How long is this game on average.

#1 Posted by MadMatr07 (200 posts) -

I rented this game yesterday. I have until Saturday to return the disc. However, starting Sunday I will be without my PS3 for a while and I work during the day so I only get about 4 hours to play a night. So here's the math from today through thursday I will have 12 hours and I will have from Friday at 5:30 PM through the night until I have to return it Saturday. Do you think this is enough time to finish the game?

#2 Posted by goth_bacon (88 posts) -

It is enough, if you skip the cutscenes.  But I think the cutscenes are very important to the game.  So if you are a fan, it won't be enough.  But if you want to play just for the gameplay (which, imho, is not the focus of the game, being a huge mgs4 its the story), then you could probably finish it by then.  The game isn't very hard, especially on the upper normal difficulty.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Wait, wait...watch me troll this like a pro:

If you skip the cutscenes, about 2 hours.
If you watch the cutscenes, about 5 years.

BOOYAKA!!!

Seriously, though...average is about 15-20 hours with cutscenes and lots of exploration.
#4 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

maybe 20-30 hours, but it really depends if you watch the cutscenes, which you should. WATCH THE CUTSCENES!!!

#5 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -

Took me about 22 hours with cutscenes my first time through.

#6 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

About 25 hours me says.

#7 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Took me about 10-14 hours on the normal difficulty during my first playthrough with the cutscenes.

If you're concerned about beating this game in one day, just play on a lower difficulty.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

On average about twenty hours. The cut scenes amount to eight hours of that experience.

#9 Posted by MadMatr07 (200 posts) -

Well I started playing it last night. In about 4 hours I was able to beat Act I. So I figure I am gonna try to beat Act II and III Tonight and Thursday night. Then finish the game Friday night even if I have to stay up all night. I think I should have enough time if I do that.

#10 Posted by MadMatr07 (200 posts) -

and don't worry I'm not skipping cutscenes because I would never do that. Especially for a Metal Gear game.

#11 Edited by Kush (8889 posts) -

You play 7 hours of the game watch 14 hours of the "game". At least that's how it relatively worked for me...33% gameplay/66% cut-scenes.

#12 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
Kush said:
"You play 7 hours of the game watch 14 hours of the "game". At least that's how it relatively worked for me...33% gameplay/66% cut-scenes."
ITs the other way around, its 7 hours cutscene 14 hours game.
#13 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -

Well down to my last 2 days. I have tonight and time before I have to return it tomorrow. So far, I just started Act 3. So it will be a tight fit but if I marathon I think I can do it. Monster run on the way home from work it is.

#14 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -
Matt_ said:
"Well down to my last 2 days. I have tonight and time before I have to return it tomorrow. So far, I just started Act 3. So it will be a tight fit but if I marathon I think I can do it. Monster run on the way home from work it is."

Oh forgot to mention I'm MadMatr07. I just created a newer account. Wanted a simpler name.
#15 Posted by Lozz (307 posts) -

I'm up to chapter 5, playing on the normal mode, taken 13 hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.