Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy Support Possibly Coming Soon-ish

• 80 results
#2 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Timely.

#3 Posted by probablytuna (3604 posts) -

Do people really care about this though? After four years?

#4 Posted by MethodMan008 (809 posts) -

Well this is pretty damn weird..

Vita version incoming? Can't think why else they would patch in trophies other than the fans asking for it..

Cool I guess..

#5 Posted by llamaegg (225 posts) -

I'll totally throw it back in to unlock trophies, even though them finally adding them in is an odd choice.

#6 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Everywhere I go I see piles of the greatest hits version selling for dirt cheap. I never played it so having trophies is an even better excuse to pick up this title.

#7 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

@Hockeymask27: @probablytuna: @MethodMan008: @llamaegg: They probably want you to play through the fourth game again and refresh your memory before they announce the newest Metal Gear Solid.

#8 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Hmm...curious as to what took so long, but it it means playing through one of 2008's greatest games and one of the crown gems of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, then I am all for it.

Time to dust off my old copy of Guns of the Patriots after all of these years.

#9 Posted by probablytuna (3604 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: Well, I am planning to go back to it once I finish the MGS HD Collection... So that makes sense.

#10 Posted by Lukeweizer (2640 posts) -

If the Trophies are any good, I might spend a weekend playing it again.

#11 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

It's not that if people would care or not. It's the fact that a developer still cares about their old games. This is awesome and I would definitely buy a new copy of MGS4 if this happens.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MethodMan008 said:

Well this is pretty damn weird..

Vita version incoming? Can't think why else they would patch in trophies other than the fans asking for it..

Cool I guess..

And before that the online getting shut down. 
#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

Might give me another reason to play it. Why not?

#14 Posted by probablytuna (3604 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

@probablytuna said:

It's not that if people would care or not. It's the fact that a developer still cares about their old games. This is awesome and I would definitely buy a new copy of MGS4 if this happens.

I've never been one to understand why Trophies or Achievements are so important in games so pardon my questioning. Also, I know Kojima Productions clearly care about their past titles since they just released the HD Collection and the 3DS Snake Eater.

#15 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

It's funny because I just started a playthrough yesterday. :\

I think hope that this comes in some sort of Substance version of MGS4. Maybe they could remove all those installs in it as well and throw in some other goodies. I would double dip for that.

#16 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

What?

...OK.

#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Shit is never going to come out.

I'll be on my first deployment before this happens.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

I hereby announce my intention to get a PS3. This was what set me over the edge.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3195 posts) -

I love this game, and though I've never cared for achievements this might somehow give me a reason to go back. I wonder if there'll be any other updates. I played the game recently, and it's still incredible on the third go-round. But the cinematics are really long, twice as long as the story. The integration of the video and gameplay is impressive, but you end up skipping videos at some point, so it's affect is diminished over time. That said, they're grouped in relatively large blocks (for the series), which is nice. If you've never played it go play it. It's on everything right?

As a side note I think that special edition of the game you can get so cheaply now is my favorite box. Really awesome art.

#20 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I've been thinking a lot about replaying it since I haven't touched it since it came out, I guess some trophies could be a good a reason as any to get back in.

@Video_Game_King said:

@probablytuna said:

I hereby announce my intention to get a PS3. This was what set me over the edge.

What has kept you back so far? Is shipping ("space shipping"?) to the moon really that expensive?

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@RockmanBionics:

No, but it's generally a pain to buy video games from Earth, anyway, since I have to travel down to Earth and pick that shit up myself, no matter how you look at it. Oh, and I feel I should point out that previous post was a joke.

#22 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

@GERALTITUDE said:

As a side note I think that special edition of the game you can get so cheaply now is my favorite box. Really awesome art.

If you're talking about what I think you are, then I have that as well, and it is really nice. I got mine with my MGS4 Limited Edition PS3. Which is less nice, but I'm glad I have it.

#23 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Yeah, this is damn odd timing, but any reason to crack MGS4 back open is good.

#24 Posted by ESREVER (2682 posts) -

At least it won't have multiplayer/online trophies!

,_, /RIPmgo

#25 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

The Kojima-decipher in me says that this is him completing his vision of MGS4. Originally he intended Metal Gear Mk.II to be controlled via PSP, but the technology wasn't there and they were not able to do that.

And then with the news that they got MGS4 to run on the Vita, as is, at like 12FPS, it makes me think there'll be both a Vita version and the option to remote control MG Mark.II via... Vita.

#26 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

Well it's time I finally buy MGS4 and play through it again.

#27 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

That is such great news, I remember hoping this would get trophies patched years ago (this and Valkyria Chronicles) and even though I've played through it a few times I'm happy to have a new excuse to go back to it.

#28 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Well this is odd, but at the same time pretty cool.

#29 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

excellent excuse to play it again

#30 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

@probablytuna said:

Yes. XD

#31 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

Pretty weird, but maybe it will be enough motivation for me to finally play this copy I've had sitting around for 2 years. Not sure why but after finishing 2 I just couldn't get back into the series loved the first one and the second was ok

#32 Posted by PolygonSlayer (425 posts) -

A bit of a long wait, but makes sense if they are doing a re-release of it.

#33 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

It's been too long. But, I'll probably play through it again anyway, since it's been so long.

#34 Posted by Gabriel (4058 posts) -

LO Fucking L, just wished they included VR missions to accompany the 7 hours of gameplay. That said I'll probably play through it again.

#35 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Unless they release some new content, it is way too late.

#36 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

@probablytuna said:

Same here. I've never played an MGS game but have always been interested in MGS4. Not having trophies made me put it rather low on my priority list, but that patch changes things :]

#37 Posted by probablytuna (3604 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@pw2566ch said:

@probablytuna said:

Same here. I've never played an MGS game but have always been interested in MGS4. Not having trophies made me put it rather low on my priority list, but that patch changes things :]

Jumping into the series from MGS4 sounds like the worst idea. I highly recommend you play the previous ones.

#38 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Great 4 years later!

#39 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Jumping into the series from MGS4 sounds like the worst idea. I highly recommend you play the previous ones.

Why? Doesn't it work as a stand-alone game? Most sequels are made in a way that you can play them without having to play the previous titles... oh well, I guess I could get the MGS HD collection, but I'm not sure if I want to invest so much time in such outdated graphics, if new releases are already piling up on my list... ._.

#40 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -
@Morrow said:

@probablytuna said:

Why? Doesn't it work as a stand-alone game? Most sequels are made in a way that you can play them without having to play the previous titles... oh well, I guess I could get the MGS HD collection, but I'm not sure if I want to invest so much time in such outdated graphics, if new releases are already piling up on my list... ._.

No it does not. It's a fantastic game on its own, of course. But when you sit there and ask "What? Hm? Who are you? What's he talking about? Liquid? What's a Liquid? Who's the boss? Why does he have a mullet? What? Drebin? Who are the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo!?" every five minutes, it's not going to be very fun.

I recommend the HD Collection so you at least know what you're getting into.
#41 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@probablytuna said:

Personally I've always found the series to be really good fun since you can't really get that kind of entertainment anywhere else. It gets compared to Splinter Cell a lot but they're just too different in their execution to be any same. That plus MGS has some of the best boss battles I've ever played around with. To be honest I found MGS4 to be rather disappointing since it's more movie and less game for me. But that's just my €0.02 on it.

#42 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

That's pretty cool. I played through MGS4 ages ago and I remember I really liked it... but I don't actually remember much of the game, it's just like a blur now. Maybe I'll replay with the patchu.

#43 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I wonder if they'll have some way of recognising if people have unlocked items. I've already unlocked everything and it'll be a bit of a pain to start from scratch. I'll definitely be playing through the campaign again though.

#44 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@N7 said:

No it does not. It's a fantastic game on its own, of course. But when you sit there and ask "What? Hm? Who are you? What's he talking about? Liquid? What's a Liquid? Who's the boss? Why does he have a mullet? What? Drebin? Who are the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo!?" every five minutes, it's not going to be very fun. I recommend the HD Collection so you at least know what you're getting into.

Hmm, yeah, I see. If the fiction of a franchise is important to understand the following games, I should probably start with the HD collection...

@eroticfishcake said:

Personally I've always found the series to be really good fun since you can't really get that kind of entertainment anywhere else. It gets compared to Splinter Cell a lot but they're just too different in their execution to be any same. That plus MGS has some of the best boss battles I've ever played around with. To be honest I found MGS4 to be rather disappointing since it's more movie and less game for me. But that's just my €0.02 on it.

So I take you played all MGS titles? I only read that you can decide how you want to play it, either stealthy or combat heavy. Is it a bit like Deus Ex: HR?

#45 Edited by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

Oooh so they're gonna pull an Uncharted. Guess I'll put off my replay of the game some more until this is confirmed then.

Edit: oh nifty so it was already confirmed to be happening in August when they release a budget priced version to celebrate the franchises 25th anniversary, cool.

#46 Posted by Drebin_893 (2906 posts) -

Weird, I just ran through it yesterday. Still my favourite game of this generation, by quite a long distance, too.

#47 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@Morrow: I've played them all if you don't include the MSX editions. But no I wouldn't say it's like DX: HR since there are no upgrades to buy or anything but it doesn't really matter since the protagonists are very capable of doing anything that's required of the situation. At the very least you can modify your weapons/gear a bit (depending on which title you're playing with.) But yeah, combat and stealth are viable options though stealth is obviously the more sensible route to go with. It's basically how I also played DX: HR really.

#48 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@eroticfishcake:

I see. Unfortunately, I suck at stealth :[

Guess the franchise is back at it's old spot on my list... pretty far down ._.

#49 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

Fine. I'll actually beat this game now.

Of the games in the series I've played, this was the easiest one to me. You don't even need to stealth anymore; just shoot dudes with pretty middling 3rd person controls. Not hard at all.

#50 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

This is very weird, but I suppose that they want people to play this before they play Metal Gear Rising.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.