Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

MGS4 on PC?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Multiple discs are not the reason MGS4 will not go to the 360. It really is a matter of Sony trying to hold on to their exclusive plus the combination of Konami. If Konami thinks it would be really profitable on the 360 and PC, they would port them, but they probably don't see it selling much more on either of those platforms.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By AutomaticSnake

what will snake be holding when he controls Mk.II? a keyboard? lol anyway, this game was made 100% with the PS3 in mind, everything from psycho mantis talking about memory cards to no rumble to using the sixaxis to clear snakes stealth camo and shacking it to makes rosemary's boobs shake. this game will never be on anything other then the PS3, so buy one if you wanna play it.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I bet MGS4 will come to X360 someday around 2010 , but do not expect to see it on PC at all

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jedted
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    brukaoru said:
    "Multiple discs are not the reason MGS4 will not go to the 360. It really is a matter of Sony trying to hold on to their exclusive plus the combination of Konami. If Konami thinks it would be really profitable on the 360 and PC, they would port them, but they probably don't see it selling much more on either of those platforms."

Multiple discs is actually a pretty big factor. Hideo Kojima is a video and audiophile, and he dislikes having to compress things and degrading their quality. Compressing the video and audio of MGS4 from a 50GB disc to something smaller, or spanning it across multiple discs is something he's not likely to do. There are of course other factors as well.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By dsplayer1010
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "I bet MGS4 will come to X360 someday around 2010 , but do not expect to see it on PC at all"
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive
    brukaoru said:
    "Multiple discs are not the reason MGS4 will not go to the 360. It really is a matter of Sony trying to hold on to their exclusive plus the combination of Konami. If Konami thinks it would be really profitable on the 360 and PC, they would port them, but they probably don't see it selling much more on either of those platforms."
    yeah right, with dozens of publications handing MGS4 10/10 scores, and it has like a 94 on metacritic, and the fact that its being awarded in various categories everywhere (including GOTY at gamspot), this game would DEFINITELY sell a lot on 360 and PC. 
    And storage capacity is DEFINITELY one of the reasons the game isn't going anywhere, but definitely not the only one. 
    Gamezilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Gamezilla

I seriously doubt it, mainly for the same reasons why Sony has not shipped MGS4 to the 360. The only way I see it happening is if Sony struck some kind of deal with Apple, because Sony will do no such thing with Microsoft because it would give them a definite leg up in the competition.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Gamezilla said:
    "I seriously doubt it, mainly for the same reasons why Sony has not shipped MGS4 to the 360. The only way I see it happening is if Sony struck some kind of deal with Apple, because Sony will do no such thing with Microsoft because it would give them a definite leg up in the competition."
    well considering i can run far cry 2 very nicely on my newmacbook pro, it would be nice to have a game actually made to run on leopard, instead of having to run XP via bootcamp. 
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Gunner

I think its technically possible but it wont happen. Not unless they find someone else to port it to the PC for them and found a way to keep microsoft from trying to get in on it.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    LiquidPrince said:
    "brukaoru said:

Multiple discs is actually a pretty big factor. Hideo Kojima is a video and audiophile, and he dislikes having to compress things and degrading their quality. Compressing the video and audio of MGS4 from a 50GB disc to something smaller, or spanning it across multiple discs is something he's not likely to do. There are of course other factors as well.

"

You all better know that the uncompressed .ISO file (the sum of all files that is available on the disk )for MGS4 was 29 GB and not 50 GB

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Jedted said:
    "

AutomaticSnake said:

"what will snake be holding when he controls Mk.II? a keyboard? lol anyway, this game was made 100% with the PS3 in mind, everything from psycho mantis talking about memory cards to no rumble to using the sixaxis to clear snakes stealth camo and shacking it to makes rosemary's boobs shake. this game will never be on anything other then the PS3, so buy one if you wanna play it."

Those are some pretty lame excuses for keeping your precious PS3 exclusive.  Who really cares about a few inside jokes that only PS3 users will get as long as the story gripping enough to pull players into it?

"
    The fact of the matter is that they're still going to have to remove that stuff. Besides, there are actual PS3s in the game. I think there's actually parts in the game where they reference things like the Cell processor and even the XMB. Kojima was hell bent on batting it home that this is a PS3 exclusive.

daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

You all better know that the uncompressed .ISO file (the sum of all files that is available on the disk )for MGS4 was 29 GB and not 50 GB

"

That's still 20 GB more data than a dual layer DVD can hold. ;-)
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz

Can't ever imagine MGS4 coming to the PC at all really. Plus 50gb? hell no, it took about an hour for Age of Conan at 25-30gb to install from the disc.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "brukaoru said:

"

"

Yes and the rest was dummy files used to help the load of the game go faster. Without them, it would take much longer.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    LiquidPrince said:

Compressing the video and audio of MGS4 from a 50GB disc to something smaller, or spanning it across multiple discs is something he's not likely to do.

I should mention that Kojima has no problem with multiple Disks  as we've  seen in MGS2 -MGS3 substance in which they were all 3 disks , also the first MGS on PS1 was 2 disks .
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:

Compressing the video and audio of MGS4 from a 50GB disc to something smaller, or spanning it across multiple discs is something he's not likely to do.

I should mention that Kojima has no problem with multiple Disks  as we've have seen in MGS2 -MGS3 substance in which they were all 3 disks , also the first MGS on PS1 was 2 disks ."

Yeah but all of those were game on one disc and bonus features on the rest. He doesn't like splitting up his games. Which is where the Blu-ray jokes came from in MGS4.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    LiquidPrince said:

Yeah but all of those were game on one disc and bonus features on the rest. He doesn't like splitting up his games. Which is where the Blu-ray jokes came from in MGS4.

"

he certainly wants MGS4 to be its best but if Konami forces him to create a 360 version for the sake of financial purposes he would certainly do it since Kojima proved that he never prefer a specific console over another for his games by creating MGS on almost all platforms from Gameboy and PSP to Xbox and gamecube

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By pause422
    Jedted said:
    "

Kindof a dumb question but i was thinking since one of the issues people bring up when talking about MGS4 on the 360 is the need for multiple discs then why not port it to PC?  Graphically, from what i've seen, MGS4 looks as good as Crysis so don't tell me it's to intense for modern PCs to handle.

Would this not be plausible for MGS4?  Is Sony that strong about making this their #1 console seller or what?

"
    I really don't think it would fit well on the PC anyway, and no it definitely isn't as technically heavy as Crysis.
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Optiow

It would not sell as well because to my knowledge the game controls were developed specifacally for the Ps3 and so were the levelas and grapics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.