Will I like MGS4, even if I haven't played the previous games?

#1 Posted by Quadrifoglio (816 posts) -

Well, will I?

#2 Posted by Beaudman (66 posts) -

It's hard to say. A lot of people are saying they didn't  understand the story. I played 1, 2, and 3 before I even touched MGS4, and I understood and loved the story. The gameplay is still a ton of fun though.

#3 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Yes you will even if you don't understand it, because it's just fun

#4 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

It is definitely (character wise,especially later into the game) very closely linked to previous games, but I would think you would still enjoy gameplay at least.  But knowing the story would make it way more enjoyable, there are certain things in there just made for the fans that have been following it.

#5 Posted by wafflestomp (249 posts) -

I never played any of the previous ones, and I loved it. I bought the Essential MGS Collection after. It is a trip playing the first game now.

#6 Posted by Quadrifoglio (816 posts) -

Well, it looks like I might be buying MGS4 then.

#7 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Yes, I'm sure you will.  This was my first Metal Gear game and I loved it.  Just read a little background information about the series before you play so that you're up to speed.

#8 Edited by Meresin (147 posts) -

I'd never played any of the previous games, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the game, and the story. You might want to watch the Metal Gear Retrospectives that the guys at Gametrailers.com put together before you play MGS4, though. They sound like pure madness because the story is so convoluted, but a lot of the information contained in them will help you grasp what's going on.

The retrospectives can be found at the following location:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

Hope you enjoy the game. I was surprised by how much I did.

#9 Posted by Lemmywinks_360 (66 posts) -

You wont understand it but the gameplay is very good. My suggestion is to get the essential collection for the ps2. Play through all of them , and then play mgs4.

#10 Posted by EventHorizon1 (26 posts) -

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the first on the NES!  But I can't wait to play this game...I like the fact from what I'm hearing that you can play this game like Splinter Cell or go all out like Gears of War... Really excited to play this game....

#11 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

I personally didn't like the game, but I thought the story was presented really well.  I had not played 2 or 3, but I was still able to follow what went on.  Also, if it was really bothering you, you can check out the story of the earlier games here.

Most people like the game, my view of the game is definitely a minority opinion.  I think the odds are that you will like it and you don't need to have played earlier games.
#12 Posted by Timothy (54 posts) -

If you read up on the weird story a little bit before you play you probably will. I'm not completely caught up on the story and I'm loving this game. This game is really amazing, and is probably a game that every PS3 owner should have.

#13 Posted by Major (506 posts) -

I've played all the past games and I didn't care for the 4th. Not trying to start shit just saying it's not a guaranteed like-able game

#14 Posted by Sushbag (327 posts) -

You won't like it as much as Uncharted, I'll tell you that. Well, I can't guarantee anything mind you, but without detailed and intimate knowledge of the previous story you will be completely lost.

#15 Posted by EventHorizon1 (26 posts) -

I loved it and haven't played any of the previous games...

#16 Posted by Funglip (26 posts) -

MGS is the hardest game to imagine how it would be like playing it.  You just have to try it yourself and you'll either love it or hate it. 
Some cutscenes in the early acts are kinda long so be ready for it.

#17 Posted by PharoahCapcom (480 posts) -

Like it..Yes..Understand it..No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.