Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

MGS-SoD Data Tracking Team, GO!

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JeremySpittle

These Graphs are Up-to-Date through Episode 10

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

LINK TO THE SPREADSHEET WITH ALL OF THE DATA IS HERE

So, as most of us know, last season somebody made some PRETTY KICKASS CHARTS for tracking Drew's deaths in MGS.

I'd like to take this one step forward.

I'm on a personal mission to track any and all aspects of each and every death through the second season (and beyond!) for anybody to use and compile how they like. This is a fun project for me, and I'll be doing it whether anybody cares or not for myself. However, if you guys are interested like I suspect that you are, I'd be interested in making this as community accessible as possible and incorporate any feedback I get. I'd like to get a jump on this because we're only two episodes in and it is easy to change right now. (By the way, this will be a bunch of text, so if you just want to see the efforts so far then scroll down to the bottom of this post for the link).

I'm currently tracking Death # in episode, Time of Death, Type of Death (Boss, Enemy, Suicide, Environment, Animal), Cause of Death (gunshot, fall, explosion, etc), and Source of Death (Soldier, Boss name, etc). I am also keeping tallies of the total for each Type across each episode and the entire series. These are right now just examples of how you might get totals for any category. I may end up tracking the totals for Cause and Source as well, but I'd need your help for that.

I have a confession.

I've never played a MG game. I have no idea what's going to happen every episode so I'm experiencing it along with Drew. So if there is any weird Type, Cause or Source that I should be tracking separate from what I already am, then I need to know sooner rather than later to make the entire project as useful as possible. For example, say there is some reason I should be tracking bullets from enemies dressed in brown different from those dressed in yellow - if I separate them out now in preparation then it will be easier later. So if the game needs to get spoiled for me to make this, that's fine, it's for the good of us all.

Anyway, I'm doing this for everybody to use as they see fit. Want to download the entire thing and fork it to your own? Cool. Want to implement it into your website? Go ahead! Want to use the data to build an end-user tool to view and analyze the data? I'll be the first to try it. If you make anything cool to show off, I'd appreciate it if you could link to either the spreadsheet itself or back to this post so others know where they can also get the data. Besides that, do as you will! I trust that if people are interested in this type of thing then you'll make some pretty cool findings. For example, how long will the average time played before death be through the entire series? How many times will Drew accidentally kill himself by falling off of something while fighting a boss and how does that compare to the amount of times Drew kills himself with explosions?

I am going to be updating this within a few days of each episode coming out (depending on work and such at the time). If there is actual interest then I will try to keep this topic (or another one like it) alive to document the progress and show off cool things that people make. Even if there is no interest you can count on the spreadsheet being updated if you're just the sick kind of person that likes to look at spreadsheets that don't interest you. Anyway, the link is right here. It's currently being managed by a spreadsheet in Google Docs. I made this choice because it's easy to search through all episodes and get totals from text cues and then display that information in pretty graphs.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@jeremyspittle: My interest might run high on this. I already watch every episode anyway. Why not compile a few factoids as well. What else could be recorded down besides deaths?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Seems like a sweet project, would love to see it happen, but admittedly don't have the perseverance to do it myself.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a sweet project, would love to see it happen, but admittedly don't have the perseverance to do it myself.

That's exactly what I'm here for! I'm going to be keeping track of this data no matter what, so I figure that I'd open it up to anybody who wants to view or use it

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

nice.... man, I wish the old MGS2 sata tracking site still works, that's been dead since 2004. You are doing that work for Drew.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Episode 3 has been updated and documented. At the advice of Dan and Drew during the videos, I am counting fail states as deaths (they give a Game Over screen).

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't there a fake game over screen somewhere in the series?

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JeremySpittle

That's the sort of thing that will throw me off. Is it obvious immediately it's a fake? I wouldn't want to skew the data when we get there

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GabrielCantor

@cooljammer00 said:

That's the sort of thing that will throw me off. Is it obvious immediately it's a fake? I wouldn't want to skew the data when we get there

Yes. It will be very obvious.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi
    @jeremyspittle said:
    @cooljammer00 said:

It is pretty obvious. It's in this game but it will only fool you for maybe 3 seconds.

bkimpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this idea. Wish I had some more free time to help, I think tracking all the movie quotes they throw out during the play through might be good too.

Chrisjw42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are doing god's work.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Episode 4 and 5 are updated. Dan requested location data for every death in episode 5, so I went back and rewatched every death to find out their locations. G7:G50 is now used for this location data. Everything that was in G or beyond has been shifted one to the right. Hopefully this will be the last big change I'll make to the data. Thank you for the time!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Now that's a good Google Doc.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@jeremyspittle: I've been looking over the data you have collect to see if it is accurate to what I have been gathering and I have a conundrum. Should "fail state" game over's count towards the death count and not be it's own thing? I've been separating the two this whole time and keep going back and forth on how I should handle it.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: The types are already being tracked. Look at the title page of the Google Doc to see how the breakdowns add up. Currently I track location, type, time, cause, and type. Special consideration is given to Bosses (although only one boss so far has even managed to kill Drew in this season).

@oscar__explosion: I counted it as per Dan's advice. Anything that yields a true "Game Over" screen will be counted on my data. However it does get its own category and it's only happened in one episode so far. One could, if inclined, just delete the data for Episode 3 (the only "deaths" were fail states) and all the data on the title page will auto-update to the changes. I was careful to perform the searches in such a way that somebody could go through a change things without breaking it.

I haven't been posting regular updates (because I don't want to spam the forums with this). However the spreadsheet is up to date through Episode 9 as of this writing. I'm going to do more next week to increase documentation. Please feel free to offer any advice to me. I do still check this thread!

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

Excellent work, JeremySpittle, it's been really fascinating stuff. Cool to see that it even lends Drew and Dan some context in how this interesting series has been going beyond gut impressions, it's a really awesome idea.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work duder! This data is really cool. I probably missed it, but any ideas if someone did data aggregation like this for the MGS1 playthrough?

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arbayer2

@djmoo: Yep, someone did, check the link in the article under the words "PRETTY KICKASS CHARTS". Also, it appears some of the statistics from MGScanlon 1 are included in the Google Docs link unless I'm mistaken.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbayer2: Thanks. I should learn to read better :p . Too bad they only go up to episode 8.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbayer2 said:

Also, it appears some of the statistics from MGScanlon 1 are included in the Google Docs link unless I'm mistaken.

This spreadsheet is only for Season/Game 2. I have thought about going back and re-doing this all for Season 1, but that would be in a separate chart entirely and so far I haven't done any work on it. It'd be interesting for a comparison. Maybe someday...

I plan to reformat the main post soon. Unfortunately I can't get the graphs to auto-update on the forums, but I'd like to get them at least more up to date the they are now. The truest, most current graphs will always be on the title page of the spreadsheet.

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated the main thread. Removed some out of date formatting and also uploaded every graph I have right now, because that seems to be what people want to see most of all.

Unfortunately I'll have to manually upload these every time. I'm thinking I'll do that every 5 episodes from here on out. However, looking at the spreadsheet itself will be up to date after every episode. Those graphs all auto-update with new data.

Happy graphing!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That damn Struf F !

Great work by the way!

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ratamero

"Cause of Death: Exploding the President" is the kind of sentence you don't see every day.

(great work btw!)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The bosses death graph is enlightening.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Might be worth changing the link for the original MGScanlon death charts to this final copy.
    Otherwise, outstanding work duder!

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The spreadsheet has been updated for Ep 11. I made a decision that I'm unsure about.

When Drew dies in B2 of Shell Core 2 he jumps in the water accidentally to avoid Vamp's attack, but because Vamp did not directly cause this death I did not count it as a boss death. Rather, I said it was a suicide.

I debated that decision back and forth with myself before I finally decided to do it the way that is currently on the spreadsheet. If people think I was wrong then I can go back and change it.

Also a new addition is the cause "Killing VIP". Yes, I know that the president should go in there, but that's for the sake of the joke. I can also change that if you guys disagree.

Also thank you @trulyalive, I did not know that the final version existed. I am updating that now.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd change that one to a boss death, since it was during a boss fight. But I see why you'd tally it as you have done.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremyspittle: Ah, thanks for the clarification, I'll reference the title page from now on. As always, thanks for the project!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.