Metal Gear Solid 4 And More Go Greatest Hits

Posted by Jeff (3657 posts) -
With the money you'll save, you can afford some of these weird Japanese energy beverages!
Sony has announced a new batch of re-releases for its Greatest Hits line. This brings the prices down to $29.99 for games that Sony has deemed to be "the best of the best." The following games will drop down to their new price on June 16:

Considering you can already pick up new copies of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for $34.99, that's not much of a break. And, sure, there are a few games on that list that I probably wouldn't call "the best of the best." But if you don't have Metal Gear Solid 4 and you own a PlayStation 3, steal forty bucks already. Then... lay low until the 16th, I guess.
#1 Posted by Jeff (3657 posts) -
With the money you'll save, you can afford some of these weird Japanese energy beverages!
Sony has announced a new batch of re-releases for its Greatest Hits line. This brings the prices down to $29.99 for games that Sony has deemed to be "the best of the best." The following games will drop down to their new price on June 16:

Considering you can already pick up new copies of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for $34.99, that's not much of a break. And, sure, there are a few games on that list that I probably wouldn't call "the best of the best." But if you don't have Metal Gear Solid 4 and you own a PlayStation 3, steal forty bucks already. Then... lay low until the 16th, I guess.
#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

GT5 Prologue is on the Greatest Hits before GT5 even comes out? Bummer.

#3 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6357 posts) -

I think I'll pick up Ratchet and Clank when I have a few extra bucks.

#4 Posted by TheHBK (5554 posts) -

Army of Two has been 20 bucks on the 360 for a long ass while now.  Sony is fucking this up because some of these games should have been price dropped already.  Anyway, everyone, face it.  GT5 Prologue is GT5, thats as close as that shit is going to get to coming out.  I think we can instead try and look ahead to GT6 Prologue.

#5 Posted by MAST (736 posts) -

I see Bad Company, brand new, for 20 bucks every time i go into Wal-Mart.

/shrug

#6 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

god..i've been waiting to get a ps3 and play MGS4 since forever

it's in the greatest hits now and i still don't have a f*cking ps3

#7 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

I expected a lot later shit.Even Resistance 2 i expected to be here.LBP atleast..The only thing that holds up today is MGS4 from the least.And DMC4 should be like 15 bucks now.

#8 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

MGS 4 has been selling for £17.99 for months and months now.

In fact all of those games have been on play.com dirty cheap for ages. (no ad intended)
Good news for playstation owners - bad news for retailers having to shift excess stock ...

#9 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I haven't gotten Ratchet and Clank: Future yet so that is probably a good deal. MGS4 is needed for anyone that has not gotten it yet.

#10 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

all those games are $20 at the k-mart by my house

#11 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -

if u own a ps3 and dnt have mgs4 go slap yourself right now

#12 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

i don't think Army of Two is considered to be "best of the best". its not even "good".

#13 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Good plan for Sony...I think LBP should be on that list as of now, since its been about six months.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9938 posts) -

Greatest Hit your console price already, Sony.  It's still like ~500 colony bucks here.

#15 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -
iiNF3RNo said:
if u own a ps3 and dnt have mgs4 go slap yourself right now
I don't though i did rent it an beat it.
#16 Edited by Redswipe (1 posts) -
#17 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2527 posts) -

I picked up Bf bad company used for $17.99 at gamestop like a month ago.

#18 Posted by thefiretemple (10 posts) -

I kinda want Devil May Cry 4, but $30 is still a bit much... used?

I think Uncharted, Resistance 2 and GTA IV should be added to the "Greatest Hits" list, though.  Shame on you, Sony.

#19 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -

It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of sales. Yeah, Army of Two had a ton of problems, but it sold a million units on PS3. Therefore, it's a greatest hit title.

#20 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Now I have no excuse for not having MGS4.

#21 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Nice list.

#22 Posted by bondfish (63 posts) -

thank god ratchet and clank went down it was still 60 bones for 2 years

#23 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Already?

#24 Edited by Nicholas (410 posts) -

Argh! I just bought Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, albeit from Gamefly.

#25 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Great opportunity to pick up Bad Company!

#26 Posted by AnthraX (36 posts) -

Cool! I'll be picking up Ratchet & Clank and GT5 Prologue.

#27 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Son of a bitch and I just bought Ratchet and Clank like a week ago haha. Oh well its a great game so it was worth the few extra bucks.

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -

Nice to see the second batch of Greatest Hits out.

#29 Posted by Radar (901 posts) -

Bad company has been 20$ brand new for a while now. It seems way too soon for MGS4 to already be a greatest hits... did sales dissipate that fast that they have to rebrand it? Doubt it. More than likely due to the rumored MGS4+O making it absolete (just like every other MGS).

#30 Posted by theredace (80 posts) -

Um, hello...Uncharted?  2 YEARS OLD!!!!!  How about Folklore?  Who's buying these games at $60 bucks 2 years later?  Sony is doing an AWFUL job with their pricing.  I would own a lot more games on my PS3 if they implemented greatest hits in a timely fashion.

#31 Posted by TheHBK (5554 posts) -
Redswipe said:
TheHBK said: Army of Two has been 20 bucks on the 360 for a long ass while now.  Sony is ... [more]

#32 Posted by DannyJ (445 posts) -

Now if they could only lower the price of the PS3

#33 Edited by Cerza (1653 posts) -
theredace said:
Um, hello...Uncharted?  2 YEARS OLD!!!!!  How about Folklore?  Who's buying these games at $60 bucks 2 years later?  Sony is ... [more]
Obviously not enough people since those games aren't greatest hits yet. As I recall, a game has to meet a specific number of units sold within a certain amount of time and still have a high enough demand for it to get on the greatest hits list. The Greatest Hits line is not just a pricing plan that allows Sony to keep shoving old games down our throats for new cash.

In regards to the topic, all I have to say is very nice. I am all about getting awesome games on the cheap.
#34 Posted by Euge (108 posts) -

I just picked up metal gear solid 4 for £10 brand new, I don't know the conversion rate but I'm guessing it's not 3:1

#35 Posted by jimmdogg (71 posts) -

Why are Uncharted and Heavenly Sword still full price?  Those two games falling to $30 would push my "buy a PlayStation 3 meter" to the right.

#36 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Wow can't believe they already put MGS4 on Greatest Hits I figured that it would be full price forever. I think I might pick up GT:Prologue, is it worth buying or should I just wait for the full version?

#37 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

That was quick, but its been a year soo, its about time!

#38 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@AnthraX said:
" Cool! I'll be picking up Ratchet & Clank and GT5 Prologue. "
NO DONT DO IT! Ratchet and Clank, fair enough, but do you really want to pay that much for a beta demo of GT5?
#39 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -
@dbz1995: I'm sure he'll take that into consideration five months later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.