Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

PSM3 speculations on MGS5.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So Dan Dawkins of PSM3 magazine had a really good, and well researched, article where he speculated on Metal Gear Solid 5. I suggest you go find a copy as it is a real treat for any MGS fan. On any case I thought I'd just give some interesting points from his article.

• The game will be set in 1970's (1974-1980 to be more precise) Africa and will feature Big Boss.
    • The game will follow events after Peace Walker.
    • Frank Jaeger and Revolver Ocelot will be returning.
    • The plot will focuses on the philosophical dispute between Big Boss and Major Zero which were central to the MGS4 plot.
    • Angola, South Africa, Rhodesia (neé Zimbabwe) and Mozambique were all mentioned as possible locations for the game.
    • Might feature a young Solid Snake.
    • The game might be Open World (though the author clearly stats that that feature could also be a "Project Ogre" related which at this point does not seem to be related to MGS5)
    • The game will be using the Fox Engine.
    • The game will probably be a Next Gen title and would probably be a multi platform release including the PC.

Again, check out his article. He goes into much finer details about his MGS5 speculations.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By randiolo

IT does not sound too bad, would have prefered to see young snake again. It will be hard to top Snake Eater if this is what they are going for.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai

@randiolo said:

IT does not sound too bad, would have prefered to see young snake again. It will be hard to top Snake Eater if this is what they are going for.

Will be hard to top Snake Eater period. :P

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Zleunamme

I'm wondering if Kojima Productions is going re-create a modern version of the MSX/NES Metal Gear. Not sure how the open world concept will work out. Maybe similar to Peace Walker where recruits are sent around the world to complete mercenary contracts. The only things known so far is that KP was hiring programmers to work on the new engine. They still working on the Z.O.E HD collection. They working on MGS HD for Vita and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Even with KP outsourcing their work, their plate seems to be full. It will be interesting to speculate what the next Metal Gear game will be. Hideo Kojima will have something up his sleeve.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Otacon

At this point a remake of the MSX titles isn't a question of if but when. As for this speculation, it sounds interesting, they could take the series in some new directions.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

@Otacon said:

At this point a remake of the MSX titles isn't a question of if but when. As for this speculation, it sounds interesting, they could take the series in some new directions.

To me it was amazing to see Kojima referencing that game in MGS 4. It's either complete trust in Metal Gear fans or complete lunacy. Can you imagine the meeting where he said that???

Kojima: And over here i was some Zanzibar Land reference.

Dev Team: You mean from Metal Gear 2?

Kojima: yes.

Dev team: The MSX game?

Kojima: *Dead eye look*

Dev team: Ok...Zanzibar Land reference.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

I would like them to dig deeper into the Les Enfants Terribles Project, with Big Boss meeting his "son".

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Rokkaku

I do like the idea of 70's Africa for a setting very much, Africa is still mostly virgin territory as far as video games go (RE 5 apart, of course), and Zanzibar Land seems to be about the only part of the mythology left to do on modern platforms, unless they add in something entirely new. I just want something from Kojima Prod. that isn't another HD collection or handheld remake! Ideally, their next announcement will finally reveal Project Ogre as a fresh, new IP, but I don't know if Kojima is even interest in establishing a new property at this point. Keep the cinematic style, the weird self referential humour and even the clumsy controls, but please give us a new universe to enjoy! I know you're reading thi...oh, whatever, you're going to be doing Metal Gear for the next 20 years, aren't you?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WalkerTR77

If it's like peace walker then I want no part in it. The concept sounds promising, though I was hoping the next game would be further into the future and you would play as Sunny and maybe Raidens son John. Then again the Metal Gear universe gets a bit mental the further forward you go so maybe going backwards is a good move.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

I a huge fan of the Metal Gears games , but I think we already have plenty to go around ... a new IP would be better

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

@mordukai said:

So Dan Dawkins of PSM3 magazine had a really good, and well researched, article where he speculated on Metal Gear Solid 5. I suggest you go find a copy as it is a real treat for any MGS fan. On any case I thought I'd just give some interesting points from his article.

• The game will be set in 1970's (1974-1980 to be more precise) Africa and will feature Big Boss.
    • The game will follow events after Peace Walker.
    • Frank Jaeger and Revolver Ocelot will be returning.
    • The plot will focuses on the philosophical dispute between Big Boss and Major Zero which were central to the MGS4 plot.
    • Angola, South Africa, Rhodesia (neé Zimbabwe) and Mozambique were all mentioned as possible locations for the game.
    • Might feature a young Solid Snake.
    • The game might be Open World (though the author clearly stats that that feature could also be a "Project Ogre" related which at this point does not seem to be related to MGS5)
    • The game will be using the Fox Engine.
    • The game will probably be a Next Gen title and would probably be a multi platform release including the PC.

Again, check out his article. He goes into much finer details about his MGS5 speculations.

Nothing I couldn't have told you. I've made the mistake before of buying PSM3 magazines solely on a MGS article only to find that they don't know more than I do, it won't be happening again.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive

so it's a sequel to a prequel of a sequel that was already a prequel?

fucking japan.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

@Three0neFive said:

so it's a sequel to a prequel of a sequel that was already a prequel?

fucking japan.

You know, when you put it that way, that definitely makes it sound like a Metal Gear game.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dropabombonit

I think Dan is spot on with this, go look at his GTAV predictions and he was spot on with those

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By musubi

I'm a huge MGS fan and I really dont want MGS 5. They finished the story with 4. Leave it alone and dont fucking ruin it.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WMWA

Whoa, this has been announced? Where the eff have I been?!

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TentPole

@wmaustin55: It has not been announced. This is just the speculation of some guy who works for a magazine.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

@Aetheldod said:

I a huge fan of the Metal Gears games , but I think we already have plenty to go around ... a new IP would be better

I think that's why Kojima has that "Project Ogre". Personally I think Kojima likes the Metal Gear universe too much to just let it go. From what it sounds like MGS5 is still at least 2-3 years away so I think by that time people will be ready for a new game in the series.

@wmaustin55 said:

Whoa, this has been announced? Where the eff have I been?!

The game? Not "officially". But Kojima has been dropping hints for the past 12 months on his tweeter account that all point that he is working on it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai

@Demoskinos said:

I'm a huge MGS fan and I really don't want MGS 5. They finished the story with 4. Leave it alone and don't fucking ruin it.

Well I really don't think it's gonna hurt anything MGS 4 did because it's gonna go back in time to the years Big Boss spent as a mercenary after his first dispute with Major Zero. it's really a part of the MGS timeline that was never really fully flushed out. I trust Kojima in that. He hasn't let me down before. Besides, if it means playing as Big Boss again then I'm all for it. Also, if young Solid Snake is featured then it'll be awesome seeing him meeting Big Boss for the first time. I was always fascinated by the Father/Son relationship between those two. Big Boss might have hated Major Zero for what he did but I think deep down he had some love for Solid.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By musubi
    @mordukai Possibly but I would just like developers to sometimes just quit before they end up ruining the series. I get why they don't. Business and art side of the industry are constantly at odds. I just dont think anything more needs to be explained.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.