Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Great game, but problems with MGS4 story (late to the party)

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PandaBear

So I'm super late to the party on MGS4 ... recently I played through MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 (in that order) ... and I beat MGS PeaceWalker when it came out. Anyway, I love this series, and I really like MGS4. I got a PS3 for Christmas and that was the only game I really was dying to play. And it did not disappoint. I just wanted to make that clear. I love this series and really liked MGS4 a lot ... but I have these issues with the story and I wonder if anyone else does too:

1. The story telling was better all-round in MGS3 - that game felt coherent, Snake's mission felt like it was both personal and world threatening and the cutscenes weren't overly long or over-blown. In contrast, MGS4 the cutscenes often told too much of the story and did so with little action - that final scene with Snake and Big Boss ... I mean that's the end for Big Boss? Invisible nano-machines kill him? That's the best they could come up with? And Ocelot being taken over by Liquid was part of their plan? What? I liked it wayyy better when it when it seemed like Liquid possessed Ocelot (maybe with help from Mantis?). And MGS4 holds the record as the longest cutscenes strung together ever at 71 minutes. Seriously, edit that shit down.
    2. The entire plan to bring down the Patriots hinged on so many things going right that I find it hard to believe it worked at all. I mean if Liquid Ocelot killed Snake at any point the world was fucked. Ok, I can accept that ... but I don't get why the world's biggest threat, Liquid's insurrection, should be excused because it eneded the Patriots. At the end of the game Snake should put a bullet between Big Boss's eyes - the guy is pure evil. Even his plan to end the evils of the world was pretty evil.
    3. The Patriots - remember the end of MGS2? I know it a devisive game, but I really liked it and the revelation about The Patriots seemed cool - a shadowy organisation running the world that only a select few know about. And then in MGS4 every asshole knows about them to the point where a global AI controlling the PMCs was called the Sons of the Patriots. I mean it's like the went from being the Illuminati to fucking Coca-Cola.
    4. Why the fuck did EVA care so much about the remains of Big Boss when it turned out they were nothing. I get it was a cover story, but Jesus she went a little far letting people die for them, dying herself and getting her son Snake fucked up too. I dunno, it seemed over the top.
    5. Namoi's back and forth got a little garting but then the "revelation" she has cancer and her nano-machines hold it back. Then she dies of cancer instantly when she turns them off. What? She fucking cured cancer!! I mean fuck everything else - NAOMI CURED CANCER AND TOLD NO-ONE!!! WHAT!? And she took her secret to her grave.
    6. FOXDIE makes Snake a walking WMD if he lives too long... okkkkk... you know this FOXDIE shit seems to be pretty shoddily made. I du
    7. Otcacon cries too much. Still.
    8. FOXALIVE ..? Why not just FOXLIVE to be the exact opposite of FOXDIE. I dunno... small point I guess.
    9. I get that Snake needed to get totally messed up to end the series, but he goes through so much and even right up to the final cutscene he's walking fine. After all the shit he went through in that game he can still walk? And why put the gun in your mouth? Put it to your temple. Looked so odd.
    10. And at the end of the game Solid Snake was used. Again. He was a pawn that was forced to do other people's dirty work. So once again Snake/player you're the dumbest guy in the room! Remember the end of MGS2 - the best thing about that was know that Snake wasn't meant to be there - he was an unaccounted for anomoly. I liked it better knowing no matter how much control the Patriots had Snake could subvert them all ... but no... he's another pawn. Brilliant. Who isn't a fucking pawn in these games?

So yeah ... it's a big rant. But like I said, I really liked the game. I mean gameplay wise it was excellent and a nice change for the series... But these are the issues I had. I just wonder if I'm alone....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.