Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

So my 360 just spoiled part of MGS4 for me...

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By hakunin

Let me just preface this with saying that I don't own a PS3 (yet) but MGS4 is one of the big reasons I'm gonna get one at some point because the MGS series is one of my alltime favorites and I'm looking foreward to playing the latest chapter of Snake's story for myself. I had been able to completely avoid any spoilers of any kind. I was completely in the dark about anything that happens over the course of the game.

I say "was" because 5 minutes ago I decided to log on to Live to see if anything new had come up. Also wanted to check out the demo for that Mark of the Wolves game with the gloriously engrishy description Jeff talked about in an article a few days ago when I see something called "SendUAMessage" featured on the Spotlight channel.

I decide to check it out and it turns out to be some video with two dudes with stupid haircuts answering questions from Xbox Live users, or something. So after answering questions about Halo: Reach and Natal (or rather, gushing on about how they will be the greatest things ever since sliced bread and the invention of the wheel, respectively) a question about what MGS: Rising is comes up.

So the two dolts start out by stating that "you of course haven't played MGS4, for obvious reasons". Yes you idiots, because no one in the entire world owns both consoles, right? And then the kicker:

"Well if you're wondering why Raiden looks like a robot, it's because [MAJOR MGS4 SPOILER]"

There was no spoilerwarning whatsoever that they were gonna devulge story details from MGS4. Frankly, I'm pissed. This kinda thing is not okay.

I'm sure some people will tell me I'm overeacting, but the MGS series has always had the story as it's major draw for those who love it and also the biggest item of scorn and redicule for those who hate it. I personally love it, and feel really pissed of at MS right now for spoiling a part of a game I was looking foreward to experienceing for myself.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hakunin

Let me just preface this with saying that I don't own a PS3 (yet) but MGS4 is one of the big reasons I'm gonna get one at some point because the MGS series is one of my alltime favorites and I'm looking foreward to playing the latest chapter of Snake's story for myself. I had been able to completely avoid any spoilers of any kind. I was completely in the dark about anything that happens over the course of the game.

I say "was" because 5 minutes ago I decided to log on to Live to see if anything new had come up. Also wanted to check out the demo for that Mark of the Wolves game with the gloriously engrishy description Jeff talked about in an article a few days ago when I see something called "SendUAMessage" featured on the Spotlight channel.

I decide to check it out and it turns out to be some video with two dudes with stupid haircuts answering questions from Xbox Live users, or something. So after answering questions about Halo: Reach and Natal (or rather, gushing on about how they will be the greatest things ever since sliced bread and the invention of the wheel, respectively) a question about what MGS: Rising is comes up.

So the two dolts start out by stating that "you of course haven't played MGS4, for obvious reasons". Yes you idiots, because no one in the entire world owns both consoles, right? And then the kicker:

"Well if you're wondering why Raiden looks like a robot, it's because [MAJOR MGS4 SPOILER]"

There was no spoilerwarning whatsoever that they were gonna devulge story details from MGS4. Frankly, I'm pissed. This kinda thing is not okay.

I'm sure some people will tell me I'm overeacting, but the MGS series has always had the story as it's major draw for those who love it and also the biggest item of scorn and redicule for those who hate it. I personally love it, and feel really pissed of at MS right now for spoiling a part of a game I was looking foreward to experienceing for myself.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

I just got into the Metal Gear series.  I am really taking a liking to it.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Pazy

Personally I think the "Cool/Hip Image" that...the UK Xbox Live Crew?..whatever there supposed to be I personally dont like them and there output (at least what I see) seems worthless. Its got terrible humour, like an guy on youtube pretending to be a funny presenter, and generally lacks on details and just delights in giving a bit of information then wasting time with a terrible joke or pun. Ive just stopped watching there stuff, and Spoilers without warning are not ok. Not ever.

Magnus_Bulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Magnus_Bulla

I dunno, I mean I feel your pain and if I were you I'd be super pissed about it too, but the game has been out for over a year now.

roddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roddra
    That's a shame, really. Most blogs and podcasts I've heard tell the audience to skip certain parts of their feed to prevent spoilers, if they're even mentioned at all. That they would nonchalantly ruin part of the story for you 'because you're on the Xbox' is flat out inconsiderate.

While the 'spoiler' isn't exactly a game-breaking deal, might want to drop them a line.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By mordukai
    @hakunin: What a bunch of tools. At least they didn't spill all the beans about the game. Coming from a guy that owns both systems(though I am thinking about getting rid of my 360) and played MGS 4 four times by now I say don't worry they didn't spoil anything major for you. PM me and tell me what they said that spoiled it for you. 
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

I understand not wanting to hear spoilers all too well, but I've heard the entire Giant Bomb spoilercast, and their game of the year talk, and I still want to play the game some day. People should always put a spoiler warning and actually give the viewer/listener a chance to back out, though. I guess there should be some sort of defined cutoff date for that spoiler warning, but no one has really set anything. I say a year and a half is about ideal. Not like you should have to do the math to figure out exactly 1.5 years from the games release, though.

Oh, and Snape Kills Dumbledore.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hakunin
    @Magnus_Bulla: I totally see your point. What the "statue of limitations" are for spoilers can always be debated.

What really irked me about this though, was that this spoiler came from an official Microsoft sponsored outlet. They deliberately spoiler a major part of the storyline for a game that can only be had on they're main competition's hardware. That is just a dick move. For example, if Sony released a video on the PS Network that casually spoiled the ending of Halo 3 I would be equally outraged, out of principle. And I fucking hate the Halo games.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @AndrewB: Don't you mean B*****s kills ***o?
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kashif1

out of wonder what was the spoiler.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine
    @hakunin: I feel really bad for you. I hate when people spoil things for me I care about. I remember I watched Matrix and 2 and I was going to watch friend and I told my friend I had to go to watch it on the phone and he told me the ending of the movie that pissed me off. Also, I watched the first episode of Lost and this girl told me which main character dies in the third season so I have to watch the rest of the series expecting him to die. That really pissed me off also. Spoilers Suck!
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB
    @hakunin:  Not much story to spoil in Halo. Well, okay, there's some admittedly bigger plot points to spoil in the last game, if you even care about the story. I don't think its as big a deal as you're making it out to be, though. They were legitimately trying to explain to people what made Raiden the way he is in the 4th game. Granted, they should be more considerate and realize there are people out there that were probably waiting on an MGS4 Xbox 360 announcement, against all odds, or people who do, indeed, own both consoles nad have yet to play MGS4 (which does seem weird, considering it is one of that system's flagship titles), but they didn't spoil the entire game, either. Just one point. Hell, I've heard worse about games that heven't even been released yet.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @hakunin: What was the spoiler?
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

All this talk about MGS4 makes me wanna play the game again.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    MGS4 SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYESMGS4 SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYES MGS4 SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYES MGS4 SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYES

I beat MGS4, and it seems to me Raiden should NOT be a robot because of that ending...

MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE MGS4 SPOILERS DONE
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Diamond: Well, it is something that is explained during MGS4 why Raiden looks that way in said title. We still don't know if it is him in Rising since he doesn't have blue eyes. Could be Sunny or *** ***, codenamed as "Raiden". Since Raiden was originally codenamed "Snake" in his beginning sequence in MGS2.

Also, I hate Raiden twice as hard in MGS4. He killed off everyone in *** *
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @Diamond: Well, it is something that is explained during MGS4 why Raiden looks that way in said title. We still don't know if it is him in Rising since he doesn't have blue eyes. Could be Sunny or *** ***, codenamed as "Raiden". Since Raiden was originally codenamed "Snake" in his beginning sequence in MGS2.Also, I hate Raiden twice as hard in MGS4. He killed off everyone in *** * "
    Yeah, but the teaser says Raiden's back and apparently the only part of him that is actually him is his brain, so it's possible his eye color changed.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hakunin

I realize I may have paraphrased what the dolts on that show said a bit heavily and given the impression that I though that they spoiled the reason why Raiden was all Grey Fox-y in MGS4. What they said was more in the vein of "this is why he looks slightly different in the Rising teaser because [SPOILER] happened to him in MGS4". Kinda stupid considering they claimed not a second earlier that no 360 owner ever had also played MGS4, but well...

Thanks to all the people telling me there is more to it than that though.

Still, I would have liked to have experienced that moment in the game for myself without any prior knowledge whatsoever.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @CL60 said:
    "Yeah, but the teaser says Raiden's back and apparently the only thing that is actually his is his brain, so it's possible his eye color changed. "
    You got a point. But I don't really remember his eye color in that scene. Worst scene in the game IMO.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @CL60 said:
    "Yeah, but the teaser says Raiden's back and apparently the only thing that is actually his is his brain, so it's possible his eye color changed. "
    You got a point. But I don't really remember his eye color in that scene. Worst scene in the game IMO. "
    That reminds me, that last scene, raidens son has brown eyes.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @CL60 said:
    " @Snapstacle said:
    " @CL60 said:
    You got a point. But I don't really remember his eye color in that scene. Worst scene in the game IMO. "
    That reminds me, that last scene, raidens son has brown eyes. "
    See? Worst scene. Didn't care to memorize those details.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Snapstacle said:
    " @CL60 said:
    That reminds me, that last scene, raidens son has brown eyes. "
    See? Worst scene. Didn't care to memorize those details. "
    Hmm, thank you for reminding me though, leads me to believe Raidens son is the Raiden from Rising.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hakunin

Wait, what, Raiden's son?!

Yeah I'm outta here. Damn, my thread decrying unwanted spoilering has backfired on me :)

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @hakunin said:
    " Wait, what, Raiden's son?!Yeah I'm outta here. Damn, my thread decrying unwanted spoilering has backfired on me :) "
    Well I did bleep it out in my comments. I mean, it is a pretty huge plot point within MGS4.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @hakunin said:
    " Wait, what, Raiden's son?!Yeah I'm outta here. Damn, my thread decrying unwanted spoilering has backfired on me :) "
    :O MAH BAD!
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CowMuffins

Snape kills Dumbledore.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
    @CowMuffins said:
    " Snape kills Dumbledore. "
    Holy shit! No fucking way!?
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By StarFoxA
    @CowMuffins: Vader is Luke's father.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hakunin
    @CL60 & Snapstacle: Haha, don't sweat it. This kind of spoilering, on a webforum, is entirely my own fault. It's another thing when a company goes out and spoils a plot point of a competitors flagship game without any warning.

@CowMuffins:
    How original. It's not like that (old) joke hasn't already been told in this thread....
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CowMuffins
    @hakunin: I don't read threads.
    AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By AzureSupernova

I'd totally be fucking fuming by now man, someone revealed Raiden's transformation into Emo Ninja and i'd go head hunting =S At least you have the rest of the game to enjoy? Look at the bright side, Raiden's just... Raiden, not like he's Snake or anything xD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.