Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

My theory, please discuss (spoilers for the whole series)

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I say that we're gonna have two different time periods detailing the two main threads hinted at but not fully explored in MGS4.

1. Raiden's cyborg origin - The full story of his relation to Big Mama (Eva), his rescue of Sunny and his torture by the Patriots to make him into the kickass ninja he is today!
    2. The War - More insight into the conflict between Zero and Big Boss, told from the eyes of Big Boss himself (Naked Snake) whilst he was forming Outer Heaven, they can still use David Hayter as the voice!

I know this board isnt as active as the one on gamefaqs, but please discuss...
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Why is this spoilers for the whole series?

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Ryu

Sounds good to me.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Drebin_893: Well I'm just covering bases for what people might want to relate to when talking about theories for future developments
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Drebin_893

Ah, course. Sorry, man. Yeah, I think it sounds good, but nothing's beyond Kojima.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ket87

I like the concept of  a game based on the secret war between Big Boss and Zero would be cool, but I don't think having dual timelines would work. Spreading the focus out would be an injustice to both storylines. They just wouldn't seem as fleshed out if you had only 50% or less of the game time devoted to one storyline.

Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Log

I honestly could care less about Raiden's story, sure he was a badass in MGS4 but he was a god damn cyborg. For me its all bout Big Boss or ill be annoyed.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

something tells me this is just a new mgs4 with extra stuff, we'll get to rescue sunny from area 51, and do some crazy stuff as big boss for some odd reason. 

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I kinda thought maybe it was just gonna be a DLC pack and Koj could have kept his word about not doing another game, but after th Big Boss reveal on the countdown site, I'm thinking it's something bigger.

Oh and Ket87 I agree about it potentially losing focus if both timelines where being dealt with, but I also think that part 5 of a series such as MGS is predominantly being bought by fans of the previous games so they can know more about th story and overall mythos of the saga, I guess  you could liken it to LOST these days, with the general public giving up when more ludicrous elements are brought into the story.
    I think the flashback portions of MGS4, while they were intended to help newcomers to the story, ended up just being cool pieces of fan service, therefore further solidifying how much Koj knows his fans.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero

For all we know Raiden could be wearing eye color changing contacts and got his eye shot out and then went back in time to fight with Big Boss and save the world  >_>

Or they could be announcing Remakes for the PSP and a new metal gear game for PS3 featuring Raiden/Sunny.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

I feel like the cyborg they show looks too different to be Raiden.  I feel it could be Grey Fox and that the game will take place between Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Metal Gear 1.
    Or Kojima could just be royally screwing us all and it's just the Metal Gear Solid 4 update.  At the very least I hope it's MGS4 for the Xbox 360.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By FLStyle

Gray Fox had a normal human body until the time period between Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid so no.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Other Predictions were that it isn't Raiden at all, but Sunny because of her eyes being brown, her hair being white (But Raiden's is too) And the fact that he/she looks to feminine to be Raiden and Sunny was a main character of MGS4 (sorta).

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    Hmmm the Sunny angle could be quite cool, if she discovers the exact details of her mothers demise at the hands of Solidus, and then if it is revealed that who we think is Big Boss IS actually Solidus, that could be a cool little showdown.
    The point of this new way of marketing and hyperbole is to detract from the focus of Snake as the main protagonist, Koj knows well and good how much Raiden divided people, so he's treading lightly this time I think.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    ShalashaskaUK666 said:
    Hmmm the Sunny angle could be quite cool, if she discovers the exact details of her mothers demise at the ... [more]
    That would be pretty funny actually, considering if, Big Boss at the end was Solidus,  Solidus didn't kill Snake at end and it would also explain the emotional attachment Big Mama had to Solidus' body because she knew he was the real Big Boss?

I don't think that's true though...Because Remember when you first saw Solidus' body in the back of the van, and it went to his perspective for like 2 seconds and it showed him growl at Snake?
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I think he was just on life support and it was like a spasm to show he still had some signs of life in him, depending on how you define 'life' of course, but still didnt Eva always believe that it WAS Boss inside their? I havnt actually played through MGS in a little while but I'm sure she was fairly upset when Liquid threw the body on the burning boat, or am I making that up lol?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ShalashaskaUK666: i'd rather have richard doyle do the voice instead of hayter to be honest. 

One thing is certain. There is a new Metal Gear Solid game coming out for PSP, it was comfirmed via the Qore leak. You can't seriously think that crazy "next" Kojima site has nothing to do with a new MGS on PSP! However, I do believe there are two games. 
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Haha well the only tie we've got is the concept art relating to that particular time period with Boss, so yeh I'm inclined to agree with that assumption, but I like surprises, and Koj likes deliverin em!

As 4 Doyle, yeh he's awesome but it would only work for that age of the character, you couldnt have Hayter in MGS3 sounding like he does, then the exact same person (if it is him) with a different voice only a year or two later. 
    I think I'm a Hayter fanboy tho tbh so feel free to discount my ramblings lol!

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix

No no, it HAS to be Hayter that does the voice!
    And as for the PSP Metal Gear... blegh if that's the big announcement.  I mean I really liked Portable Ops, but with Sony's new digital distribution format and the rarity that I play my PSP, I'm not diggin' it.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @ImperiousRix: I know I mean with them announcing the PSPGo this year, they're gonna need flagship franchises to really push the platform, as they've clearly learned from th original PSP to focus on the exclusives, and not do ports of console games.
    Anyway I'll be happy if they announce whatever they want for PSP, but SOMETHING for the next gen hardware, either a Raiden bonus DLC for MGS4, or a whole new game
    Aeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By Aeon

I am so excited about whatever Metal Gear game is going to be announced. I messed around with those pictures from the countdown page ;P

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22  Edited By MachoFantastico

That sounds pretty reasonable I think, I especially would love to see more of Raiden's backstory. Being the Raiden fan that I am, I was always slightly puzzled MGS4 never truly went into why Raiden had become who he had become. I also agree with the Zero and Big Boss theory, I would love to see the actual moment when they go against each other. Though I think considering some of these questions were never answered in MGS4 probably means that Kojima had them planned for future games. He clearly as more to reveal and I can't wait. For me this new Metal Gear game is the most exciting thing about E3 so far.

While I also believe MGS4 will be announced for 360, I'm pretty confident that this new Metal Gear game will be a PS3 exclusive. A time exclusive at the very least. But I agree, there is so much more kick-ass story they could tell.

Anyone want to have bets on a full title for the game? Kojima clearly didn't want to mention any title in that interview.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

I think Kojima's going to make two games personally.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25  Edited By MachoFantastico

I've heard all sorts of theories on the actual game or games. One that keeps sticking with me is that rather then being one game set between two different time zones, it's possible that Kojima Productions (or maybe also some other developer) are creating two games that interact storywise with each other. Say that Raiden/Gray Fox/Adult Sunny Ninja character could be a key figure for a PS3 game while Big Boss or whoever he actually is, could be for a PSP Go! title which as already been technically confirmed.

But saying that, it's the actual look of the characters that just scream PS3 to me. They look to precise and well featured, reminded me a lot of some of the early Solid Snake shots for MGS4 when that was officially announced. So there is still every chance of this being one PS3 game. Lords of Shadow also keeps bugging me, more specifically that mask which seems very suited to that game. But that could mean Kojima Productions is working on both games... who knows!

It's hard to tell right now, the general theory going around is that we might actually find out official news even before the press conferences. So we will know very soon! Can't say I'd be super excited about a new PSP MGS game despite as much as I liked Port Ops. Considering the Famitsu interview, I just sense this is something bigger.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I was right!!!! :D I know Raiden's setting hasnt been established just yet but as far as Boss's does I was dead on!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.