Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

I just can't play MGS4 on it's own anymore!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

I love this game, it is in my personal opinion one of the greatest videogames I've ever had the honour of playing. But I've since found that I can't simply play Metal Gear Solid 4 on it's own. You see just before MGS4 was released, I played through MGS: Twin Snakes, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS: Port Ops. Playing through much of the franchise I personally think made me appreciate MGS4 a whole lot more for everything it did. It felt special and made the overall story even more enjoyable. It was almost as if I had gone on this journey with Snake so the ending of the game felt more important. 

It's weird, though I'm sure there are others like myself out there. But I can't simply just play MGS4 straight away. I feel I have to playthrough the franchise again which can take time to truly enjoy MGS4 as a whole. I'm considering starting it up again since hearing about Metal Gear Solid: Rising (being the Raiden fan that I am) and I know it will be worth it. Just take sometime. 

Is anyone else like this? I personally recommend playing through the franchise again and then playing MGS4. You truly realize what a stunning job Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions did with Metal Gear Solid 4.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I've only played Metal Gear Solid 4 once. It nearly made me cry. I feel like I'll never be able to play it again. It's almost like it won't do it justice.

It's weird.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By killdave

Played it twice last year and now its covered in dust

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played it once, now I would just watch someone play the whole MGS saga up to 4 rather then play them myself.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " I played it once, now I would just watch someone play the whole MGS saga up to 4 rather then play them myself. "
    MGS endurance run?
    Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Ross
    @Binman88 said:
    "
    " I played it once, now I would just watch someone play the whole MGS saga up to 4 rather then play them myself. "
    MGS endurance run? "
    That would be AWESOME
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @Ross said:
    "
    @Binman88 said:
    "
    MGS endurance run? "
    That would be AWESOME
    "
    I agree. The story in the Metal Gear Solid games seems really good, but the gameplay is so horrible that I just haven't been able to play through any of them. An endurance run would allow me to get the good parts(with awesome commentary) without having to torture myself.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool

I only have MGS2 for the Xbox.  I tried it, and couldn't find it even slightly interesting.  Now it just sits on the bookshelf, in good company, but doing mothing.  Hey, I tried it.

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By AzureSupernova

Perfectly reasonable to feel that way I guess. I mean MGS3 will always hold a special place in my heart, right next to my girlfriend and George Carlin xD But I can see what you mean, together they are all great, but as one they are a masterpiece. How a work of art should truly be, each one compliments the last, with the finale turning out a splendid show of how the series has evolved from the start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.