Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

You guys think this'll come off PS3 before MGSV?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd really, really like to play this game on my own, but it's the only one that's playable exclusively on PS3. Managed to get MGS1 on my Vita by borrowing someone's PS3 and transferring it over, and of course MGS2 and MGS3 (and even Peace Walker) are in the Collection, but MGS4 is only on PS3. I remember it being on Playstation Now once, but at some point it must've disappeared. Any chance we'll see this one before The Phantom Pain comes out?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

No. It's a very divisive game and a lot of the things it did were centered around the feature set of the PS3.

They should just release the two Liquid Ocelot boss fights for 5 bucks on PSN since those are the only worthwhile parts of the game.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

As a matter of fact, it already is. Sort of. If you opt in on the Playstation Now service, you can rent it on your PS4, assuming you have access to one of 'em fine machines. Likely going to be your only option as I doubt that we're going to see another proper release of the game.

@COREVI You, sir, are a monster. A soulless husk. I have no other explanation for how you can't find it in yourself to love the immaculate wonder that is MGS4.

EDIT: Scratch that entire message. Should have read OP more carefully.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really want to play this. I thought I heard at some point of a Metal Gear Solid collection coming to the pc, or maybe that was just wishful thinking turned rumor.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nick said:

I really want to play this. I thought I heard at some point of a Metal Gear Solid collection coming to the pc, or maybe that was just wishful thinking turned rumor.

Nope. People just got trolled by Kojima announcing a Metal Gear Collection that turned out to be a fashion line.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh ahahah, that sucks lol.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has very little chance of moving to other platforms ever.
    It was built exclusively for the PS3 with no eye for a PC release, PC was a much smaller market then than it is now.
    The game is also littered with Playstation fan service which would need to be removed or re-worked, and other product placement like iPod whose deal has probably expired.
    It was only 2 years ago i picked up a PS3 to finally play MGS4, it's probably the worst playing game in the series but as an MGS fan it's definately worth playing, the story is extremely important.

Most forums have large topics requesting the HD collection to come to PC, considering the recent work on those games it's more feasible, but i can't ever see 4 being remastered.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@corevi said:

No. It's a very divisive game

It's really not at all. Just has vocal haters. Even on Neogaf where if it's brought up you get all manner of people chiming into shit on it, it won GOTY the year it was released and even on a revote in 2012 it won AGAIN.

It's a very good game with a few glaring flaws. If you don't end your game well you're bound to get a lot of hate even if the rest was pretty damn great. I hated the ending but it was an awesome game.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just watch a Let's Play. It's basically a movie, anyway.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By sagesebas
    DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'd love it. It was the first one I ever played, so quite a bit went over my head.

The only PS3 centric parts I remember are the "disc swap" moment when Otacon goes on about the power of the Blu-Ray, and the Sixaxis moment. What else is there?

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a masterpiece IMO. Just buy a PS3.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

It's the only MGS game I've stopped playing partway through. The rest of the games were slow-paced so the cutscenes and codecs were fine, but the faster-paced shooter-ish gameplay of MGS4 made the cutscenes seem egregiously long.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

I can see in 10-15 years it getting a proper hd redux for other consoles, but I doubt it will ever get straight ported to a current platform. There's a decent amount of stuff that would have to be changed

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rented it while PSNow was in Beta. Not sure if they took it down recently.

But I agree, just watch a supercut on youtube.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Just want to clarify, Peace Walker isn't in the HD collection for the Vita. The only version of PW playable on the Vita is the PSP version, sold separately.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@corevi said:

They should just release the two Liquid Ocelot boss fights for 5 bucks on PSN since those are the only worthwhile parts of the game.

watch your fucking mouth when you talk about MGS4 near me

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bwheeeler: You'd think they wouldn't take it down, but post the games in the series to PS NOW. It seems like a great way to hype the release while making money.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@corevi said:

watch your fucking mouth when you talk about MGS4 near me

2nd best game in the series.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

MGS4 is demonstrably more interesting, more coherent, and more engaging than MGS2.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I look at 4 in the same way I look at Spore. A segmented, ambitious product that just doesn't work as well as it should. 4's a narrative book-end. I mean, the third chapter is "Tail a guy, turret sequence, boss fight. NEXT!" If the fiction wasn't there I'd have struggled to maintain interest.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is by far the worst game in the main series. Only slightly better than Peace Walker, which I HATE.

MGS3 is the best entry.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Corevi

@shindig: And the tailing is the worst thing because if you fail it doesn't just reset so you can learn his pattern, you have to follow a completely different guy with a completely different pattern. The turret section also sucks if you are going for no kills,same with the one in act 2. The Raven boss fight is pretty cool though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There's nothing fun about playing that game so you might as well just watch it on youtube.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I installed MGS4 the other day, and I now find it absolutely comical that back in the day people were screaming and making insane statements about the graphical quality of MGS4 in order to prop up the PS3 in their 'console war'.

Even though I bought a second hand copy of the MGS Legacy Collection, please give me an updated version of MGS4 for the PS4.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading that this game is so specifically built for the ps3 hardware that it's hard to port anywhere.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the longest time, when people asked me what was my favorite ending in a video game, I would answer MGS 4. That was before Red Dead so that throne is overthrown (zing!).

YOU FIGHT ON A GODDAMN SUBMARINE AS THE MUSIC PHASES THROUGH ALL THE PREVIOUS THEMES!!!

I recently played the opening area in MGS4 and was going back in remembering how awesome the game looked back in '07. Man that was a punch in the gut. :/

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This pretty much. I am assuming you don't own a PS3? So it is either do what Bones suggests or go buy a PS3 and a used copy of MGS4. While I wont rag on it as hard as others it a worse game than MGS 1/2/3 mostly due to bad pacing. Don't wait for a non PS3 version, it is either never going to happen or at the least not any time soon.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the chances are somewhere between Never and When Hell Freezes Over

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

And the tailing is the worst thing because if you fail it doesn't just reset so you can learn his pattern, you have to follow a completely different guy with a completely different pattern.

That sounds like a good thing.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so. I'm holding out hope that the Legacy Collection makes its way onto PS4 sometime this summer.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@corevi said:

MGS4 is demonstrably more interesting, more coherent, and more engaging than MGS2.

Wait what's interesting about it?

EDIT: Actually that just an asshole thing to ask, nevermind.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By huntad

It could be that they built the engine around the PS3's cell infrastructure and the time it would take to port it wouldn't be worth it, but that's just a guess. It could go to another platform in the future but who can say?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.