Getting started in MGO.

#1 Posted by essd0g (59 posts) -

I just started playing MGO and I was wondering what is the best way to get my feet wet. A lot of the freebattle games don't look noob-friendly or they are on maps that I don't have, and the automatching takes too damn long to find enough players. I've been screwing around in the training area but that isn't much fun.

Any advice for getting into some level-appropriate matches?

#2 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

Here's my advice: don't play MGO. 
There are so many better online offerings that won't leave you frustrated, confused, and will allow you to keep your respect for MGS4.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7093 posts) -
@Red said:
" Here's my advice: don't play MGO. 
There are so many better online offerings that won't leave you frustrated, confused, and will allow you to keep your respect for MGS4. "
Second that. 
#4 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

There are some lobbies that are for noobs, and you will find a lot of matches where the host kicks out the players that clearly are experts already and are killing everybody without dying. Look for those our create your own and be the host.
#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15623 posts) -
@Red said:
There are so many better online offerings that won't leave you frustrated, confused, and will allow you to keep your respect for MGS4. "
MGO is fun in its own way.
#6 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

MGO? HA, HAHA, HAHAHAHAHA

#7 Posted by CounterShock (419 posts) -
@essd0g: I just started playing as well and I found the easiest way is to just jump into some Johnny games and start playing tons of games. Also some servers are just practice, you could go to those.
#8 Edited by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

a little late to the party.  

the only people still playing are totally dicks who don't care that you know nothing.  

mgo is a very complex multiplayer- very underrated mainly because of the menu shoulder button controls that arent really fast enough for mp and it turned a lot of people away. other than that though, its an outstanding MP with tons of depth. Now for you to be coming in this late, the veterans of the game are soooooo far ahead of you that it would be damn near impossible for you to even compete. you'll just get headshot and CQC'd nonstop. get your throat slit over and over lol 

i would like to reiterate that this is a great underrated MP that brought a lot of new and amazing ideas to the table.
#9 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -
@Red said:

Just play MW2, or if you want 3rd person Multiplayer Uncharted 2 or Gears.
#10 Posted by NTM (7035 posts) -

Eh!? I like MGO. It's good. I think there are too many people that spend too much time on another games multiplayer to not care. I just hate how long it takes to install MGO... -sigh- Anyways, you have to know how to play Metal Gear Solid 4 well, before you can get to like this. A lot of people suck that played it whenever I played it like... five months ago. I don't know when I'll play it again since it needs to update. And I don't want to install it for hours. Oh... annnd, I'm not sure how to get playing. But whenever I played there was never any hassel to get in a game.
#11 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

No one should EVER play a piece of shit like MGO, it's just terrible and clunky, and all the networking crap that Konami has pulled is just stupid

MGS4 on the other is a fucking amazing game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.