bog's Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Limited Edition) (PlayStation 3) review

• bog wrote this review on .
  • bog has written a total of 3 reviews. The last one was for Fable II

Thanks for (bringing back) the memories

I won't lie to you, I am a Metal Gear Solid fanboy. The original is my all-time favorite game, I could go on for months about how much I love everything about Snake Eater, and I still play Sons of Liberty to collect dog tags. I hold the series above any other video gaming saga to date.
       As Guns of the Patriots approached, I knew that I would need this game. I saved my pennies for a Playstation 3 and a copy of my game. Finally, the day came, and I went to pick up the final entry in the epic Metal Gear series, and boy, was I excited.
       First off, let me tell you what is good about the game, then I'll get to what makes the game worth only 4 stars. Gameplay, first and foremost, is as tight as any game has ever been. The Camera works wonderfully, the game controls well, and you have a great variety of options for tackling each situation. Once you figure things out, controlling Snake is a breeze. The game has the mark of a master, with a diversity of gameplay as well. You'll be fighting different enemies, sneaking through different areas, fighting creative bosses, and going through some excellent chase sequences. Metal Gear shines when it comes to gameplay and mechanics.
      You would be hard pressed to find a better looking game then Metal Gear Solid 4. When you boot the game up and are treated to Snakes face as the game installs, you'll be amazed by the in game graphics. Nothing is rendered here, though you wouldn't know it some of the time. Visually, the game is breath taking.
     Now, for my gripes. The thing that really, truly dissapoints me about MGS4 are the parts of it that are most memorable. At the end of the day, the game didn't create many new memories for me, it simply brought back old ones. It relies too much on past games to get it's "wow" factor.  Going to Shadow Moses wou'dn't have been as memorable if it wasn't in the first game. Piloting a giant robot is cool, but it wouldn't have been as exciting if I didn't know what I was piloting. Screaming Mantis, at the end of the day, was simply a fanservice. I have no problem with fanservice, but MGS4 over did it all for me. When I look at why I loved the past games, it is because each one had its own elements that made it memorable. Looking back, I can name so many things enhanced purely by nostalgia, but I feel that at the end of the day, things that bring back memories aren't as sweet as those memories themselves.
     Finally, the story went further into the drug-induced territory then MGS2. I'm more understanding of this, however, because explaining MGS2 isn't easy. I think that from now on, however, I would enjoy more coherent stories in video games.
    I enjoyed MGS$ thoroughly, and still do with the online portion of the game. However, it is not, and probably won't ever be my favorite game in the series.

Posted by chililili

...but it kicked ass!

Posted by WilliamRLBaker

I feel the same way but extend that to mgs 2 and 3 neither are fond in my memories like mgs 1 it just made it all worth while.

Posted by Joker

Nice to see an unbiased review from a Metal Gear Solid fanboy. I hate seeing Sony fanboys dishing out the 5's for games that are exclusive to their dear console, or Metal Gear Solid fanboys giving it a 5 because thats the only way they accept their Metal Gear Solid. Keep it up.

Posted by Johnny5

Ive only ever played the original...perhaps I should save up my pennies and buy the rest..

Posted by Leone

I would've totally talked to you about this on the IRC had I not been busy writing myself. You have some great points, and I agree entirely with your review. I suppose my time to lay a verdict is nigh though, so perhaps we'll be able to chat it up a bit then BoG.

Until then.

Other reviews for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Limited Edition) (PlayStation 3)

Cinamatic Perfection 0

Metal Gear Solid is one of those single player experiences that anyone who calls themselves a gamer would be crazy to miss. Hideo Kojima has ended the tale of Solid Snake with an experience that can not be called anything other than epic. Given the story can at times seem a bit over the top it is so well presented it and a few movement / control shortcomings can easily be forgiven. This is single player experience any fan of the series ( or anyone new abet some brushing up on MGS history would b...