Metal Gear: A Series That's Dying with Each Release? (podcast)

Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

After being called out for talking too much about Metal Gear in what's meant to be a general video game podcast, Matthew offers the be all and end all of Metal Gear episodes with a tense discussion about the quality of the Metal Gear series and its possible future. Where there really any good Metal Gear games after Metal Gear Solid? How can Kojima Productions improve the series for the future? An extended show is dedicated to this issue.

Consider spreading the message about the No Quarter podcast. Every comment, tweet, fleeting remark or shout out helps! If you liked the episode, vote for it on Digg via the RSS feed or the Digg icon below, vote for us on Podcast Alley, or help spread the word with any other voting outlet of your choice. Your help is very much appreciated.

Covers: Game Over - Main Cover

Download .mp3

#1 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

After being called out for talking too much about Metal Gear in what's meant to be a general video game podcast, Matthew offers the be all and end all of Metal Gear episodes with a tense discussion about the quality of the Metal Gear series and its possible future. Where there really any good Metal Gear games after Metal Gear Solid? How can Kojima Productions improve the series for the future? An extended show is dedicated to this issue.

Consider spreading the message about the No Quarter podcast. Every comment, tweet, fleeting remark or shout out helps! If you liked the episode, vote for it on Digg via the RSS feed or the Digg icon below, vote for us on Podcast Alley, or help spread the word with any other voting outlet of your choice. Your help is very much appreciated.

Covers: Game Over - Main Cover

Download .mp3

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
"Consider spreading the message about the No Quarter podcast
No thanks.
#3 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

"  Where there really any good Metal Gear games after Metal Gear Solid? " 

I wasn't a huge fan of the Ac!d games but every other game I loved. Some may hate MGS 2 or Twin Snakes but I really liked both of them.  
MGS 4 was awesome. 
Even though I still want a new Zone of the Enders game. :D

#4 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

This sounds a little too much like an add for a podcast.

Regardless..  MGS3 was still the best in the series, in my opinion.  2 made some odd choices, but on the whole doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets.
4 I feel was the most disappointing, I only played it recently, and perhaps it had to do with how much it's been hyped.. but aside from the final two chapters, I was very underwhelmed.  Easily thought it was the weakest of the series. I'm a lot more excited about Peace Walker, which again in my opinion, is carrying on the better storyline.  (with Big Boss)

Twin Snakes was just bad..  It was nice seeing the game with better graphics, but the voice acting was no where near as good, many of the really dramatic or awesome lines from the original lost all their flair in the remake and were just delivered completely flat.  I also wasn't a fan of the over the top cut-scenes..  Seeing Snake cling to the roof Spider-man style was just wrong.

#5 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
I enjoy the whole series and as for where they go from here I trust Kojima to come up with something crazy to continue the series from here, but if that's too speculative for you, they already announced PeaceWalker and Rising.
#6 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
#7 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

Hey I heard you Giant Bomb guys like podcasts so I'm gonna advertise my podcast on the site you guys come to for podcasts!

@ArchScabby said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
"Consider spreading the message about the No Quarter podcast
No thanks. "

This.
#8 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
MGS3 is still my all time favorite game. i loved the gameplay, and the cut scenes/overall story was outstanding. 
#9 Posted by Xolare (1283 posts) -

The irony of your avatar compared to this thread makes me lul.

But really, the series has had some very rocky games like the AC!D or portable ops series. Hopefully Peace Walker and Rising will bring the series to an awesome pinnacle.

#10 Posted by essd0g (59 posts) -

I'm probably the only person in the world who liked Metal Geard Solid: VR Missions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.