How much of MGS4 is actual game? (and other PS3 game stuff)

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Pie (7117 posts) -

I may be getting a PS3 soon and have been building a list of what games I would like to get. 
Now I have played through MGS4 before and know the story and have watched the cutscenes however that was a while back now so the only reason I would buy this is for the gameplay and shooty/ sneaky stuff however I cant really remember how much of that there is.  So help me.
Also I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me roughly how long Demon's souls, Valkyria Chronicles and Killzone 2 are please. 
Also out of my list could ya'll tell me what they would get out of my list with say  a £40-50 budget or just which 2 games they would get. 
Im thinking of maybe Uncharted 2 and Killzone2 
I would very much like to get Demon's souls if I could get it cheaper than that price. 
Valkyria Chronicles is about £8-£18 on eBay. Might try grab that 

Thanks!

PS3 games I wouldnt mind

May be getting a PS3 soon so this is just my list of games I should try get 
(ordered in price)

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Already played through it however that was in a very rushed way and I was unable to play through multiple times unlocking everything and doing it different ways (pure stealth, speed runs, action run. etc) (Listed as £9.99 Pre on GAME)

2. Killzone 2

I have not played through this. I like them First person shooters quite a bit. Good multiplayer. (Listed as £16.99 and £9.99 PRE on GAME

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Already played through it however that was in a very rushed way and I would like to play through it using cheats aswell (and I would just generally like to play through it a few times anyway). Multiplayer also makes this well worth a purchase even though I have played through it before (Listed as £19.99 platinum and £14.99 PRE Normal on GAME

4. Valkyria Chronicles

Just looks like a lot of fun and quite unique. Might be a little hard to find (Listed as £19.98 on GAME)

5. Demon's Souls

I have not played through this. Looks like the type of game I could play for a long time and I dont mind the high difficulty it has. (Listed as £37.99 on GAME/ I imagine pre owned in a shop it might be alot a cheaper)

6. Heavy Rain

Looks awesome Still a little pricey however (listed as £39.99 on GAME/ £32.99 Pre)

7. Resident Evil 5

When move comes out and if it's any good using move (Listed as £14.99 and £12.99 PRE on GAME)

#2 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I finished the game at 4 hours and 50 minutes skipping all the cutscenes. If you timed all the cutscenes it's about 10 hours.

#3 Posted by Pie (7117 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: I guess I can cross it off then
#4 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Pie: You can always rent it to see how it's like.
#5 Posted by Pie (7117 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Pie: You can always rent it to see how it's like. "
 I have already played through it before about a year and a bit aback so I know how it feels, just couldnt remember how much of it there was
#6 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

You can get through it pretty quickly if you're skipping stuff and know what you're doing. 

I still think it's something that's worth owning.

#7 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

I beat it in 23 hours. If you rush through then you can beat in less than 10 hours. I Took my time with it though.

#8 Posted by Justaddwater (291 posts) -

Shop around a bit more dude. You can get Valkyria chronicles for about £8, Demon Souls for £20-something and Heavy Rain is £20 pre-owned in blockbuster. 

google game price compare and use that as a starting point.

#9 Edited by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

If you do get MGS4 make sure you don't skip the Raiden vs Vamp cutscene. That shit is BADASS!

#10 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

It's about 9 hours of cutscenes, 6 hours of gameplay. 

Also, Uncharted 1 and God of War III?

#11 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I finished the game at 4 hours and 50 minutes skipping all the cutscenes. If you timed all the cutscenes it's about 10 hours.

"
Bullshit game is about 18-20 hours if you skipped all the cutsecenes and played it not on easy I'd venture it'd take about 8 hours Which is longer than most games (cough Splinter Cell)
#12 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
Bullshit game is about 18-20 hours if you skipped all the cutsecenes and played it not on easy I'd venture it'd take about 8 hours Which is longer than most games (cough Splinter Cell) "
one of the requirements for the big boss emblem in the game is for beating it on the hardest difficulty in under 5 hours. 4h50m can easily be done if you know what your doing, but i would say 10 hours is the average of pure game play without doing all the extra stuff you can do in a MGS game.

deamon's souls i think i had 40 hours on my first playthrough, but if you end up getting into it im sure you will go for a new game+.
#13 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -
@Lego_My_Eggo said:
" @Gabriel said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
Bullshit game is about 18-20 hours if you skipped all the cutsecenes and played it not on easy I'd venture it'd take about 8 hours Which is longer than most games (cough Splinter Cell) "
one of the requirements for the big boss emblem in the game is for beating it on the hardest difficulty in under 5 hours. 4h50m can easily be done if you know what your doing, but i would say 10 hours is the average of pure game play without doing all the extra stuff you can do in a MGS game.  deamon's souls i think i had 40 hours on my first playthrough, but if you end up getting into it im sure you will go for a new game+. "
Forgot about that speedrun.
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
yeah i bought a PS3 last month and i have a list of the big titles im planning to purchase, and MGS4 just aint one of them. it just doesnt feel right
#15 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

MGS4's ending was 2 1/2 HOURS! 

The game itself is about 4 hours.

#16 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

Yesterday was my first time beating it, and I was really satisfied with it. In fact, I played the entire series over the span of two months for the first time, and I felt that 4 wrapped up the story quite well. But really, you should take your time with it. There is so much to do in that game. I spent over 3 hours in one map just playing around, fucking with the guards and testing out the weapons. I guess the only complaint I have is that the game is too easy, as I didn't even have to retry a single boss fight. 

Still, if you have a PS3, you should own MGS4.

#17 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

Took me about 23 hours overall including cut scenes. I like to play it as stealthy as possible.

#18 Posted by GunstarRed (5489 posts) -

It really depends on how you play MGS4... playing it stealthy on a higher difficulty could take you up to about 15+ hours... but running and gunning it about 5 maybe.  

Valkyria chronicles can take an age...some of the missions can take up to an hour+ to finish if youre wanting to keep everyone alive.
#19 Posted by LiquidPrince (16186 posts) -

There's roughly 10 -11 hours worth of gameplay and about 8 hours of cutscenes.

#20 Posted by lilman1101 (1068 posts) -

It's actually a pretty long movie.

#21 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

Was it really that many cutscenes? I didn't feel they were too long.

#22 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
yeah i bought a PS3 last month and i have a list of the big titles im planning to purchase, and MGS4 just aint one of them. it just doesnt feel right "
I played and finished the game the weekend of it's release. It was cool in sort of an event-ish kind of way but I have no real desire to go back and play it. I feel as if it's just stopped being relevant. It was big back then because it was one of very few PS3 exclusives, but there are better looking and better playing PS3 exclusives out now, so the only reason you would get it would be to see the story which, if you're a Metal Gear fan, you probably have by now and if you're not a MG fan, it's probably not gonna appeal to you as much anyway.
#23 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Dude, MGS4 is just friggin awesome.  It's easily the best playing Metal Gear game, and it's when the series finally started to play better than any Splinter Cell game.  Sure there's lots of cutscenes, but they're crazy and fun too.  Stop quantifying the quality of a game by how long it lasts.  If that's all that matters to you pick up World of Warcraft and only ever play that.

#24 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

I got that Big Boss emblem. That was a bitch, or at least one part of it was.

Had to play super aggressively to get that time, rushing through troops. You'd be missing out a lot playing through that quick.

#25 Posted by sagesebas (1981 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Isn't the final cut scene like an hour and a half, I'm surprised the giant bomb guys never brought that up when they talked about the game
#26 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Of those games I own Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls.  You can probably figure out that I *really* like Demon's Souls...Valkyria Chronicles is a very good game, but it's a bit too weird for me (there's a flying pig and a lady with a giant drill runs around and kills your dudes).  Also, I get the impression that the "good" guys in this game represent Nazis and the bad guys represent Soviets.  Some of the "good" guys discriminate against the equivalent of "Jews" in your group.  How is that for weird?

#27 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
Valkyria Chronicles is a very good game, but it's a bit too weird for me (there's a flying pig and a lady with a giant drill runs around and kills your dudes).  Also, I get the impression that the "good" guys in this game are Nazis and the bad guys are Soviets.  Some of the "good" guys discriminate against the equivalent of "Jews" in your group.  How is that for weird?
I'd say the guys you play as are more like the Swiss.  Cornered between a Nazi Germany / Russia who own those concentration camps and the rest of 'Europe' which aren't so good either.  Discrimination is nothing surprising, but it's not like your faction is actually running those camps.

But yea, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are really great games too.  Everything on the list is really, but RE5 I bought for 360...
#28 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

I've beaten MGS4 in about 3 and half hours without cutscenes.

#29 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It's only a 5 hour game, I have a screenshot i'll post later on if I can still find it. Did you know kojima counts the cutscenes as gameplay during your end time? Your all so fooled by kojima into thinking cutscenes are gameplay, that shows he's a good director, or your gullible.  

At torrents, which I can't really talk about in great detail, says there is 10 hours exactly of cutscenes video wise, if you want to download all the cutscenes, now factor in codecs.  

5 hours 45 minutes or I don't know, let me find my screenshot, I couldn't belive it years ago, so I took a screenshot incase no one belive me.

#30 Posted by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

If you are not invested enough into the fiction it may be worth missing this one, however, this is the best game in the franchise in terms of game-play.

#31 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

I'd get Demons'ssss Soulssss 
and either MGS or Killzone, Killzone's single player is weak on story but the back story that was put into the first game and the story that is on the net is really good, and it's a shame that it wasn't fully integrated, it makes you feel like a cunt because it turns out you're the bad guys. 

I bought Uncharted and once I clocked it in 10 hours I returned it for my money back, it was good, but I should have rented. 

#32 Posted by agentboolen (1846 posts) -
@Justaddwater:  Just to let you know Blockbuster's games used games is usually the most used of the used.  I always hate buying used games just because the disc can get scratched to the point it wont play, and with a rental store the fact is a ton of people have been handling those games.  I don't want to stick up for a company like Gamestop but at least they tend to look at how scuffed up the disc is before there buying it from the previous owner.  Blockbuster I doubt checks if the game works, i'm sure they just wait till someone complains after they rented it.
#33 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Gabriel:   here is a screenshot of my end time and stuff skipping all the cutscenes. You have been lied to. Look if I ever make a statement others might not belive in, I usually can back up my statement with proof if necessary.  If you disagree, it's merely your opinion that's wrong unless you can prove me wrong with facts, then I won't change my mind about it. Talk about not being objective.  

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR TO OTHERS, KOJIMA COUNTS YOUR CUTSCENES AS PLAYTIME, THAT'S WHY YOU SEE IT AS 20 HOURS BECAUSE YOU ARE SEEING 10 HOURS OF CUTSCENES AND A FEW HOURS OF CODEC CONVERSATIONS. CUTSCENES SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED GAMEPLAY EVER UNLESS SOMEONE WAS TRYING TO FOOL YOU BECAUSE THE GAME IS SHORT.

#34 Edited by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

If you've already experienced MGS4 then the other games on the list should be your priority.  In terms of gameplay, there's about 5-8 hours depending on how you play.  Once you have some spare cash you should probably pick it up for cheap, or wait for the inevitable subsistence-style special edition.

There are dozens of hours in Demon's Souls.  The game is oddly structured so it's hard to give a good single playthrough time, but I would put it at easily 30+ hours.  Then there's New Game+, and the desire to build new characters that will surely grip you.  There's also a minimum of 10 hours worth of homework to do at the Demon's Souls wiki site ((http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/)

Valkyria Chronicles will put at least 20 hours on the game clock, but expect to play for longer since there will be a number of times where you re-load a save in order to better perfect your strategies.

Killzone 2 is about 5-7 hours for the single-player campaign.  There's still a decent sized community for the multiplayer so you may sink plenty of hours into that.

If I had to pick 2 games from that list it would be Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (you should probably play the first if you haven't) and Demon's Souls.  If I had to pick a back-up 2 it would be Valkyria Chronicles and Killzone 2.

#35 Posted by Justaddwater (291 posts) -
@agentboolen said:
" @Justaddwater:  Just to let you know Blockbuster's games used games is usually the most used of the used.  I always hate buying used games just because the disc can get scratched to the point it wont play, and with a rental store the fact is a ton of people have been handling those games.  I don't want to stick up for a company like Gamestop but at least they tend to look at how scuffed up the disc is before there buying it from the previous owner.  Blockbuster I doubt checks if the game works, i'm sure they just wait till someone complains after they rented it. "
Well in the U.K. at least its not like that, Blockbuster's preowned games are always great quality, I tried to trade a game in before and they refused it even though it was in pretty good condition.
#36 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -

I don't know which games existence I hate more Demon Souls or Killzone 2. 
While playing Demon Souls is like being tortured via being made to watch the Transformers series from start to crappy Bay end, Killzone 2 can go fuck it's self. 
yeah Killzone 2 is bad.

#37 Posted by ProfessorEss (7524 posts) -

Don't forget about the first Uncharted - it's awesome too.

#38 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@ProfessorEss: No it's not, the second game is better and highly recommended instead. Okay i'm usually right and if you disagree your wrong. I can back up my statement with proof if necessary.  

Uncharted is 89% on gamerankings, not over 90%. Uncharted 2 is all the way at 96%, which is recommended because it fixes alot of the gameplay problems I had with aiming since drake moves in slow motion out of cover and everyone is like moving at fast motion. They simply got rid of that slow over animation for the second game. 

To the op killzone 2 is an okay game, a bit forgettable, is tough to control, the aim is like aweful and there is imput lag to make the guns feel heavier. However there is alot of action and a good cover system. I recommend that with realistic expectations over mgs4 and I recommend uncharted 2 instead. If you like cutscenes, you might as well play heavy rain. Look I used to like mgs games, however it's a glorified boss battle after boss battle, shooting everyone with a traquilzer in the face as fake stealth, rather it's action and depending on fan service with non stop cutscenes. If you moved on to splinter cell series like I did, you would think nothing of the story or the gameplay, which is overated by copying splinter cell's camera angle.
#39 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

MGS4 is for the fans.  Not the gameplay.  Its a thank you for playing, here's how it ends.  If you want Metal Gear Solidy action get  3 not 4.  

I repeat, 4 is solely for the long time fans and people easily amused by graphics.  The people who played 1, when it was first released.  If you want gameplay buy 3 or the VR missions.  The action in 4 is merely a catalyst for the story. 

#40 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -
@SoothsayerGB said:
" MGS4 is for the fans.  Not the gameplay.  Its a thank you for playing, here's how it ends.  If you want Metal Gear Solidy action get  3 not 4.    I repeat, 4 is solely for the long time fans and people easily amused by graphics.  The people who played 1, when it was first released.  If you want gameplay buy 3 or the VR missions.  The action in 4 is merely a catalyst for the story.  "
MGS4 was my first MGS and I got everything, really enjoyed it.

Don't buy from GAME op, try Amazon or shopto, way cheaper.
#41 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

MGS4's gameplay is perfect. How can Snake Eater's gameplay be better? Guns of the Patriots took everything that Snake Eater did well and perfected it. The controls, camera, combat, etc. It's all so much better than Snake Eater. The only part I though was a bit underwhelming were the boss fights, but the rest of the gameplay is fantastic.

#42 Posted by agentboolen (1846 posts) -
@Justaddwater said:
" @agentboolen said:
" @Justaddwater:  Just to let you know Blockbuster's games used games is usually the most used of the used.  I always hate buying used games just because the disc can get scratched to the point it wont play, and with a rental store the fact is a ton of people have been handling those games.  I don't want to stick up for a company like Gamestop but at least they tend to look at how scuffed up the disc is before there buying it from the previous owner.  Blockbuster I doubt checks if the game works, i'm sure they just wait till someone complains after they rented it. "
Well in the U.K. at least its not like that, Blockbuster's preowned games are always great quality, I tried to trade a game in before and they refused it even though it was in pretty good condition. "
Not sure you understood me, what I meant is since they have been rented by many people they are handled by a lot of different gamers.  And from what I know I don't think Blockbuster ever buys games used, they just sell the games that stop having interest from renters.  But what ever if your happy with what you recieve maybe European renters don't abuse discs as much, for me the less people handle the game the better.
#43 Posted by Justaddwater (291 posts) -
@agentboolen said:
" @Justaddwater said:
" @agentboolen said:
Well in the U.K. at least its not like that, Blockbuster's preowned games are always great quality, I tried to trade a game in before and they refused it even though it was in pretty good condition. "
Not sure you understood me, what I meant is since they have been rented by many people they are handled by a lot of different gamers.  And from what I know I don't think Blockbuster ever buys games used, they just sell the games that stop having interest from renters.  But what ever if your happy with what you recieve maybe European renters don't abuse discs as much, for me the less people handle the game the better. "

Ah weird, they dont sell ex-rental discs here, they buy games from customers (like gamestop) and just sell them.
#44 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -
@Pie: Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun and is a must own.  I also liked Killzone 2 a lot.  The multiplayer was actually quite good, but I am not sure if the community is still strong or not.  Uncharted 2 was amazing and there are still a lot of people playing it multiplayer, but the Single player is worth it by itself.

Maybe rent Heavy Rain first if you can.  What I enjoyed the most after I beat it was comparing how I did with friends to see what happened with their play-through. 
#45 Posted by agentboolen (1846 posts) -
@Justaddwater said:
" @agentboolen said:
" @Justaddwater said:
" @agentboolen said:
Not sure you understood me, what I meant is since they have been rented by many people they are handled by a lot of different gamers.  And from what I know I don't think Blockbuster ever buys games used, they just sell the games that stop having interest from renters.  But what ever if your happy with what you recieve maybe European renters don't abuse discs as much, for me the less people handle the game the better. "
 Ah weird, they dont sell ex-rental discs here, they buy games from customers (like gamestop) and just sell them. "
Yea thats different here they just sell the games that don't get rented anymore.  They actual have rental stickers on the actual game disc too.
#46 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

Killzone 2 would be a good game. I actually wrote a review on it very recently. You can read it if you're unsure. 

Also, I never played a Metal Gear Solid game before in my life, and I love EVERYTHING about MGS4. Even the online!

#47 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -

All of it?  
Differentiating between playable segments and cutscenes is fucking stupid. 
A game is a game is a game.  Whether it be Dragon's Lair or MW2.
Kojima games are about the fiction and the world, not about how much time you get to shoot stuff. 
If you don't like long cutscenes, don't play MGS4. You'll miss out on a great story and a great game...but apparently that means fuck all to some people.

#48 Posted by hedfone (1731 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:  go play 1 2 and 3 bub
#49 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

play it on the hardest difficulty and see how fast the gameplay goes.  

#50 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

Just got MGS4 shortly after my PS3, haven't watched it yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.