David Hayter on snakes 'suicide scene'

#1 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

This was covered on 1up a while ago apparently but i have only just stumbled across it - a fan asking David if there were any disagreements on what he had to say/do in the metal gear maes, and after Davids quite detailed

(and i quite agree with)
Comeback, the guys is obviously quite eager to sit the fuck back down

#2 Posted by Exlutonian (167 posts) -

Couldn't agree more.

#3 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Jesus, I thought you said David Hayter committed suicide in the title.

#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Jesus, I thought you said David Hayter committed suicide in the title."
Lol ; i would be incredibly sad if that actually occured - David is incredibly talented
#5 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Not that I care much, but isn't that a spoiler in the title itself?

#6 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
Shawn said:
"Not that I care much, but isn't that a spoiler in the title itself?"
Nah - like 3 years ago there were vids of snake putting a gun in his mouth and shaking 
#7 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
OmegaPirate said:
"Shawn said:
Nah - like 3 years ago there were vids of snake putting a gun in his mouth and shaking "
I'm pretty sure that this is about Metal Gear Solid 4, though.
#8 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
systech said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Shawn said:
Nah - like 3 years ago there were vids of snake putting a gun in his mouth and shaking "
I'm pretty sure that this is about Metal Gear Solid 4, though."
Sorry :) allow me to elaborate
About 3 years ago there were preview videos of MGS4 and they showed old snake sat on a barrell putting a gun in his mouth and hesitating
#9 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
OmegaPirate said:
"systech said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Shawn said:
About 3 years ago there were preview videos of MGS4 and they showed old snake sat on a barrell putting a gun in his mouth and hesitating
"
Oh, I still don't get it, but... Okay, whatever.
#10 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

thanks for the fucking spoilers with the topic name, asshole...

#11 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
clubsandwich said:
"thanks for the fucking spoilers with the topic name, asshole..."
I would hardly call it a spoiler if its been shown in at least 6 different types of video over the past few years - half of which didnt even appear in the game and were promo - And to be honest it was talked about in a public press conference -and - im not going to go on , people will complain for the sake of complaining nowadays i swear.... 
#12 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
clubsandwich said:
"thanks for the fucking spoilers with the topic name, asshole..."
Guys, this shit is years old. Dick.
#13 Posted by Exlutonian (167 posts) -

I concur. Not a spoiler.

I was looking for the trailer to back this up but its been drowned out by all the more recent ones.

#14 Edited by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Come on guys lets not be mean ^_^ it was just showing an insight onto the input voice and character actors have over the game as a final product and the emotional attatchment that they go through - and then to discuss it -no need to cuss each other out <3 we all friends here 

#15 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

This is old and not a spoiler. The scene depicted in that trailer does not appear in the game.

Anyway, I agree with David that Snake shouldn't hesitate to kill himself. Just based on Solid Snake's personality in the first few games, he has that sort of attitude that when if he was faced with death, he wouldn't really care. So seeing that hesitation in the trailer seemed a little odd to me too.

Found the trailer, near the ending (10 minutes in) is the faux-suicide scene:

#16 Posted by Balls (526 posts) -

Woah, isn't the topic title a spoiler?

#17 Edited by Milkman (16519 posts) -
YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T READ THIS POST IF YOU DIDN'T BEAT METAL GEAR SOLID 4

I agree with him completely. Not only do I think he's right, on that but I think Snake should have actually went through with the god damn suicide. It should have been *gun in mouth* *BANG* *credits*. Not *gun in mouth* *BANG* *fake credits* *Big Boss bullshit* The cut scene at the end with Big Boss and Snake was the only cut scene in the game where I was like "Come on...is this over yet?" I thought the whole scene was fan service and just completely ridiculous. The series should have ended with Snake committing suicide. Like Hayter said, Snake should know when it is time.
#18 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

"Some stories can't be told by words"- LOL

#19 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Agreed Kojima is really losing his abbilty to tell the snake story he needs to stop.

#20 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -
systech said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"systech said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Shawn said:
"
Oh, I still don't get it, but... Okay, whatever."
oh yea, I remember that trailer, is was back went Sony was pimping out the PS3, then they show the MGS4 trailer people only care about 2 thing, the fact that snake is old and that his had a gun in his mouth. Everyone was going nut then they remember that the graphic was amazing.
#21 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Agreed Kojima is really losing his abbilty to tell the snake story he needs to stop."

It's pretty much over...

At least Kojima can create an immersive story, that stuff is clearly on its way out.
#22 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -
Milkman said:
"YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T READ THIS POST IF YOU DIDN'T BEAT METAL GEAR SOLID 4

I agree with him completely. Not only do I think he's right, on that but I think Snake should have actually went through with the god damn suicide. It should have been *gun in mouth* *BANG* *credits*. Not *gun in mouth* *BANG* *fake credits* *Big Boss bullshit* The cut scene at the end with Big Boss and Snake was the only cut scene in the game where I was like "Come on...is this over yet?" I thought the whole scene was fan service and just completely ridiculous. The series should have ended with Snake committing suicide. Like Hayter said, Snake should know when it is time."
agreed. the scene where sunny asks otacon where snake is and he says he is resting, he deserves his rest and the screen went black i thought that was the end and it would have been a very poignant and perfect note to end on. the rest of the stuff that followed was ok but when it did eventually end it didnt have the same impact
#23 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
Cube said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"Agreed Kojima is really losing his abbilty to tell the snake story he needs to stop."

It's pretty much over...

At least Kojima can create an immersive story, that stuff is clearly on its way out."
didn't he say that the last 2 times? that it would be the last game?
#24 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
Cube said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:

It's pretty much over...

At least Kojima can create an immersive story, that stuff is clearly on its way out."
Sadly yes :( I doubt will ever see a game so rich on story as Metal Gear Solid 4 was for a while, if ever.

I agree with what David said but - I dunno... just because he has killed people doesn't mean he would neccessarily not be scared to do it to himself. That does show him to be weak like he says but, I dunno.

Yeah I suppose he's right.
#25 Posted by eccentrix (1499 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
" I agree with what David said but - I dunno... just because he has killed people doesn't mean he would neccessarily not be scared to do it to himself. That does show him to be weak like he says but, I dunno.Yeah I suppose he's right. "
It sounded more like he was saying because he has killed people he doesn't have the right to be scared to kill himself.
#26 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@eccentrix said:

" @get2sammyb said:

" I agree with what David said but - I dunno... just because he has killed people doesn't mean he would neccessarily not be scared to do it to himself. That does show him to be weak like he says but, I dunno.Yeah I suppose he's right. "
It sounded more like he was saying because he has killed people he doesn't have the right to be scared to kill himself. "
Why are you dragging up a year old thread? 
#27 Posted by eccentrix (1499 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man:  Either I didn't realise how old it was, or thought it didn't matter because there couldn't be that many threads in the MGS4 forum, maybe both.

#28 Posted by Tornac (134 posts) -

I totally agree with the suicide scene. I felt the exact same way.

#29 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Kojima has been doing what makes for the most dramatic scene as opposed to what makes the most sense for what the character does since the beginning. He did what he did because its more dramatic than what Snake would "actually" do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.