Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 17, 2004

The third installment in the Metal Gear Solid franchise is swathed in the Cold War, and it's up to a strangely familiar soldier codenamed Naked Snake to keep the Soviet Union and the United States from all-out nuclear war.

What an awesome game ( spoilers)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So I finished up mgs3 for the first time on the hd collection and wow that game is really awesome. Sure the controls feel a tiny bit dates but thanks to the new camera it wasn't a big deal really. But every mechanic in the game is extremely well done and the boss fights (except one) were quite enjoyable. Also that story is insane but is told very elegantly to almost make you forget how crazy it is.

I did just wanna ask one question about the story though. I was curious as to who ocelot was talking too after the credits of the game? Was it the US president or what?

Anyway to sum up, snake eater is incredible and can't wait to hit up peace walker and the replay mgs4 to connect all the dots

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

His arm.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SpaceRunaway
    @Sackmanjones said:
      I was curious as to who ocelot was talking too after the credits of the game? Was it the US president or what? Anyway to sum up, snake eater is incredible and can't wait to hit up peace walker and the replay mgs4 to connect all the dots
    It was the CIA director.  3 is definitely an amazing game.  Out of curiosity, was your least favorite battle against The End?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

What a thrill.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Chop

3 is easily the best Metal Gear game. I haven't played it in a long time, but I still wouldn't hesitate to put it in my top ten games of all time.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @SpaceRunaway No it was the fury. I absolutely loved the ends boss fight
    SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceRunaway
    @Sackmanjones
    Okay, phew, I was about to get all uppity.  I love that fight.
    Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Foxtrot0245

@Sackmanjones said:

Yea, both The Fury and The Pain were both so annoying IMO.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mandude

Probably the last game where I enjoyed the idea of Boss Fights. MGS4's weren't all that great. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Have to be honest it is my favorite in the series.  Also that was really long ladder, bro.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Foxtrot0245

@Sackmanjones said:

Yea, both The Fury and The Pain were both so annoying IMO.

@bartok
    Have to be honest it is my favorite in the series.  Also that was really long ladder, bro.
    I didn't mind the pain except for the aiming in 1st person was a must. Just that flamethrower was really shitty

That ladder was hella long bro!
    ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ArmedBear

This also had the best codec conversations in the series. Very tongue in cheek with all the B-movie and spy movie references. And you should come into the box.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

That ladder is so fucking long but I loved every minute of it because it felt like such a huge world climbing up it. Also 3 is the best in the series without question. I'm looking forward to the 3DS version.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kingzetta

best ps2 game ever

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

What I especially like about MGS3 is how it strikes the best balance between gameplay and cutscenes. There's some damned cutscenes in that game for sure, but there's certainly a lot of gameplay in there as well. Unlike, say, MGS4 where it was quite literally 5 hours of gameplay up against 15 hours of cutscenes. Although I could be remembering it wrong; perhaps MGS3 had a similar ratio, but in any case, MGS3 definitely balanced it more suitably. I never felt like I was overwhelmed with cutscenes just going on for like an hour+ straight during MGS3.

Some of the best bosses out of the entire franchise, the whole hunting/food mechanic was genius (using rotten food to poison The Fear.. like... Holy fuckballs that's incredible), an insane assortment of easter-eggs (that strange DMC-like nightmare scenario in particular) and unlockables, some incredibly rewarding and satisfying stealth mechanics--and not to mention that Naked Snake is a fucking Boss - literally in some cases of course. It was almost a little disappointing to have to head back to the more melancholic, somewhat depressing Solid Snake for MGS4. Damn... MGS3, I fucking love you, man.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Abyssfull Ya I think the longest cutscenes is around 15 minutes not including the endin which is of course the longest but that's when the game is over. There are quite a lot of cutscenes in 4 but I think 2 is the biggest offender of looooooong lasting cutscenes
    NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NickBOTT

Snake Eater was def amazing but MGS for the PS def has a special place in my heart I can't decide which one I like more

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

Yeah, it was (and probably still is) an amazing game, but I'm disgusted by peoples taste in saying it's the best. There is no best MGS game. Pathetic.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

My boyfriend and I played through the entire series together last year, as I hadn't played them before and he's really into that series. I have to say that it was a pretty incredible experience, all around. MGS3 definitely had some memorable (and kind of cringeworthy) moments. I distinctly remember Ocelot's "call" and never being able to take it, or him, seriously.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

@Abyssfull said:

What a thrill.

I'm searching, and I'll melt into youuuuuuu.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@Sackmanjones said:

@Abyssfull Ya I think the longest cutscenes is around 15 minutes not including the endin which is of course the longest but that's when the game is over. There are quite a lot of cutscenes in 4 but I think 2 is the biggest offender of looooooong lasting cutscenes

No, MGS4 is definitely the most egregious. I can recall the Act 3 ending with the boats was literally like 90 minutes long. And then there's of course that terrible exposition dump at the end from Big Boss.

I think MGS2 had some of the longest codec calls, though.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maluvin

I hated the Fury battle so much. My brother and I played the PS2 version of MGS3 over Christmas and we spent forever getting that battle done.

MGS3 is still my favorite in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best games of all time, and easily in my favourites, too.

Though, given subjectivity, 'one of the best' is largely meaningless and only refers to 'my favourites'.

Yes.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By DocHaus

Make sure to check out Peace Walker to see what happens next!

...okay, and Portable Ops too I guess but I'm never going to play that game.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpaceRunaway
    @DocHaus said:

I'd say you could probably skip it.  You can actually manually reconfigure the controls to be something closer to 4/PW (which works much better on the PSP's one analog nub), but the whole thing is so overwhelmingly goofy, which is saying a lot for a Metal Gear game.
    Story-wise, all anyone needs to know is

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DocHaus

@SpaceRunaway:

I just followed this parody comic and got all the story I really needed.

EDIT: Link is having issues...look, it's hiimdaisy/peachifruit/gigdigi, just google one of those with metal gear if you haven't seen her stuff already.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @DocHaus

Make sure to check out Peace Walker to see what happens next!

Any insight in how peace walker is? I really didn't look much into because, well I don't have a psp. Me and my buddy were planning on co op though
    Avatar image for favoritobandito
    FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By FavoritoBandito

MGS3 is one of my favorite video games of all time. Many flaws, but so enjoyable.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DocHaus

@Sackmanjones:

It's now out for the 360 and PS3 with remastered HD graphics in the HD collection if you want to buy a copy there. You can see the technical limits of the PSP while playing the game, but storywise I thought it was pretty good. You're essentially playing Naked Snake/Big Boss making your own army of mercenaries in Costa Rica and a lot of other plot stuff that I won't get into (read the wiki entry). The cutscenes are mercifully short compared to the bigger MGS titles, but I still thought that the plot was pretty interesting (aside from a couple of nigh-worthless cast members that you can ignore after acquiring them). Also, the bosses are giant robots which you actually have to destroy and/or cannibalize to make your own Metal Gear. Now that part is pretty cool, if frustrating at times (especially when you reach the "Custom" versions). It does encourage co-op play to take down vehicles and AI-controlled craft and salvage them for your army. Also there's a little easter egg where you can become a gun-toting Monster Hunter, and I'm told you can salvage items from their corpses but I have not gotten them yet.

tl;dr, Highly worth it if you're a MGS fan or you are a sucker who owns a 360 instead of a PS3 (like me), but be warned that the game was first made for the PSP, and the remastered graphics cannot hide the smaller-scale gameplay.

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By liquidmatt

@bartok said:

Have to be honest it is my favorite in the series. Also that was really long ladder, bro.

Oh you mean The Ladder? The secret boss fight? Easy enough but takes forever.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @DocHaus Well I have the hd collection on ps3 and that's why I was askin. Thanks though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.