Kojima wants to make "MGS4 Complete Edition"

• 81 results
#1 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has said in a Twitter update that he wants to make a “complete” version of 2008’s Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, adding trophies and 3D support, but says that he unfortunately doesn’t have the time to do so.

“I wanted to make a ‘Complete Version’ with trophy support and 3D,” Kojima said, “but if I did that I wouldn’t be able to work on a new game. I wonder if someone else would make it for me.”

Anybody out there at Konami want to go ahead and make this? I’ll buy it again!

Source

#2 Posted by AjayRaz (12475 posts) -

3D MGS?  

sure! 

#3 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Pretty sure Kojima doesn't know how to add trophies or make it 3d to begin with, cus you know, programmers do that, but okay. Thanks for telling us what you're too busy to do, Koj.

#4 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

Hello developers, it's called a patch.

#5 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

How about giving us more than 5 hours and 50 (if you skip the cutscenes, since mgs4 factors in your cutscenes as actual gameplay) minutes of gameplay rather than giving us 3d. Or give us a ton of extra subsistence and VR style levels. I'm not that interested in trophies either over actually more content.

#6 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  LOL 5 hours gameplay? 

Did you just rush through each screen or something.
#7 Posted by ch3burashka (5239 posts) -

What's going to be the S-word adjective? 

#8 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Eh, I don't think this would be worth the time and investment. Trophy support and 3D aren't that big a deal for me right now. 

#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Maybe he should work on sorting out that copyright dispute so he can get the MGS theme back in the game.

#10 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@SpiralStairs: No of course not, it's my second playthrough at normal speed and it's nearly 6 hours, not 5 hours. I knew exactly how to defeat every boss so it was quite easy.
#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:
" @HitmanAgent47:  LOL 5 hours gameplay?   Did you just rush through each screen or something. "
I think he was trying to make a joke and be funny, because ITS ALL CUTSCENES HURRR. 
#12 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@SpiralStairs:  It's a requirement to get the Big Boss emblem.
#13 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Fallen189: No i'm not making a joke, I have a screenshot of this. The game just need more content and gameplay. How is anyone suppose to know how much gameplay there is if they are constantly bombarded with cutscenes? It's like no one wants to hear anything negative about mgs4 or something, yet i'm telling you ppl the truth. 

Here is a screenshot I always leave on my desktop because I often have to prove my statement with facts, or my clear time. Honestly I think kojima should give us more content rather than 3d or trophies.

#14 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Fallen189: No i'm not making a joke, I have a screenshot of this. The game just need more content and gameplay. How is anyone suppose to know how much gameplay there is if they are constantly bombarded with cutscenes? It's like no one wants to hear anything negative about mgs4 or something, yet i'm telling you ppl the truth. "
Except you're not, because there's more gameplay than most action games in there already.

I spent over two hours on the first screen experimenting with the game's combat, and I enjoyed it very much. Unless you run around shooting everyone without regard to being caught, you shouldn't be able to beat it in 6 hours.
#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

"Kojima wants a new car"

That's what I read.

#16 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

I would play it again if it came to the 360, but I'm certain that won't be happening. Trophy's really should have been patched in years ago and neither trophy's or 3d seem like things that Kojima would even be necessary for. Looks like he just felt like stirring some shit, I give it about a year before he resurfaces to talk about his last last mgs game.

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

I'd buy it again.

#18 Posted by DESIGN (4 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Fallen189: No i'm not making a joke, I have a screenshot of this. The game just need more content and gameplay. How is anyone suppose to know how much gameplay there is if they are constantly bombarded with cutscenes? It's like no one wants to hear anything negative about mgs4 or something, yet i'm telling you ppl the truth. "
Except you're not, because there's more gameplay than most action games in there already.  I spent over two hours on the first screen experimenting with the game's combat, and I enjoyed it very much. Unless you run around shooting everyone without regard to being caught, you shouldn't be able to beat it in 6 hours. "
He had to run-n-gun the whole way through. Not saying thats wrong (and In fact, its so fun to do that with all the weapons you can get) but to get the more challenging experience, crank up the difficulty(common  normal?) and sneak the entire way through.

Back on topic, I would love to have a "complete" version but its not necessary at all to enjoy that suburb game.
#19 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -

I don't mind the lack of trophies, nor do I mind the lack of 3D. 

I would like some VR Missions, some Alternative Missions, and a Skateboarding mode.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -

Bleh. I'm so past that game. 

#21 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@DESIGN: Your creating misconceptions, I just don't play it like you do, crawl and whole way through and use traquilers. To me that's not real stealth gameplay rather fake stealth (sam fisher doesn't crawl and use tranquilers) also it's impossible to play the game using real guns without being alerted since they can hear your gunshot, so I assume that's what everyone is doing is using traquilers, avoiding battle and using cqc. I crawl a bit, however I do a thing called walking, or running too. Just play the game again skipping the cutscenes, you won't know how little content there is unless you tried it. Only then can you justify yourselves to me.
#22 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @DESIGN: Your creating misconceptions, I just don't play it like you do, crawl and whole way through and use traquilers. To me that's not real stealth gameplay rather fake stealth (sam fisher doesn't crawl and use tranquilers) also it's impossible to play the game using real guns without being alerted since they can hear your gunshot, so I assume that's what everyone is doing is using traquilers, avoiding battle and using cqc. I crawl a bit, however I do a thing called walking, or running too. Just play the game again skipping the cutscenes, you won't know how little content there is unless you tried it. Only then can you justify yourselves to me. "
Only by wrecking a fantastic game by doing an abitrary playthrough to justify themselves to you online. 

I'll get right on it.
#23 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: Why would you skip cutscenes in such a story heavy game?
#24 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Eidderf: Well it was my second playthrough, so I knew the story and couldn't care less. I am a bit ADD, so I have problems with so much cutscenes, as a torrent said with all the videos, 10 hours worth of cutscenes, that's like 5 real movies, in one game. That's like watching a trilogy nearly twice.

@Fallen189:

Remember if you crawl an entire level using tranquiler dart, it's obvious you are trying to slow stuff down to a crawl. You can also walk and use real guns. I mean no one in real life will even fight like that, it's like playing crysis using the cloak function crawling your way to not get alerted, it's not realistic and slow.

I'll beat you to it and you can finish the game if I was doing a speed run in 1 hour 39 minutes, here is the proof. http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32186/t1211328-mgs4-big-boss-emblem-speed-run-1-39-57-edited/ 

I don't want to sound like i'm trolling on the topic (which isn't my intention) so i'll say the evidence speaks for itself and there are too many mgs4 fanboys defending it without objectively looking at things. I am saying as a customer, I want more content compared to 3d and trophies.
#25 Posted by Raineko (431 posts) -

A new game just for 3D and trophys? 
Would be a big waste of time. Just patch that bitch already and we know that you can´t do that anyways, Hideo, so just tell some programmer to do it!
#26 Posted by dr_pineapple (193 posts) -

fuck 3d

#27 Posted by EVO (3940 posts) -

I'm no trophy whore, but if there's any game that needs trophies it's MGS4. I finished it with 0 kills, 0 alerts and 0 continues without trophies and I'd gladly do it again.

#28 Posted by obcdexter (648 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Bleh. I'm so past that game.  "
Not enough, or else you wouldn't have clicked this thread! :P
#29 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

I would buy metal gear solid 4 again and again and again and again and again but as long as they add stuff

#30 Posted by Mystyr_E (1194 posts) -

for some reason when I saw the title, I thought it was like a director's cut with bunch of stuff that wasn't in the game

#31 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Fallen189: Remember if you crawl an entire level using tranquiler dart, it's obvious you are trying to slow stuff down to a crawl. You can also walk and use real guns. I mean no one in real life will even fight like that, it's like playing crysis using the cloak function crawling your way to not get alerted, it's not realistic and slow.

I'll beat you to it and you can finish the game if I was doing a speed run in 1 hour 39 minutes, here is the proof. http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32186/t1211328-mgs4-big-boss-emblem-speed-run-1-39-57-edited/ 

I don't want to sound like i'm trolling on the topic (which isn't my intention) so i'll say the evidence speaks for itself and there are too many mgs4 fanboys defending it without objectively looking at things. I am saying as a customer, I want more content compared to 3d and trophies. "
I don't think you know what those words mean. Also, I'll try and confirm things, even though you're so thick headed you can't take in any opinion but your own. Which OBJECTIVELY speaking, is wrong. 

" Y ou can also walk and use real guns. I mean no one in real life will even fight like that, it's like playing crysis using the cloak function crawling your way to not get alerted, it's not realistic and slow." 

Your "Argument" falls apart here. Nobody does this in real life? Are you implying that modern, real combat is currently done by proxy wars, robots, and men infected with FOXDIE? Furthermore, it's to create a feeling of immersion. It's actively participating in the form of controlling the character, and interacting in an immersive way. If you watched the cutscenes, which kind of explain the entire game, you might pick this up. 

Your point regarding the speedrun is also moot. I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you implying that because the game can be beat in 1h39, that EVERY person will do it in that, as opposed to the much more realistic 15-20 hours? 

I don't understand the argument you're trying to make, because your basic...points don't make sense. Fake stealth? It's called artificially creating a crux because it's you against 30/40 enemies. But by all means, play on the hardest difficulty, guns blazing. I'm sure you'll get the much more realistic vibe you're going for
#32 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Fallen189: my point is they count your cutscenes as gameplay for the clear time, it's not a 15 hour game, you can't play cutscenes. You are being decieved by the clear time. My other point is if it's possible to be efficient and finish it in 1 hour and 39 minutes, then 5 hours and 50 minutes means i'm not running through it. 

I'm sure your playtime will be like 20 hours crawling through it skipping cutscenes (good for you btw) however I don't play splinter cell games crawling, I do it by moving foward and taking ppl out. I do get alerts, however most of the time I just avoid battle crawling by them and running where there is no enemies, so it's like 70% stealth and 30% action. You can't tell me you have to not get alerts, my goal is to get through the objective with less alerts as possible, it's a stealth action game. You want a real stealth game, go play chaos theory, you are alerted, you die. You can't get by anyone using a real gun without a suppressor, or there will be an alert, or leave a dead body in front of others without getting an alert. That means your only option is to use traquiler darts which i'm offended that's the only way for stealth gameplay. I'm glad I no longer support this series and moved onto splinter cell. I own every single sony console mgs game, even the documentary of metal gear, subsistance, substance, everything. I was a long time fan of the series, however if you are not fan of other games in the series, you don't have the perspective to know what i'm talking about when we are talking about realistic stealth gameplay.  

I just find it funny how kojima thinks adding in 3d makes it complete, how about giving us a ton more levels.
#33 Posted by obcdexter (648 posts) -

Trophies would be nice, of course, since I played MGS4 to death and can't really find a reason to go back to it, although I kinda want to - trophies might be that little spark missing.
3D? Don't care about that.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -
@obcdexter said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" Bleh. I'm so past that game.  "
Not enough, or else you wouldn't have clicked this thread! :P "
I was hoping for some DLC or something. Not a few cosmetic updates.
#35 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

I just want to play this game without the fucking installs 

#36 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

You can also beat P3 in about 60 hours, but a lot of people say they play 80 hours or so. 

Just because you can beat a game in a specific time frame it doesn't mean that's the game's total value in length. Especially with a game like MGS4, being so story driven, it's the whole point. It's not doing anything spectacular in terms of gameplay. It's not a revolution. The combat works, but the story is the whole point. The cutscenes are the whole point. 

It reminds me of when David Jaffe went on about how people keep comparing GOW to Ninja Gaiden and how they were never trying to make a similar game. It's obvious Kojima wasn't intending to make a game with a lot of gameplay. 

#37 Posted by MrMuffinzzz (98 posts) -
@Fallen189: Fanboy alert! inb4flaming :D
#38 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Just do a Substance/Subsistence version with a load of GAMEPLAY devoid of story in, and make it available to 360 and PS3.  Then reap in the money.

#39 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

maybe they could do some graphical enhancements and fix the online issues too. i  would totally buy it. i stil have my copy, play it every once in a while, still a technically phenomenal game. 

#40 Posted by JohnKiller118 (62 posts) -

VR Missions/Extra Ops

#41 Edited by Fjordson (2432 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"How about giving us more than 5 hours and 50 (if you skip the cutscenes, since mgs4 factors in your cutscenes as actual gameplay) minutes of gameplay rather than giving us 3d.
#42 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -

I would kind of like better shooting a a better cover system if that could be arranged...

#43 Edited by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

Why the hell would anyone buy a 2+ year old game for trophies and 3D. 

#44 Posted by Redbullet685 (6083 posts) -

I didn't like it when I first played it. Just keep working on MGS rising.

#45 Posted by TheHT (11767 posts) -

I was waiting for a complete version akin to Substance and Subsistence, but then I couldn't wait any more and just bought MGS4.

#46 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -
@Redbullet685 said:
" I didn't like it when I first played it. Just keep working on MGS rising. "
Exactly, MGS Rising looks like it's going to be messed up awesome.
#47 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@TheHT said:
" I was waiting for a complete version akin to Substance and Subsistence, but then I couldn't wait any more and just bought MGS4. "
I did this like a month ago.
#48 Posted by L1GHTN1N (537 posts) -
@Cube said:
" You can also beat P3 in about 60 hours, but a lot of people say they play 80 hours or so.
I think P3 was one of the only games where I went above the advertised playtime. It said 70 hours for the main quest, I had almost 90 doing maybe 30% of the side quests.

I'd hope they would add more than 3D/Trophies in a new version if they did do a "Complete edition", that stuff is patchable.
#49 Posted by sagesebas (1970 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: You wouldn't and shouldn't have to buy it again, they do have patches but from what I've gathered Kojima is still in the stone ages regarding how he makes games
#50 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3081 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

How about giving us more than 5 hours and 50 (if you skip the cutscenes, since mgs4 factors in your cutscenes as actual gameplay) minutes of gameplay rather than giving us 3d. Or give us a ton of extra subsistence and VR style levels. I'm not that interested in trophies either over actually more content.

"
Exactly.

Thank god Kojima doesn't have the time. Don't let him place a finger on the Metal Gear franchise again. Too bad there's nothing worth replaying in that box. If they included a host of MGS2: Substance-style VR missions, I'd most definitely be interested. Otherwise just tie cinder blocks to this idea now and cast it into the ocean.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.