyway, sir. I hope you do the game justice.

Cross-posted from Metal Gear Scholar
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

November 24, 2009. That is a day that every Metal Gear fan will mark down in their diaries for years to come. For that is the day that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, that great game we all love, and the best game in the Metal Gear series, will be destroyed forever.

Former James Bond novelist Raymond Benson novelized the first Metal Gear Solid. It was of average quality. The writing was riddled with cliches, and the quality of writing was what one would expect from a writer just beginning in his or her career. Now, I don't know if you know this, but Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is a pretty complicated game. A whole melange of postmodern stuff is going on. And, Raymond Benson, as good a James Bond novelist as he may have been, is perhaps not the best choice of writer to tackle such a project. He's a perfectly good thriller novelist - but Metal Gear Solid 2 is not a thriller of a game. It's deep. It's very confusing. It's very Haruki Murakami.

Haruki Murakami would be the perfect writer for a Sons of Liberty novel. But he'd never do it. Unless, of course, he saw how rad Metal Gear Solid 2 was and decided to write it. But that would never happen either. So, we're stuck with Benson. I might be wrong. He might surprise us all, and, believe me, I would love for that to happen.

Here are some excerpts from the first novel.

“Oh! You gave me a start, Doctor,” the gray-haired politician said. It always had struck Clark that the president was a very nervous type when he wasn’t in front of a camera. She rather enjoyed scaring the poor man; that was ironic because she was a woman, albeit a woman with a commanding presence and powerful charisma.
    And,
    The president squeamishly turned away from the window and waved his hand around the chamber, indicating the hundreds of stalactites on the limestone ceiling. “Do any of those things ever fall?”
    He doesn't sound very president-like to me. Do you see what I mean about the writing style? It reads like something you'd see published on the internet, like an eBook. I'm just concerned. Concerned. I probably won't read it anyway, but... Best of luck to you anyway, sir. I hope you do the game justice.

Cross-posted from Metal Gear Scholar
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne
    The writing was riddled with cliches, and the quality of writing was what one would expect from a writer just beginning in his or her career.
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid to me.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Anyone who works Haruki Murakami into a post about video games automatically wins.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I didnt even realise there were MGS novels. But then I dont read game to novels translations so I wouldnt be trying to keep up to date with whats available. Having now been told about them I would ordinarilly be enough of a MGS fan to find and read them, but your are not making them sound very tempting especially given the effort I would have to go to, to try and find a copy.

JohnKiller118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JohnKiller118
    @Meowayne said:
    "
    The writing was riddled with cliches, and the quality of writing was what one would expect from a writer just beginning in his or her career.
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid to me. "
    ^This 
    But at least Kojima has some fucking charm to his work. Benson's adaptations just feel like a shallow cash-in.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

Rise from your grave!

JohnKiller118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JohnKiller118

I have the worst luck with this...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.