Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy Support Possibly Coming Soon-ish

• 80 results
#51 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

@Morrow: There there now. Don't feel too bad. I mean you could always play on the easiest difficulty...or we could just never speak of this again.

Anyway, topic on hand. I don't know if I care enough for trophy support since I don't care much for trophies anyway plus I don't think I want to do a no-kill run again.

#52 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -
@Morrow: To be fair, when played on the easiest difficulty, you could slam through it no problem.
#53 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Morrow: To be fair, when played on the easiest difficulty, you could slam through it no problem.

Tried that with Deus Ex: HR. Didn't work.

But it's nice that it seems to be possible in MGS. So you can be a sucky player and still experience the game, that's great :D

#54 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

People need to stop bumping threads from like 3 years ago.

Wait what

#55 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

Well this is nice. I just wish they would bring back MGO.

Maybe for the next game. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#56 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Morrow: You can also watch Gametrailers Metal Gear Retrospective video series it does a nice job at getting you in the mood to play MGS4 plus it explains the plot of the series , and recaps the events of the previous game leading to MGS4 chronologically in great detail is a really good video series, even if you're planing to play the other games at some point you should watch it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/gt-retrospectives/episode-guide

#57 Posted by MachoFantastico (4688 posts) -

Currently looking to play through the MGS:HD collection, so maybe checking out MGS4 might be on the agenda to.

#58 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -
@SaFt

They should make achievements you can only get in MGO.
#59 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@SaFt

They should make achievements you can only get in MGO.

Just for people to realize they can't get them because their loved game is gone and will never, ever come back. How cruel! I kind of like it.

#60 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Axing better late than never I suppose

#61 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -
@Morrow It works as a stand alone story but you would still be really confused a good portion of the time. They throw around a ton of names, places and jargon specific to the series. You might be able to play it and have fun but it won't nearly have the impact that some of the segments of the game will have on people who are more familiar with the series. If you still want to play it go for it. Its a great game just saying a lot of the story payoff is going to be lost on you.
#62 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -
@Morrow If your going to get the HD collection see if you can't download the first game as well. Dunno if MGS for PSONE is available in Germany but if it is get that too.
#63 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Thanks for your suggestion. If I'll ever play the MGS games, it'll take some time since my list of wanted games is huge, and my damn backlog is even bigger ._.

#64 Posted by TheRealJpoe (134 posts) -

Just finished this..........

#65 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

Way too late for me. I can't be bothered to go through it again in search for trophies. If Sony had have just implemented them from the start...

#66 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1052 posts) -

After all the rumors since the release ill believe it when i see it, and when i see it ill assume that the 360 version people confirmed every month for years after MGS4 came out is real to.

#67 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

@pw2566ch said:

@probablytuna said:

Do people really care about this though? After four years?

It's not that if people would care or not. It's the fact that a developer still cares about their old games. This is awesome and I would definitely buy a new copy of MGS4 if this happens.

I've never been one to understand why Trophies or Achievements are so important in games so pardon my questioning. Also, I know Kojima Productions clearly care about their past titles since they just released the HD Collection and the 3DS Snake Eater.

Too me anyway it's a record and a checklist. It gives you crazy shit to do that you wouldnt even try like go though Dead Space with only the Cutter, or Take the Gnome all the way though HL2 Episode 3 to put him in the space shuttle. One of my wishes in the next xbox update is to have the ability to choose 5 of your most proud achivements that show up on your profile. I would have GTA IV 100%, RDR 100%, Burnout Paradise 100%, all the spec ops on COD:MW2.

#68 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11024 posts) -

Neat! I needed a reason to play the game a thirteenth time.

#69 Edited by p_p_o_d (543 posts) -

And they are adding the option to have one full install at the start instead of 5 through out the game! 

I still cant get over they are doing this.... its been 4 YEARS. 

MGS4 never actually receved any patches AFAIK as well.  Well unless we count MGO lets just pretend that doesn't exist.   

I wonder with them going back and touching MGS4 again will we see a proper MGS4 Sub___ for ps3/  vita/  360 /wii u  /  toaster oven.

Maybe along with the trophy patch then can release some kind of VR mission and challenge map DLC that would be on the disc of a MGS4 sub__ disc.   

#70 Edited by NTM (7379 posts) -

I wanted to point out if it hasn't yet been pointed out, that not only are trophies coming, but a full install of the game will then be available along with the trophy update. So for those that didn't like sitting through the three minute or so install for new chapters every once in a while won't have to sit through them anymore.

Edit - Oh, the comment just before me mentioned it first! Ha ha. Funny...

#71 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

@Morrow: Metal Gear Solid 4 is more accessible to action fans than the previous ones are, or it's simply more accessible in general, though you have a lot of leeway to play it the way you'd like. The biggest problem is that MGS throughout has full of interesting characters, and the story is pretty complex, so playing through them all makes much better sense. Don't make the mistake by putting it down low on your "want to play" list, because I can guarantee you'll love the series. Play the HD collection, and I think you get the original for free, which is still a fantastic game although it's on the original PS.

#72 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@probablytuna said:

Do people really care about this though? After four years?

I hereby announce my intention to get a PS3. This was what set me over the edge.

you don't have a ps3? and you call yourself the king...

#73 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@NTM: Thanks for your input, I figured I had to play the earlier games to fully understand 4, I guess I'll do that, but I still have a huge backlog to go through before I'll start with MGS :)

#74 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

Personally I'm very excited. The Metal Gear Solid games have always offered a good challenge to get "New Game +" items like unlimited ammo, invisibility, and all that. There is such a huge variety of movements and methods to move through each area, MGS4 is a great game for replay-ability.

They are also patching in a full install, instead of the three or four separate ones you have to make currently.

#75 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Was just thinking it was time to give the series another play through, havn't touched 4 since I completed it back in 2008.

#76 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

@Anwar: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/07/metal_gear_solid_4_trophies_unlock_in_august is the only resource I could find that said that the full install option will be available to the patched existing copies.

Konami has confirmed that patched copies of Metal Gear Solid 4 will be able to take advantage of the full installation option. Good news all around, then.

The multiple install was dumb, but I always liked watching Snake smoke. This will be better and I just got MGS HD Collection as well.

#77 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

Maybe i'll finally do that Big Boss run..

#78 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

@Anwar: Yayyyyy. Time to go! :D Hopefully a lot of people will be returning to MGS4.

#79 Posted by Panelhopper (180 posts) -

Wow... the full install feature makes it 9gigs...(sizes up ps3 hard drive) could be time for some spring cleaning...

#80 Edited by NTM (7379 posts) -

This is a long download. Well, at least 15 minutes, so here I am for now. Be excited!

Edit - Never mind, it's about 40 minutes or so.

Another edit, last edit (I think) - It's installing all of the chapters now. I don't know why, but that's almost a little bit more exciting than the whole trophy thing. I love that they added this feature. 13 minutes left, it's about a 16 minute install. Man, I just wish it was all retroactive, that make it so I'd have all of the trophies, then again, what's the fun in that right? Still, it still kind of sucks, 'cause it's as if now, it was all for nothing. Oh well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.