MGS Teaser Site: A "5" or an "S"?

#1 Posted by BrickRoad (700 posts) -

So the Konami teaser site now has a count down, which runs out on the 22nd, this is actually in the source code as 200905221000. This is 4 days after today, the 18th, so i'm guessing we'll see the page change on the 26th and 30th also. The 'big' question though is whether the flashing character is a 5 or an S. A lot of people think it's a 5, and for all we know it probably is. But the instant I saw it flash up, I knew I'd seen it before. So I checked out the 2005 E3 trailer, and there it is.

The top MGS4 is what the E3 trailer shows after declaring 'Solid Snake in 3, 4, 5, 6". The 3, 4, 5, 6 is actually an M on it's side, the 4 from MGS4 and the 5 is the S in MGS. the 6 is actually the G, but I'm sure you all remember that. We know Snake wont be the MC in MGS5, which rules out the 3, 4, 5, 6 being a hint at Snake being in the next 3 games, and Big Boss was in 3.
So when asking whether it's a 5 or a S, remember that the last time Kojima Pro used it, it was an S.

Does this mean MGS4:S? Or could it well mean the obvious, MGS5?

Just for comparison I moved the S to the end of the logo from the E3 2005 trailer, to see how they look, and the middle one looks too confusing to be useable.

Common sense says it's a 5, but knowing Kojima it might well be another S, as in Subsomething game.

#2 Edited by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

I think It's an S, for a Substance/subsistence type game, possibly for the Xbox 360. Also, the MGS S bit could be a subsistance style update to the original MGS, as a downloadable game. So it's like a display of the releases. MGS 4 (which is already out) MGS S, and then MGS 4 S.

That's the way I interpret it anyway. But who knows, It'll probably end up being another iPhone game.

#3 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Umm, it's just a "teaser site" not a "mgs teaser site" so yeah... It could be, but we don't know yet. There's threads about the site already, though the 5 or S is newly appeared.

#4 Posted by MB (11297 posts) -

...and so begins another MGS4/360 thread. Oh well, only a couple more weeks until we know for sure.

#5 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

Its probably another subsomethin for the 360. At least thats what im hoping...

#6 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: But it makes the most sense if its some kinda of MGS game because it could either be a five for number 5 or a new subsomein.
#7 Posted by killdave (1074 posts) -
BrickRoad said:
So the Konami teaser site now has a count down, which runs out on the 22nd, this is actually in ... [more]
Hmm so the government WAS responsible for 911 ???

#8 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Or it could be Kojima fucking with your head.

#9 Posted by BrickRoad (700 posts) -
@Al3xand3r:  The meta tags list 'mgs' and 'next', plus the ! on the loading screen. But you're right, it might not be mgs at all.
#10 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 : Sunny

#11 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1733 posts) -

OMG, MGS45!!!!

#12 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

I wanna say a 5 but it seems kinda early doesn't it? Maybe a 360 port. At this point I'm convinced one way or another that a 360 port (albeit a poorer looking version) is coming eventually cause there's definitely a market for it.

#13 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

I think that it just translates to "Trophy Patch"

#14 Posted by MiasmaFett (129 posts) -

"I think that it just translates to "Trophy Patch" "

haha yeah :)

#15 Posted by ShadowSaber_806 (39 posts) -

Honestly, I think its too early for Kojipro to start a new Metal Gear, especially since I believe he mentioned the company would be leaning towards a ZOE sequel (I don't have the link, but I'm positive I saw it on psu.com). I think it may have something to do with raiden, with the thunder and lightning ijn the background, so hopefully it'll be dlc, a new form of the subsistance/ substance extra goodies.

#16 Edited by get2sammyb (6413 posts) -

I believe GAF hacked it and revealed it was a 5 -- when the current countdown ends it will change to "4" and so on. It does look like an S though.

#17 Posted by mxdirector (45 posts) -

there is simply no way it could be mgs5.

they are yet to release a substance version of the game? and dont think kojima isnt beyond milking a product, do i have to remind you of mgs touch on the iphone?

mgs4 substance makes so much business sense that if he doesnt announce it at e3, then we should actually be concerned about kojima's mental state.

also the S could mean substance. all the lighting could suggest the game will contain alot of raiden content.

#18 Posted by MrMuise (227 posts) -

MGS4 for the 360 (get ready for some hard drive installing fun!)
MGS as downloadable content
MGS4:Substance for ps3

Or it's all just a mind fuck and they're showing off the iphone game and laughing.

#19 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Obviously an S.. If it was 5 wouldn't it be MGS45. Am I missing something?

#20 Posted by DECA555 (400 posts) -
@cide: this has nothing to do with MGS4. So its either MGSS or MGS5. Which of those two makes more sense?
#21 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -

I think it's Konami's Tornado game.

#22 Posted by Volgin13 (189 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: yep he is pretty good at doing that. Remember: "I need scissors!! 61!" and not to mention Raiden's infamous streaking adventure!
#23 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

It's OBVIOUSLY the S from Snatcher.

#24 Posted by mxdirector (45 posts) -
DECA555 said:
@cide: this has nothing to do with MGS4. So its either MGSS or MGS5. Which of those two makes more ... [more]
well the game that makes the most sense is metal gear solid 4 substance.

#25 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

Tis an s.

#26 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

It's an S. Probably for Substance/Subsistysubsuhwuh? Hideo Kojima seems smart enough to realize that with the amount of plot threads tied up in MGS4, there really isn't anywhere that story can go. I'm not going to drop any spoilers regarding the ending, either, but it seems like Raiden's side of the story is sufficiently tied tight too.

#27 Posted by Riicochet (94 posts) -

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
Riicochet said:
Yes it would take that much discs to fit 37 GB on, you are hilarious.
#29 Posted by Snail (8469 posts) -
Riicochet said:
Box set 1 of 5.
#30 Edited by Kiemoe (1053 posts) -
I think it's going to be a multiplatform MGS5 that will have a completely different character playable, not Raiden. 1 had solid snake, then raiden, then big boss, then old snake, so I think it will have to be someone new.

Unless they just give Raiden a new codename.

EDIT: You know what, I changed my mind. MGS4S Sounds more believable, it's too soon for a 5th game 
#31 Posted by trophyhunter (5804 posts) -

I say its a sideways N *evil laugh*

#32 Posted by mxdirector (45 posts) -

it appears to be another countdown, a countdown to july 1st. which just so happens to be the day of microsoft's press conference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.