Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 17, 2004

The third installment in the Metal Gear Solid franchise is swathed in the Cold War, and it's up to a strangely familiar soldier codenamed Naked Snake to keep the Soviet Union and the United States from all-out nuclear war.

The real EVA being Raikov theory

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Not sure anyone cares and it isn't even too pertinent to the story, but I'm definitely subscribing to the theory that the real EVA that defected to the Soviet Union as double agents for the CIA is Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov (the guy who looks like Raiden that Snake impersonates). My top points that support my theory below:

• Ocelot is the real ADAM; Ocelot's real name is ADAMska.
    • EVA is the codename of a male.
    • The name Ivan is sometimes pronounced "Yvonne," like the girls name, but with more of an "ah." (my name is pronounced like this as is every Bosnian Ivan). The pronounciation of YVOnne would explain why his codename is EVA. - i.e. the IVA part of Ivan is pronounced exactly like EVA is, just as Ocelot's codename is the first pronunciation of his real name.
    • Raikov's face is the model of the mask Naked Snake drops in with at the beginning of the name; Sigint or Zero mention that the model of the mask was an old CIA agent or something in that regard.
    • Raikov is in a relationship with Volgin; this makes sense if he's one of the "defected" spies, trying to get close to the enemy unrelated to Operation Snake Eater.

Well... just thought I'd pop in and put this here, mainly for the pronunciation point since a lot of people question why Raikov would choose the codename EVA.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This seems like a massive stretch, even for Metal Gear. Everything in this series is pretty much flat out explained so I don't know if there's much room for this kind of theory, imo.

That said, Big Boss and Ocelot are totally fuckin' on the low key, for sure. Headcanons etc.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If nothing else, Big Boss and I salute you.

No Caption Provided

As dadjumper said, it IS kind of a strech, but that being said, I find just enough indices here to run along with it, especially as to my knowledge, it has never been revealed who the real EVA was.
    It's just the kind of guano that I come to Metal Gear for.

Let's say I hope this is the truth.

I'm smiling, you made my day!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What? Raikov was Volgan's gay lover, they infer that several times throughout the game and Volgin practically say it later on near the end of MGS 3 when he fights Big Boss. The whole concept of Raikov to begin with was a riff on Raiden being effeminate and of questionable sexualty in MGS2.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A wizard did it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it was Skull Face.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What? Raikov was Volgan's gay lover, they infer that several times throughout the game and Volgin practically say it later on near the end of MGS 3 when he fights Big Boss. The whole concept of Raikov to begin with was a riff on Raiden being effeminate and of questionable sexualty in MGS2.

Pretty much, in addition to placating the fans who hated Raiden in MGS2. His middle name, Raidenovitch, is even a pun - while it's a patronymic meaning "Son of Raiden", it was also supposed to mean "Thunderbolt's Bitch", since he was Volgin's lover. And if anything, Ivan is basically the Russian version of John/Jack, which is another joke regarding him being an expy of Raiden.

He's a joke character. You're reading way, way too much into it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think think it's a massive stretch since they never explicitly state who the real EVE actually was. It's an interesting theory, but we'll probably never know.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mask is said to be from a CIA mission that was never launched, it involved an agent impersonating Raikov in order to steal documents. Adam and Eva were former NSA codebreakers that defected to russia and joined the KGB.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Nothing posted against this theory yet contradicts the potential of it being true. I really didn't try to dig too deep into it; the first thing that made me think Raikov could be EVA was his name. I can't think of anybody else in MGS3 who's first names start with EVA. I just connected a couple dots from there.

Raikov is a joke character but he's still a character in the game, and one that kind of ends up being pertinent. And being Volgin's lover is in my OP.

*Tatyana never states she killed EVA.

@Quarters: =o

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

*Tatyana never states she killed EVA.

She in fact states she didn't kill him. (From the MGS wiki)

EVA: The two NSA code breakers who defected in 1960...were actually both men. The real ADAM never showed up at the meeting place... ...saving me the trouble of having to eliminate him. I sneaked in by pretending I was EVA...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

It's not like this series doesn't turn its joke characters into important plot points. See: Johnny Sasaki.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@joeyravn said:

@stonyman65 said:

It's not like this series doesn't turn its joke characters into important plot points. See: Johnny Sasaki.

You say "important plot point", I say "they didn't really know what to do with Meryl and Rat Patrol so they made up some bullshit that just as easily could've not been shown and would've affected very little."

Man, now I'm thinking of MGS4, and I really kinda miss the lengthy, melodramatic cutscenes compared to the incredible sparsity of MGS5's story.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:
    @stonyman65 said:

Pretty much, in addition to placating the fans who hated Raiden in MGS2. His middle name, Raidenovitch, is even a pun - while it's a patronymic meaning "Son of Raiden", it was also supposed to mean "Thunderbolt's Bitch", since he was Volgin's lover. And if anything, Ivan is basically the Russian version of John/Jack, which is another joke regarding him being an expy of Raiden.

He's a joke character. You're reading way, way too much into it.

Very few characters in that series exist as just a gag. Either they're there to show something to the player or they have a tie to the grander narrative. I don't think it's a stretch for the series that created a legacy out of a man who shits himself to have a double identity for another comedic character.

Inkspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Inkspider

I think being Volgin’s lover doesn’t negate the possibility of him being EVA - if anything, it helps support it. Wanting an agent in Volgin’s bed seems pretty logical to me. In fact, that’s entirely the same story/method Tatyana had when she was pretending to be 'EVA'. What a coincidence.

Personally, I think this is a possible theory. I don't see anything to contractice it, but there are hints to support it. In fact it was my first thought when they said at the end of MGS 3 that both agents were men; I immediately thought of Ivan because of the name play. And what better man to give the effeminate title 'Eva' than prettyboy Ivan? I know the OP and I aren't the only ones to see the connection, certainly anyone who has read 'The Vicious Pet' knows it's an old theory with quite a following. But I would only consider it a theory, there’s indications, but definitely not proof.

I write stories, and when I write one that I intend to expand upon later, I often leave potential seeds. Little things that could lead to nothing, but should I chose to develop them, they’re in place. This looks like a seed to me. We know from interviews that Raiden is Kojima’s favorite character, we know Raikov/Ivan was based off Raiden as a joke, and we know that Raikov/Ivan gets a number of cameos in future games despite being only a small joke character. If he was /just/ a joke with no plans at all for him, he probably wouldn’t be in those games. The joke had been made already, there’s no need to continue his presence. So yeah, I think it’s a story seed that Kojima might have been considering developing at one point, but then decided against. It's also possible that it's not a seed for future plots, so much as a tease for people who like to theorize about stuff like this. There’s a lotta love for theorizing in fanbases.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is Ocelots real name really Adamska? That sounds just like a stupid "Russianification" of his supposed codename and it wouldnt surprise me if its bullshit.

Inkspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla:I do wonder at that. I think it is his real name. He believes Snake/Big Boss when he calls himself 'John', repeating it on the phone by apparent accident at the very end of the credits to the game, so I think he took it as genuine, or at least accepted it as something else to call him. If he believed Snake, then that suggests Ocelot probably was telling the truth to him. But that's some weaksauce reasoning! Better to say I'd assume it was his real name until the plot/lore gives me a better reason to think otherwise. The name 'Adamska' is clearly derived from Adam and, like ya say, 'Russianified' but that's not too surprising, it's suggested that Ocelot has American origins.

That said, using the codename ADAM while he was an NSA codebreaker if his real name was Adamska dens't seem like a good idea. So there's that little tidbit against it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.