Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Why Metal Gear Solid 4 is nowhere near as good as you think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @borodin: you didn't mention traquilers, which is what alot of ppl uses. I guess I better use more silencers because it's pointless using real guns. Mgs was just a normal game, avoid detection, no traquilzers so if you kill someone, you better take them out, they won't fall asleep. About octacamo, they are similar, however i'm talking about in realations to real life. You can actually stay camoflauged using camo in the forest, that's a fact. However you can't stay concealed against a wall bumping out from it from octacamo and because of the fact, it's unrealistic and I can't get into the game. I'm very grounded in reality, I know alot about real camoflauge and maybe if I didn't have the knowledge, I might of accepted it. However I can't because I know that camoflauge will never work if you are bumping out of a wall. Put a cardboard box on the wall the same color as the wall, if you are walking it starts to change shapes bumping out making it noticable. Do that on the ground, you can't hide that way. Kojima sort of didn't know how to deal with urban camoflauged so he went back and took the mgs3 concept and adapted it. Just like he did with mgs3 and adapted the tranquiler for the 1960's or whever the time period was. He's always trying to change things to get the game working, he doesn't care about realism and I can't go from more realistic splinter cell games to this fictional game.

Honestly one test for realistic gameplay is to ask yourself will sam fisher be caught dead using this tactic? Silencers, yes, traquilizers, octacamo, fake martial arts, crawling across the whole level, electric knife, hiding in boxes or barrels? No.
    leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By leftie68

Having been an unbelievably huge fan of the first three MGS games, I finally broke down and bought a PS3 a year ago mainly to play this game.  This game is a love letter to fans of the series, but I would have to agree that I was majorly disappointed with this one.    I don't need any drawn out analysis of the game to tell me I just did not have much fun playing through the game.  And it sure wasn't as impressive as when I first played GOW 1 or Uncharted 2, let alone the other MSG titles. 
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By borodin
    @HitmanAgent47:  I *did* mention tranquilisers. 

It sound's like you should try playing on a harder difficulty. The *exact* things you're talking about actually happen - if you've got octocamo on but are moving, it won't matter, the guards will see you move against the background (just like you say) and come investigate. Also, carrying around 20 different sets of camouflaged fatigues (as you do in MGS3) isn't particularly realistic or grounded in reality in any way, which just leaves the concept of blending in to your surroundings, which is the exact same concept as in 4, I really don't see the problem.  

Lastly, using what happens in the Splinter Cell games as the yardstick for realistic stealth in games is ludicrous.  
    EDIT: ok, maybe 'ludicrous' is a little harsh, but the splinter cell games have their fair share of unrealistic stuff regarding stealth.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#205  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's every bit as good as I think it is. Don't tell me my opinions are wrong.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By RE_Player1
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " It's every bit as good as I think it is. Don't tell me my opinions are wrong. "
    Exactly. MGS4 is one of my favourite games of all time but it certainly isn't the best game of all time. This whole blog post screams of your wrong and I'm right here's why idiots. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @borodin: While changing your clothes every few minutes isn't realistic, camoflauge is a realistic concept. Octacamo wouldn't work in real life. I might try it at a more higher difficulty level, if I have any motivation to play the game, I don't. I don't know if what your saying is true or not. Maybe the first level to test your theory. Splinter cell isn't totally realistic, however it's twice as realistic as mgs games, maybe not twice, however it's way more realistic. They actually got a real spy advisor for splinter cell chaos theory and motion captured krav maga which I train in for their martial arts. Also they are using a gun fighting tactic called center axis relock which is a real tactic. All mgs has is some guy called Motosada Mori , he doesn't know shit about real military tactics. Japan hasn't been in a war for quite a while, so he should be fired as a military advisor for the game.  

If you were to give me advice, since I won't meet dreblin for a while, what is the best way to get through the levels if I want to use a gun, yet I don't want to use a traquilizer dart gun. Do I shoot them with a silencer if I can get one early on, then hide the bodies? Sneak by ppl, where I will eventually be caught by some guy on the floor that's shot dead or traquilzed? Just crawl through the entire level blending in one part at a time where every soilder will walk right by me thinking i'm invisible yet in real life we know that's not true. Look how is someone who converted from the mgs series to the splinter cell series suppose to look at this game? All they see is boss battles, fake stealth, cutscenes, codec, tranquilers. I belive that over the years ppl sort of became fanboys for the presentation, story and characters, they overlook how little gameplay there is and they didn't even care if there is enough of it, as longs as there is a game. They are really playing it for the conclusion, or the last chapter of a trilogy imo. Mgs4 will fail completely to someone who never played a mgs game in their life.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By ZeroCast
    @ZanzibarBreeze:  If you're going to look at a games atrocities in every single detail; then you have no right to say it's not a bad game. Because clearly, you think it is.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Karkarov
    @Snapstacle said:
    " I don't believe MGS4 is the best of the series but it was necessary the way it came out. But also,

Nevertheless, Metal Gear Solid 2 remains one of my most beloved games, and I rank it in my top five “of all time”.    

Your argument is invalid. No more further reading from you! "
    Yeah I hate to be honest but after I read the line that said metal gear solid 2 is one of his top five games I went "Nuff said...." and ignored the rest of this ridiculously long thing.  If you thought Metal Gear Solid 2 was good your common sense has obviously flown out of the nest and isn't coming back.  Was MGS4 all that and a bag of chips?  No.  I don't recall anyone saying it was.  If it won best PS3 game the year it came out or something it was only because there weren't many good games on the PS3 that year.  MGS4 was a solid game, but most certainly not the best MG.  Also most of your complaints which I glanced over are weak at the absolute best.  You complain about the camera shooting thing with the 4 chicks but also say you would have forgiven all the games mistakes if it put the polygon nudes of the female characters in the magazines instead.....????
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#210  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

" And I just have to say, I fucking STOPPED reading when you fucking complained that his FUCKING MUSTACHE DOESN'T MOVE. Everything before that was a bit too blown out of proportions, but I totally respect all of those complaints. They are issues, even if they don't fucking matter for the actual enjoyment of the game unless your impatient as all hell. Which, if your playing MGS4, is a very bad thing for you to be.  BUT WHAT THE FUCK. Do you have ANY idea how a mustache behaves? Clearly not. At his age, with a mustache that short, its not going to fucking WAVE AROUND IN THE WIND.  I am NOT reading the rest of this. If your going to honestly make a big deal out of that, your can just go stfu. I respect you for being hard on games, I do the same, and maybe if you comb through here and remove all of the batshit complaints (and btw, your not allowed to complain about the MGS plots. Their fucking insane, and its SUPPOSED to be like that), I could respect this a lot more. But you complain about normal ass things, and even some of the strengths of the game. How many games have you seen with better hair than MGS?? At least it moves and doesn't look like something carved of wood like a Bioware game or Bioshock might have. "

You misrepresent my point. Of course facial hair doesn't flutter in the wind! My point was that hair changes over time -- grows, slants in different directions, among other things -- but that mustache texture does none of that. It's stiff, and it's not even well rendered.

@RE_Player92 said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " It's every bit as good as I think it is. Don't tell me my opinions are wrong. "
    Exactly. MGS4 is one of my favourite games of all time but it certainly isn't the best game of all time. This whole blog post screams of your wrong and I'm right here's why idiots.  "

Y'all need to read the introduction and calm down. Earlier in the thread I admitted that the title was sensational, as most article titles related to video games are (John Davison's "Too Long and Too Hard" comes to mind instantly; though I'm certainly not defending sensational titles using an argument based on popularity). If you actually read any of the introduction, which apparently you did not, you would realize that I am very clearly saying that I do not want to destroy Metal Gear Solid 4 for other people, nor am I looking to force my opinion on anybody. I've had to reiterate that point several times throughout this thread.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Eh, details like the mustache aren't a big deal. The only thing I know about the stache is that it has as many polys as one whole MGS1 soldier or something like that.  

I wish that "Naked Son" or whatever that part at the very end with the cemetary didn't exist.     

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @dudeglove said:

" One point, which I don't think you mentioned in your excellent post (no really, great critique), is that Snake has the ridiculous and annoying tendency throughout the whole fucking game to repeat every single thing he's just been told as a question ("Metal Gear?", "Shadow Moses?", "The philosophers?" etc.), as if Kojima thinks the audience has the attention span of a fucking goldfish. "

I have to say that I didn't notice that, but that's a good point about Snake in general. If you actually analyze the character of Snake, both Solid Snake, but certainly more so Big Boss, you'll find that they're actually inherently unintelligent men. I know their biographies say that they've got an IQ of 180 or whatever, but nobody with an IQ above 75 talks the way they do. I recall Snake in Metal Gear Solid -- "A surveillance camera?" That's right Snake, a surveillance camera is in a building where nuclear waste is being housed. Go figure. As you brought up, I'm sure there are plenty of instances throughout the whole script.

One I do remember that I mentioned is the whole "Dr. Madnar?" thing. What a useless and pointless namedrop that was.

You also bring up an interesting point with regards to Kojima thinking the audience has the attention span of a goldfish. I hadn't thought of it in that way, maybe it's because it's something I expect from United States-style storytelling as opposed to Japanese storytelling. For instance, in 24, all the characters are constantly reiterating what's going on. Every time the show returns from an advertising break there's a recap in the form of dialogue just to make sure that the audience has processed that there's a bomb in a building and there are hostages (for one example). It's a great show, one of my favorite shows, but it always struck me as a little silly.
    randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#214  Edited By randiolo

not to shit on your great amount of effort and your opinion which is a valid one.. but i thought it was great.. and i still think it is.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By borodin
    @HitmanAgent47: Sorry it took me so long to reply I didn't get a PM that you'd replied - I've played all the splinter cell games (I haven't completed double agent though because of a bug that prevented me but anyway) and all the MGS games and I very recently wondered if what you say about the gameplay in MGS 4 is true: is there actually anything to it, or is it a combination of cool cut-scenes and my enjoyment of the series? I went back and played it again and I can honestly say that I really enjoy the 'game' part of that game. I guess the fact I even questioned whether I did means you have a point there, but still, I enjoy that game and it's actual gameplay a lot. Because I had played all the previous games before playing MGS 4 though, I can't really say how it might feel for someone new to the series, but I think you're probably right and it would be disorientating, but at the same time I don't think that has to mean it's a bad game.

As for playing without the tranquilliser gun, it's pretty much the same as playing with it, when you put someone to sleep, they can still be found by patrolling guards just like a dead body can, so if you leave a corpse you either need to make sure it's not in a location that gets patrolled or you need to hide it in a bin/locker/barrel/whatever. I always viewed the tranquilliser guns as the 'non-lethal option', not the 'easy stealth option' so I still don't feel I understand your issue with them properly, but that could just be because I'm so used to playing the MGS games the way I do. I'm not sure.  

Lastly, check this out!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPVQal851U&feature=related it's obviously not perfect but maybe it's a little more impressive than you thought huh? :D
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @borodin: That video isn't the octacamo in mgs4. It's the stealth camoflauge in the first metal gear game where you can see through you which makes you invisible. Octacamo isn't like bending light and see through, rather the suit changes it's color and stuff yet you bump out. You can't see through ocatacamo like in that video.  

Yes that's my point, if someone never played a mgs game in their life, they wouldn't understand the gameplay or story of mgs4. Maybe there were so many fanboys as review critics that they might of rated the story instead of the gameplay. They were so attached to the game, they refused to see that it had any faults. Alot of time has passed by and alot of us are questioning their objectivity. However someone like me who has converted to the splinter cell series, didn't have that same attachment and didn't forgive all the cutscenes and characterization since splinter cell games only has gameplay and very few cutscenes. 

It might be difficult to not be attached to the character snake and his epic mythology, however since I do train in sam fisher's martial art in real life, I do respect the realism they bring, which futher makes me less attached to the fake cqc moves and fake military tactics. Look I just don't like the idea of a traquiler gun, even used in snake eater as a non lethal option. Sam fisher had non lethal options, however it's a rubber bullet and gas grenades or a tazer like weapon. I just find that more plausible than a traquiler gun, which probally doesn't shoot at very far distances.
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By habster3

Boring-ass game IMO; MGS1 is WAY better (and the best in the series).

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By MethodMan008

I loved the game.  One of my favorite games this generation.

But there isn't one game in existence that everyone likes, so no worries duder.  

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Sanryd

Dude, I didn't even play MGS4, nor do I plan to, but that was such a well thought-out, great read. That section in the beginning probably saved you 10x the time it took to write it that you would've been arguing with people over the points that followed in your post. If only everyone wrote like you...

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @tdk08 said:
    " Dude, I didn't even play MGS4, nor do I plan to, but that was such a well thought-out, great read. That section in the beginning probably saved you 10x the time it took to write it that you would've been arguing with people over the points that followed in your post. If only everyone wrote like you... "
    :D

Thanks from the compliments!
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By jNerd

It's okay, MGS Rising will makeup for any previous indiscretions (:

Kahnero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Kahnero

This is a very well done and articulated review. Sums up everything I feel about the game. It kind of inspires me to done a similar blog on Modern Warfare 2.

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008 said:
    " I loved the game.  One of my favorite games this generation. But there isn't one game in existence that everyone likes, so no worries duder.   "
    that's not the issue. The problem is people given mgs4 a free ride for all it's problems, and not taking a proper look at the game. 
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right: it's even better.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#225  Edited By GT-Man

I played the demo and hated it and I'am not buying
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By MethodMan008
    @mxdirector said:
    " @MethodMan008 said:
    " I loved the game.  One of my favorite games this generation. But there isn't one game in existence that everyone likes, so no worries duder.   "
    that's not the issue. The problem is people given mgs4 a free ride for all it's problems, and not taking a proper look at the game.  "
    Uhh.. what?  I can't speak for everyone (or anyone but myself for that matter), but MGS4 was perfect to me.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By bybeach

J.Cristy! I read 1/2 of that...well written! and some of it, like the plot mechanization's and such I would like to understand more about. and like you I hated the escort/act 3, except for the end, which of course I barely understood, and have the sneaking suspicion that assumption fails, also 

The we-men thing. well, I guess snake is heavily into women in a heavily playboy type way. except he always shot blanks, and may now have erectile difficulties. I found part of it silly, like taking orders from a ship commander with a very commanding butt. And the flighty lady scientist and the crazy boss lady enemies and so on. It was Sunny that bothered me really though .Kojima seemed to like to bang the creepiness with that bedroom cam thing right up to the edge. i did not like that..just didn't. Not healthy. 

But the story and such ..I knew it was way over the top going in. Bizarrely long cut scenes and plot twists became normal, just as I knew that once more I was going to have to watch Octagon have another fucking breakdown. come to think, I swore I didn't want to see that again, though last time  had another implied creep element to it, I thought they were brother and sister..confused.. confused about MG-2. 

But again, it was over the top. with interesting game play for me, despite the shooting system. I loved how I could access all sorts of things, including psychological counseling suspect of course by back story. And the graphics overall impressed me, or at least the clarity did. I had an excellent time with it, and acknowledge that it probably did leave itself open to a thousand criticisms. Cut scenes longer than 5 minutes, that right there. But I flowed with it. I guess I take the game as a whole, and if I actually did play through it again, would probably just dread the third act, and Octagons bawling driving me to rage kill, but still enjoy everything else about the ride. 

Oh, and keep Sunny cam off. 

edit..Raiden pissed me off also,(damn you are right about some of it.!) I got tired of his bleeding out White Whatever during that one whole cutscene, though Ikinda had to admire the  gutsy implied homo-eroticism of the double stabbing and such. From a nice safe heterosexual distance I might, uhm, add. There was a japanese cultural icon decades ago I remember reading about, who was into heavy martial arts, extreme nationalism, and you guessed it. sexually. He kept about 50 male students around him. He was a acclaimed artist who was inspired by some christian saint being peirced by arrows, and actually got dirty thoughts from it .  Kojima may have been drawing on this individual, maybe.

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  
    exactly. you are giving it a free ride. 
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By MethodMan008
    @mxdirector: no...  it was everything I wanted it to be. 
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  

so you wanted a badly paced game? a story line that made no sense? you wanted a completely mediocre multiplayer? you wanted stealth mechanics that didn't evolve at all (peace walker improved stealth 10 times more then mgs4). You also wanted sub par shooting? You wanted no improvements in animations or AI? You wanted installs after every act?  

If these are true, then fine, but what you wanted is a shit game, and guess what, that's what we all got with mgs4. 
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By MethodMan008

@mxdirector:  
    No....  The story line made sense to me, was paced great to me.  I had a blast with the multiplayer, team sneaking is one of the best modes I have played..  I thought the stealth was fine.  I thought the shooting was fine.  Installs don't matter to me...  It's not hard to find something to do for 2 minutes... Like check the forums.  

Your opinion is not fact, I don't see your beef with my opinion.

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  
    why because you are wrong about the story making sense, it factually doesn't. this isn't debatable this isn't a opinion it's a fact. 
    the rest of the stuff you are simply justifying. pace was great? maybe the pace didn't annoy you  but you should be abel to acknowledge a problem when there is a problem.in mgs3 a game that i loved, the pace didn't annoy me but i'm capable enough and open minded enough to see that the pacing was bad. 

installs, who cared about installs? who walked out out when the installs went on for too long? no one installs didn't effect the game at all. But when you defend this decision and justify it you walk in to the barrier of mindless fanboyism (in this case, a mgs4 fanboy). most people  (even those who love the game) are once again capable of pointing out the flaws and calling mgs4 out on it's installs. 

It's ok to call a game out on it's flaws. 
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By stinky
    @bonbolapti said:
    " I dunno.. sounds more like you want to force yourself to hate it. Forgive me if I don't have a huge reply :( I just don't want to sit here and psycho analyze it, but I'm sorry you had a terrible experience. "

this. no way am i going to read much of this as the part i did read was basically saying you have to agree with my subjective experience. 
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#234  Edited By nick_verissimo

The only thing I didn't like about MGS4 was the ending.  it was sort of a cop out, but I still loved the game.  

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#235  Edited By Kyle

Nope.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By MethodMan008
    @mxdirector:  The story made sense to me, what didn't make sense to you?  The pacing was great to me, but I don't think I've had a problem with the pacing in any game I've played other than FO3 and Oblivion because they bored the crap out of me...  I don't give a shit about installs... I install every game I play on 360, if it makes the game run better I don't have a problem waiting a few minutes...  I have my computer set up in front of my gaming TV so I just jump on the forums during long cut scenes I've seen before (not just MGS4, every game), installs, or load screens). 

Also, I'm not a fan boy, I am a fan of video games.  I play them for entertainment, I don't expect anything I play to be fucking citizen kane.  

the game didn't have flaws to me, none of the metal gear solid games have TO ME.  I understand not everyone likes it, there isn't one game in existence everyone likes, I have no problems with that, that is why we have opinions, and on a larger scale why we have free will...
    Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Cegoraph

Was the title of the blog really necessary? It's the equivalent of some snobby elementary school kid spouting "Its not as good as you think it is". This is coming someone who's contemptuous towards the Metal Gear Solid series as a whole. I'm surprised that MGS2 is one of your favorites, when it is just as ludicrously and poorly written, if not, more than Metal Gear Solid 4.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @ZanzibarBreeze: Well written and I highly agree with nearly everything written there. I also regretted the day one purchase of this game and got irritated by the massive hype it got actually. I would never give something like this a 5/5 and its incredibly disappointing to see Snake's final saga like this after the beautiful masterpiece of how Metal Gear Solid began on the 1st Playstation (which is to me by far the best all in all).  

This is how critics should have reviewed the game! They seemed to have turned a blind eye to all the damn childish and the poor acting gimmiks as well as the outdated gameplay mechanics of the game. If there is one thing I can identify that was really irritating in the game was how they over use the word "NANOMACHINES"! Another was the super cliche marriage proposal of Johnny Sasaki to Meryl while gunning down countless "ELITE" Frog Troopers especially by a guy who clearly has the fastest metabolism in the world. Not to mention all those HD TV commercials at the beginning which I think was a total waste and it's budget could have instead been used to refine the game much more than its current state. 
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#239  Edited By makari

Bu-but Kojima is a genius because he made it stupid on purpose!

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  
    The story made sense to you? Well you never under stood the story then. and yes you are a fanboy, because you have no critical thinking skills in regards to this game. Although maybe I am wrong, maybe you're not a fanboy, maybe you're just stupid, who knows. 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#241  Edited By Sooty

Very true. MGS4 was very poor compared to every other entry in the series.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By MethodMan008
    @mxdirector: Yes the story makes sense to me.  I've played MG, MG2SS, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, 

I play video games for enjoyment, not to be an asshole.
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  
    what the hell playing the previous games have to do with understanding the story? 
    Obviously you have completely looked over the crucial flaw in mgs4. so i shall point it out to you, maybe you can think critically for once about it, and work out that it doesn't make sense. 
    Considering that ocelot had planned the events in mgs4 (excluding sunny's involvement) and had invested years in to this one moment and even transformed himself in to another person for this cause (a issue which lovers and haters both agree was stupid in mgs2 and could never be explained away, so we shall forget that) given all this would you put your faith in a dying old man who could factually die at any time (that's the whole point of foxdie) to complete your master plan. especially when there are so many better and more practical options, naomi/vamp are two immortals in your employ. you then have a machine army you could send down there. why didn't he pretend to be osama bin laden instead of liquid and convince a load of islamic extremeist to go down there.  

The story is based on the retarded logic of a man trying to shoe horn solid snake in there. If this retarded logic makes sense to you, then i truly pity you.
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By MethodMan008
    @mxdirector: ...What do you think playing previoous games has to do with the story?  The events are interconnected.  

Naomi/Vamp are not immortal, they have nanomachines that allow them to heal from injuries at incredible paces, Ms. Hunter kills Vamp by neutralizing the nanobots in him... 

Why doesn't Liquid become an Islamic extremist?  Because Kojima didn't write iit that way. 

EDIT (for not being an asshole)
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By mxdirector
    @MethodMan008:  
    " Naomi/Vamp are not immortal" yes they are, they are immortal Because of the nanomachines. healing at a incredible pace has nothing to do with it, they can't die, meaning immortal.  nor does this address why they couldn't of gone down the tunnel

" Because Kojima didn't write iit that way. " SO? That doesn't stop it from making more sense. you can't dismiss plot holes because "the writer didn't write it that way, so there".   

I expose why mgs4 factually makes no sense, and your response is to try and nit pick any argument you can possibly form and ignore the issue at hand. 
    This is exactly why i am an (as you like to put it ) asshole to people like you.  as soon as it has been explained you put your fingers in your ears and shout "la le lu la lo" over and over again.
    MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By MethodMan008

Where did I call you an asshole? 

Dude, does Mass Effect 2 not make sense because all the reapers could get together and attack at once?  Does God of War not make sense because all the monster could gang up on Kratos at once instead of attacking him in small groups?  Does Batman Arkham Asylum not make sense because all the super criminals and thugs don't surround Batman and destory him? 

And, no, Vamp/Ms. Hunter are not immortal, Naomi killed Vamp herself.

mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By mxdirector

"  I pity you for being some asshole that clearly only gets enjoyment out of trolling internet forums.  I hope I make your days a little brighter by responding to you." 
     You edited it out, but it's saved in the pm that alerts you when one has replied to you. 

taking something to absurd extremes to try and disprove something. but by this point i am not surprised at all. Hell, i could roll out kojima at this point and he would explain that he was high, and you would still argue it all.  

small plot holes do not compare to large plot holes. again you are justifying nonsense, trying to convince your self it's great even though i#ve already proven its wrong. you're arguing the semantics over the term immortal, trying desperately to find some form of victory. fine they are not immortal, just capable of surviving the radiation tunnel.  You win by ignoring logic and common sense and focusing on the definition of a word (which by the way that same word is used to describe many beings who have died, but what ever) 

let's use an example. die hard is a movie about coincidence. a man in the wrong place at the wrong time. and the film is based around this small coincidence, and you can nit pick at that all you want. but to compare that to mgs4 would be like if alan rickman found willis, flew him in to the building, put him in the room, took his shoes and said "when we meet later pretend that you dont know who i am, and give me an empty gun". Which is a great comparison to mgs4 actually, as that basically happened, ocelot tricked solid snake in to every thing to do something which you have admitted that doesn't make sense to do. There's a major difference between subtle coincidence,  plot holes, and convenience  and major  coincidence,  plot holes, and convenience. but this is something you fail to understand . actually i know you understand it, you just refuse to accept it, because you think i'm a asshole and you're ego won't let you accept that i'm right. so go ahead and do your best at clutching at the few remaining straws, you won't convince me of anything, because right now you're struggling to convince yourself. 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By FlyingRat

I realize this is from months ago, but i want to ask, why did you feel the need to write all this? Just to give your opinion or what? It just seems to go into a fuckload of detail for just wanting to let people know you don't think the game's all that great...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#250  Edited By DeF
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:

Design

Press START to continue

If you consider that the player has to press START to clear the overwhelming majority of load screens, then Kojima Productions has very nearly gotten away with murder. At the end of the majority of the thirty-three second (on average) load screens, players are required to press the START button to proceed through and continue with the game. This quickly gets tiring. You’re forcing me to sit through a ridiculous amount of load screens; somehow you found the balls to make me press START too. And not even the X or Circle button either – no, it must be START. Thankfully the PlayStation button is very nearby the START button, so it doesn’t require too much extra energy to quit and find something else to play.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the usefulness of this "feature" since you spent a lot of time going on about the install and load times. Imagine how much WORSE it would be if the game didn't require you to press START once the load/install is finished. Say you went to the bathroom or made yourself something to eat or just got up and did anything without your controller in your hands because you're tired of staring at Snake smoking and the game immediately starts while you're off doing whatever. This, in turn, would force you to sit through EVERY loading/install screen because you would miss a cutscene (regardless of how bad you think they are - you will only know after having seen them) and/or find yourself dead upon your return.

I would suggest you delete this point from your list of shortcomings since it actually is just the opposite ( a bandage on the wound that is the load/install debacle - it's not a cure but it gets you through the pain)

General criticism:
    Please turn the "could of" in the part about the hair into a "could HAVE". (hit CTRL+F and type "could of" to find it ^^) Also, your "rant" could be taken a little more seriously if had avoided vulgar comparisons (texture looks like vomit) or used a slightly less enraged tone. It's very inconsistent how you try to make valid points and then close the argument with a bitter statement or insult.

Overall, however, I agree with the notion that most of the things you mentioned don't do the game any favors and working on them/changing them would have made MGS4 a better experience (while a few things like the hair, or example, are a bit nit picky and I never took notice of this being an issue). Still, I had a very good time playing the game two years ago and I definitely want to someday go through it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.