I Learned Something About Myself Today

Posted by Sniipe (114 posts) -

Well, it was actually over the last few weeks, but whatever.  

Yes, over the last few weeks I have been "playing" through the entirity of the canon Metal Gear games, all the way from Metal Gear 1 to Portable Ops, which I am on now.  The caveat is, I'm not actually playing them.  I've watched Let's Plays for the console games and am watching a Longplay of POps.  I realized that frankly, I dislike stealth gameplay.  I always get caught and I'm not used to being patient in video games.  The reason I like Let's Plays is that during the boring stealth parts there will always be some sort of hilarious commentary, but during the many cutscenes, they go quiet.  This way I can easily absorb the story, which I love for all its craziness.  I'm doing this so I can play MGS4 which came with my PS3 but which I never played.  However, I might forgo that idea and just watch a Let's Play of it.  There is one going, but, not being patient, I don't want to have to wait for updates.  I'll probably watch when it's finished, though I'll certainly give MGS4 a try.  I played a little bit of POps myself, but it was mostly the controls that turned me off.

Also, I'll eventually write a big blog about a certain big video-game related thing that happened to me, when I stop being lazy. 

#1 Posted by Sniipe (114 posts) -

Well, it was actually over the last few weeks, but whatever.  

Yes, over the last few weeks I have been "playing" through the entirity of the canon Metal Gear games, all the way from Metal Gear 1 to Portable Ops, which I am on now.  The caveat is, I'm not actually playing them.  I've watched Let's Plays for the console games and am watching a Longplay of POps.  I realized that frankly, I dislike stealth gameplay.  I always get caught and I'm not used to being patient in video games.  The reason I like Let's Plays is that during the boring stealth parts there will always be some sort of hilarious commentary, but during the many cutscenes, they go quiet.  This way I can easily absorb the story, which I love for all its craziness.  I'm doing this so I can play MGS4 which came with my PS3 but which I never played.  However, I might forgo that idea and just watch a Let's Play of it.  There is one going, but, not being patient, I don't want to have to wait for updates.  I'll probably watch when it's finished, though I'll certainly give MGS4 a try.  I played a little bit of POps myself, but it was mostly the controls that turned me off.

Also, I'll eventually write a big blog about a certain big video-game related thing that happened to me, when I stop being lazy. 

#2 Posted by Chuggsy (556 posts) -

I tell people I've played Persona 4, even though I've just watched the ER. 

Also, I feel like I would rather watch somebody play Heavy Rain than play it myself. 

So I understand where you're coming from. And yeah, MGS4 required a lot less patience than the other games, give it a good try.

#3 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

I also hated Portable Ops. I say you won't be disappointed with MGS4. I think almost all the action sequences can be done with no regard to stealth if you wish.

#4 Posted by GamerGeek360 (1959 posts) -

I also love Let's Plays. I have only really watched the ER of Persona 4 but I love the idea of them. So much so, that me and my friend are gonna start making some.

#5 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

Ah you should play MGS4. It's pretty easy to play stealthy, but you can just go guns blazing if you want. You can put it on the easiest difficulty too. One moment in particular really made that game so memorable for me, and that relies on playing the game yourself. I don't think it translates through video alone.

#6 Posted by Sniipe (114 posts) -

How could I have not mentioned the ER?  It's my favorite thing ever.  

Ever since I can remember, actually, I've been just as happy watching my friends play a game as I was playing them myself.  It's always fun to do an MST kind of thing and also, I kind of suck at games.  But I will play MGS4 for sure. 

And GamerGeek, I'll look forward to your LP's!

#7 Posted by Captain_Insano (1563 posts) -

I don't feel that I really 'played' MGS4. It felt to me like cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, boss fight, mission briefing (meaning huge cutscene), some gameplay! oh wait, cutscene etc

It was a good experience but I could have just watched a Lets Play and gotten the same out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.