Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

Remember when you first finished MGS2? *spoilers*

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By trulyalive

And Otacon says the list of names given to him that are supposedly 'The Patriots' are all dead? Who else was really freaked out then.
    Maybe it's just because I was 12 when I first finished MGS2, but whoo-ee, did that give me chills.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AutomaticSnake

I remember when i finished MGS2 i was so confused with the story i didn't know what to think lol

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By lord_canti

ive compleated it 15 times now and i never saw that bit ontill the playthrough i did  before mgs4  and my jaw dropped and i didnt close my mouth ontill 17 min later

UrbanGuerilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By UrbanGuerilla

I've played through it many times and I can say that playing with a group of people(3 or more) is the best way to experience this game. It can be so much fun laughing at Raiden!

And it still makes no sense, no matter how many times I play.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DaveF

I've played it 11 times now, and I only fully grasped the story on about the 10th playthhrough. I say fully grasped, but if I played it again (and I will), I'd probably notice something new.
    Once you've played MGS4, there are lots of small things in MGS2 that you will pick up (although I'm convinced Kojima hadn't thought that far ahead when he was making MGS2).
    Especially things about Ocelot.

Blazer74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Blazer74

Yeah and I thought, wow this game was not that good at all.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By trulyalive

Really? I still think it's one of my favourite games of all time.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By suneku

I'll admit it, I was pretty freaked out after finishing MGS2 for the first time. I was thinking to myself... "wtf is going on... some dudes that are dead are manipulating this whole crap???"

But now playing it again after MGS4 is awesome, because I understand everything that's going on.

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheWesman

I played the tanker through about 12 times, but I've only played the second part once.  After 4 I've started it again, this time substance.  Raiden slipping on bird poop is still funny, but I still hate Rose's character and how the Colonel acts like an idiot throughout the entire thing. 

At least they brought back the magic with 3 and 4, right?  Those games were really fun.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demilich

"What a crock"

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demilich
    sidescroller said:
    "I  thought 2 was funner than 3...

*Runs the hell away*"
    I thought 2 > 4 > 1> 3
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patchinko

I noticed this over at the 1UP.com MGS board... people who had played MGS when it came out and then later played MGS2 when it came out tend to dislike 2 a lot more than people who started the series around when 2 was coming out, or for who 2 was the first one.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By suneku

Interesting... I started at 1 and disliked 2.. but I love 2 now anyways so oh well. I'm playing it right now.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Patchinko
    suneku said:
    "Interesting... I started at 1 and disliked 2.. but I love 2 now anyways so oh well. I'm playing it right now."
    Me too. At first I really couldn't stand 2. I think it's because they made me play as Raiden. But, it's grown on me and now I like it.

I always liked the crazy ending, though. ;)
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

Same, I wanted Solid Snake. It was the first time we saw Snake all detailed and everything. It took till 4 came out for me to finally love MGS2, because we finally get to play as Solid Snake again and Raiden turned cool haha. Oh and also the story finally made sense.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I absolutely loved the last few lines of Metal Gear Solid 2. Man, if only I could play that game for the first time again... *sigh*

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Patchinko
    suneku said:
    "Same, I wanted Solid Snake. It was the first time we saw Snake all detailed and everything. It took till 4 came out for me to finally love MGS2, because we finally get to play as Solid Snake again and Raiden turned cool haha. Oh and also the story finally made sense."
    Yeah, Raiden turning out to be an utter badass in MGS4 didn't hurt either.

Man, I love 4! :D
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

MGS2 is definitely one of my favourite games ever and by far my favourite in the MGS franchise, though I do wish I could play it again for the first time now because at the time, I felt so underwhelmed at the ending. Probably because I was only about 13 at the time, but I found it way too esoteric and having Raiden take out a zillion Metal Gears felt lame. Now, looking back, all that stuff is done perfectly.

Also, regarding the Patriots at the end of MGS2. I can't remember but did they turn out to be the Wiseman's Committee or was it just complete misinformation?

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Patchinko
    HandsomeDead said:
    "MGS2 is definitely one of my favourite games ever and by far my favourite in the MGS franchise, though I do wish I could play it again for the first time now because at the time, I felt so underwhelmed at the ending. Probably because I was only about 13 at the time, but I found it way too esoteric and having Raiden take out a zillion Metal Gears felt lame. Now, looking back, all that stuff is done perfectly.

Also, regarding the Patriots at the end of MGS2. I can't remember but did they turn out to be the Wiseman's Committee or was it just complete misinformation?"
    The Patriots were the AIs!

The Wisemen's Committee were the people that put together the money that eventually led to the creation of the Patriots (the Philosophers' Legacy). So it wasn't exactly misinformation, more of a misunderstanding, I think?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Patchinko said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "MGS2 is definitely one of my favourite games ever and by far my favourite in the MGS franchise, though I do wish I could play it again for the first time now because at the time, I felt so underwhelmed at the ending. Probably because I was only about 13 at the time, but I found it way too esoteric and having Raiden take out a zillion Metal Gears felt lame. Now, looking back, all that stuff is done perfectly.

Also, regarding the Patriots at the end of MGS2. I can't remember but did they turn out to be the Wiseman's Committee or was it just complete misinformation?"

The Wisemen's Committee were the people that put together the money that eventually led to the creation of the Patriots (the Philosophers' Legacy). So it wasn't exactly misinformation, more of a misunderstanding, I think?"
    I know the Patriots were the AIs at the end, but them photos had to be somebody and if they were all dead over 100 years ago, being the Wisemen's Comittee would make perfect sense.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*spoiler*
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    Im still reeling from the fact otacon actually got sex from his step mother which killed his father and now his step sister wants his penial implant.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By suneku

Yeah Otacon's got some issues.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
    sidescroller said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Patchinko said:
    "HandsomeDead said:

The Wisemen's Committee were the people that put together the money that eventually led to the creation of the Patriots (the Philosophers' Legacy). So it wasn't exactly misinformation, more of a misunderstanding, I think?"
    I know the Patriots were the AIs at the end, but them photos had to be somebody and if they were all dead over 100 years ago, being the Wisemen's Comittee would make perfect sense."

I believe The Wisemen;s Commitee is the bigger picture, while the Philosiphers were the smaller, more dominate group.

I think the pictures were of the Philosophers"
    I know it's not exactly the most reliable source, but the Wikipedia has the images listed as the Wisemen's Commitee.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Otacon

MGS2 was very confusing, I was sat there at the TV and when Otacon said that they all died 100 years ago, I was both enthralled and confused. Or more confused than i already was.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap
    Otacon said:
    "MGS2 was very confusing, I was sat there at the TV and when Otacon said that they all died 100 years ago, I was both enthralled and confused. Or more confused than i already was."
    That was a pretty confusing twist, especially as they had been so controlling throughout the game.

That game was pretty confusing, I assume some stuff must have got lost in translation, although it makes more sense now than it did before (having marathoned from 1 to 4 recently lol)
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By ZeroCast

As far as i know MGS4 continues the story of MGS2, maybe MGS4 explains all the stuff that we didn't understand because i really want to know what happened to the tracking device that Snake placed on the Metal Gear.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By kenzo287

Yeah. This game has the best story in any game I've ever seen

Loc95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Loc95

When I first finished MGS2 I was like "oh geez, now, finally, I can take a piss, I can't hold it any longer!". It was a looooooong piss... but I made it to the secret scene. Woo!

And I didn't really understood MGS2's plot - I was something like 10 and my English was poor at this time.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

My thoughts: Oh no! It's the La-Le-Lu-Li-Lo!

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lifestrike

If the crazy society-crushing ending wasn't enough, my brother finished that game (for the first time) on exactly April 30th, 2008.

I was very, very distressed.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Im yet again still astonished at how kojima actually though Otacons back story of being a dick having sex with his mother causing his fathers heart attack and some how seducing his step sister....had any thing to do with the story at hand.

then again i still wonder why otacons speeh about the abomb and his family and blah blah blah had any thing to do with that story...

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By killroycantkill

When you get in Arsenal Gear and everything starts flipping out, I actually got scared when the skeleton cheif on the codec came around and they asked me to turn off the console... So I did lol! But I invited a friend over so I could finish the game. He was freaked out as well.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I played it once...and Still am confused...Mostly cause I got to the end and was still wondering why the hell Otacon felt the need to tell me how he fucked his step mom which caused his fathers heart attack and his step sister wants to fuck him too....
    That confused me and made me feel...akward I didn't even notice Naked raiden and AI telling him about huggy bears molesting his legs or something.

edit: to those that think I'm insane yes I know I've replied 3 times to this thread and didn't even realize I had...I all so didn't realize it was so old... lol

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Shadow71

I've beaten every game in the series, and I still don't think I understand what's going on, I played them so many years apart, I think at this point I just need to sit down and read a wiki to help me completely understand what went on.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By FancySoapsMan

MGS2 is awesome.

Just sayin'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.