This hasn't aged well.

• 78 results
#1 Edited by Mikewrestler5 (601 posts) -

I put this game in my PS3 last night and was shocked at how it has aged. 

The graphics, while looked good back in '08, are nothing special in 2011. The lip-syncing is awful, the characters' faces aren't even detailed, and the environments aren't as pretty as I once remembered. But it doesn't end there, unfortunately. The controls are severely dated. They're awkward, clunky, and sometimes even painful to play this game.

I once had high regard for MGS4, but I can't say that in 2011. Things have changed a lot since then.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Still seems fine to me.

#3 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

Still looks pretty and controls fine to me. They went to traditional TPS controls, I dont see how they can get clunky?

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

I think it still looks and plays great

#5 Posted by Aegon (5843 posts) -

Maybe you haven't aged well. Did you ever think of that possibility, huh? Didja didja huh didja?

#6 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

"The controls are severely dated". 

The controls were severely dated in 2008.. It's a Japanese game... 

Otherwise yeah, I think it holds up just fine.

#7 Posted by Kierkegaard (605 posts) -

Nanomachines did it. 

Also, MGS 4 is a total video game, yo. It's about beating the systems and finding AI exploits more than it is a challenge of essential skill or critical thinking. Every level, while multipathed, is still wide-linear and quite claustrophobic if you think too much about it. But, keeping myself hidden and ahead of my trackers in South America and that amazing microwave scene still have a place in my heart.

#8 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

I'd have to say, I disagree with you completely. 

#9 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (322 posts) -

I burned out on getting the big boss emblem like a year after it came out so I have no intention of ever touching that damn thing again.

#10 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

It still looks great.  Amazing game, nitpicky topic.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5480 posts) -

Nope, still looks amazing and  plays pretty well.
#12 Posted by Radar (904 posts) -

BRUTHAAA 
IT'S BEEN TOO LONG 

#13 Posted by super2j (1798 posts) -

I have no new complaints about this game. Those eggs on that frying pan have been seared into my memories. Game still looked good last year when i randomly played a bit.

#14 Edited by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Things have not "changed a lot" since 2008, dude. Metal Gear Solid 4 was clunky and awkward when it was released.

#15 Posted by NTM (7547 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5:
The graphics are just as good as they were. Meaning, they're still pretty damn good, and the graphics detail always seemed to be like that so the noticeable aspect on that haven't changed. The controls have always been different, and they don't feel clunky. So, everything is the same. No better, no worse. It hasn't aged.
#16 Posted by JTMosh (260 posts) -

Any game that contains a marriage proposal in the midst of a gunfight is okay in my book.

#17 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Mmmmnope. Can't say I'm seeing what you are. It could just be that you changed in some form or another, or were remembering the game in certain ways.

#18 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

that's been my opinion of every mgs. awesome when it comes out, crap a few years later.

#19 Edited by Voxatron (353 posts) -

I was just playing it awhile ago it still seems totally okay. I definitely think the time and all that stuff with the installation has to be taken into consideration though. 
Hey, the controls that's probably because stealth games pretty much died, otherwise it seems fine enough still.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Well the graphics were never the game's strong suit. The models looked nice but the textures were somewhat muddy and low rez even when the game was new. 

As for the controls, they were always sloppy, but it seems more jarring as game controls got more streamlined in the last three years. 

It was a really great game, and lots of fun to play through the first time but I don't think I could go back. I've tried and there's just too much wrong with it. The cutscenes which are a good half of the game are also not nearly as impactful the 2nd time, obviously.

#21 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3086 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" I put this game in my PS3 last night and was shocked at how it has aged.   The graphics, while looked good back in '08, are nothing special in 2011. The lip-syncing is awful, the characters' faces aren't even detailed, and the environments aren't as pretty as I once remembered. But it doesn't end there, unfortunately. The controls are severely dated. They're awkward, clunky, and sometimes even painful to play this game.  I once had high regard for MGS4, but I can't say that in 2011. Things have changed a lot since then.  What do you think? "
I would go ahead and point out that none of those things looked good in 2008. They were more befitting a 2007 title. Remember, Uncharted did everything better between what those two games have in common, and Uncharted was released half a year earlier and had a shorter development time. It really is ridiculous that it took Kojima Productions so long to put out something so mediocre, but that seems to be an alarmingly common thing in Japanese game design today. (I have not yet played Gran Turismo 5, but there are plenty who would say the same applies to that game.)

The graphics simply didn't look good in '08 -- those textures were bettered in 2006 -- and the controls, as you say, are bad, and had been bad for a long time. Gears of War did better.

And here's my whole thing on this topic: this is Kojima Productions. This is Hideo Kojima. Aren't these people the gods of game design? Can't these people do no wrong? Isn't Kojima some sort of deity? Now I'm channeling Luke Smith, but, honestly, that crap has been BS since the PlayStation 2 era. Few more overrated developers than Kojima Productions. Nay, none more overrated than Kojima Productions.
#22 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I only got round to playing it at the end of last year and I thought it looked great.

#23 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wow, your expectations are set way too high. And what are you comparing the graphics too?

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I played it last year and had no problem with the audio and visuals of it. The problems with that game were probaly problems when it was new.
#25 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3527 posts) -

I don't agree at all. It's as good as it ever was. That being said, it's the worst of the 4 overall even though I love the first 2-3 acts like nothing else in the series, overall the other games are so much better. And while 2 is my favorite, 1's story is so much better than any of the others, and easily one of the best video games have to offer. Blah blah Metal Gear. 

#26 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

This game hasn't aged at all. It still feels the exact same as before.

#27 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Its all about the System..
#28 Posted by Protome (349 posts) -

I starting playing it for the first time yesterday (Yeah, I'm a little late to the party, but I only just got my PS3 in January) and I have to say I really disagree. It controls well enough for everything they had to fit into the control scheme, and the graphics are still fantastic.

#29 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

Funny this should come up I just got the game for the first time this week and have only played the first 2 levels but am very impressed. Controls seems fine and the game looks great if a little beige at the moment. I am guessing the colour scheme will change as I move around the world.  Also the crazy adverts and fake tv programmes they have made for the game were incredible I thought.  
 Also it's good to see a developer put some thought into making an interesting manual as well.

#30 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

(I think the guy is a troll). 

#31 Posted by leinad44 (537 posts) -

I'd say the gameplay's bad, but to me the graphics still seem fine.
#32 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
@leinad44 said:
" I'd say the gameplay's bad, but to me the graphics still seem fine. "
The gameplay is great compared to some of today's games *COUGH* Dragon Age 2*Cough*. I'd kill for a game this good this year. 
 Sure the controls are a bit clunky and you can't be Rambo like in every shooter. It's not for everyone I guess 
  I still think it's one of the best MGS.

Haters gonna hate
#33 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It's likely to still make me get glassy eyed towards the end putting it above hundreds of other, lesser video games.

#34 Posted by Evilsbane (4746 posts) -

I guess I need to play this game at some point

#35 Posted by DonChipotle (2852 posts) -

It was stupid and dumb and bad then, it remains so now.

#36 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -

Didn't think it was that great when it came out.  Don't imagine it's gotten any better with time.  MGS3 is still enjoyable to this day though.

#37 Posted by tooPrime (345 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" I put this game in my PS3 last night and was shocked at how it has aged.   The graphics, while looked good back in '08, are nothing special in 2011. The lip-syncing is awful, the characters' faces aren't even detailed, and the environments aren't as pretty as I once remembered. But it doesn't end there, unfortunately. The controls are severely dated. They're awkward, clunky, and sometimes even painful to play this game.  I once had high regard for MGS4, but I can't say that in 2011. Things have changed a lot since then.  What do you think? "
Maybe it just wasn't that special to begin with?  Also every boss' back story follows the exact same formula.
#38 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze:  Why are you comparing MGS4's controls to Gears of War?

If you know how to use a PS3 controller you should have no trouble controlling MGS4. It's not that complicated.
#39 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

There are a lot of games that 'haven't aged well', MGS 4 isn't one of them. At least not yet.

#40 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

The environments were always ugly as sin. The characters look good though. Not hugely detailed, but I think the point is that they look soft and fair skinned. The characters still look great IMO, but the rest of the game never impressed much, at least it didn't impress me.

#41 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5: If it had motionscan. It would still look good.
#42 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

It was an  overrated, clunky, ugly mess of a game back in 2008, and it is still now.  I was a Metal Gear enthusiest up through MGS3, but I guess my game preferences had changed when MGS4 came out.  Played it once through to finish the MGS story arch, but  will not play it ever again. 
#43 Posted by onarum (2302 posts) -

nope, still looks great to me.

#44 Posted by endless_void (703 posts) -

Still looks stunning, now I want to play it again xD

#45 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I don't know about the gameplay, but the graphics still seem top notch to me.

#46 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (768 posts) -

Great game. Sure it can't hold up graphics wise compared to other AAA titles that are released now, but it's still nice looking game with fun gameplay.

#47 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

You crazy! it hasn't been 3 years since it came out!

#48 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

LOL Looks great to me since I just played it for the first time last year.

#49 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I was debating whether to buy this or Resonance of Fate. I decided to borrow this from a friend while I wait for my order to come in.

I will be playing it (by myself) for the first time later today.

#50 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

I think you are crazy sir. Cahrayzy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.