Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Drebin Shop

ewok00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ewok00p

I personally love the Drebin shop because it adds a lot of customization. You could play the game as a straight up shooter, maybe play it like a sniper based game, or play it as classic Metal Gear Solid. I love the depth and sheer customization. I'm sure some people disagree and think that it takes away from the stealth experience, but I think that it is the perfect addition to the series.

So whats your view on the shop? Whats your favorite play style?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

I think they balanced it out better in Peace Walker where you would have to equip yourself for the mission at hand, and there were limits to what you could carry, and you had to manually initiate drops for ammo and health. In MGS 4 it felt a little cheap because every boss encounter I could just equip 5 different rocket launchers and cycle through them all before I have to reload.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By laserbolts

I honestly didn't use it at all when I played through the game. Just used whatever weapons were given to me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

To me it is useless because I always play stealth, non-lethal. And no guns at all when possible.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I pretty much just used tranquilizer darts unless I was forced to use something else.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Maajin

I think it's bullshit that that shotgun costs 1 million Drebin Points.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Jack268
    @laserbolts said:
    I honestly didn't use it at all when I played through the game. Just used whatever weapons were given to me.
    @MikkaQ said:

I think they balanced it out better in Peace Walker where you would have to equip yourself for the mission at hand, and there were limits to what you could carry, and you had to manually initiate drops for ammo and health. In MGS 4 it felt a little cheap because every boss encounter I could just equip 5 different rocket launchers and cycle through them all before I have to reload.

These two sum up my thoughts perfectly
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

@MikkaQ said:

Pretty much this. You gain so much money in a single playthrough that a few chapters in I could buy max ammo for the tranquillizer and other weapons. Although in its defense, I would say that I have never ever run out of ammunition of any kind in any other Metal Gear Game, safe for Peace Walker. With that said, I guess MGS4 isn't that different from its predecessor.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Nubster

I thought the Drebin Shop was really dumb. It ruined the flow of the gameplay. Metal Gear Solid has always been very slow-paced, thoughtful, and tactically-oriented, so the long cutscenes weren't at-odds with how the actual game felt. Crawling along a floor for twenty minutes and then watching a fifteen minute cutscene felt natural. However, by making the gunplay so simple and accessible, I felt encouraged to gun everyone down and move through an area in 1/4 the time it would take me if I were being sneaky, and I could re-stock on ammo literally whenever. money was so plentiful, you never had to worry about limits, and the 15 talking cutscene became a brick wall in the face of progress. It made me very bored with the story, in turn making me not care about the gameplay, and then I didn't finish the game. I thought the Drebin Shop, pretty simply, ruined the experience for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.