Are Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 being uprezzed as well

#1 Posted by VictoryBlixt (117 posts) -

Does anyone know if they are going to be uprezzed to run in 720p too?

#2 Edited by SpaceRunaway (852 posts) -

Edit:  Sorry, right, the originals...I have no idea.

Edit Once Again: I would kind of think not, as I've heard Kojima doesn't really hold them in very high esteem, but I'm surprised the Subsistence bonuses are being included in the first place, so...I still have no idea. :<  It'd be great if they were though.

#3 Posted by VictoryBlixt (117 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway: Kojima has a low opinion of Metal Gear for the NES, and for Snake's Revenge. He personally developed Metal Gear and it's sequel Metal Gear 2 for the MSX2 and so imagine he has a favorable opinion of those games. A confusing issue to be sure

#4 Posted by SpaceRunaway (852 posts) -
@VictoryBlixt
I heard that it was his call on leaving the second disk of off the Metal Gear Solid collection for that reason (the last one, not the HD one).  It's complete hearsay on my part, but from what I've heard he really doesn't think those games hold up.
#5 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway: You have been horribly misinformed. The entire series pays homage and references back to the first two Metal Gear. They are integral parts of the story and are not brushed over like Devil May Cry 2 is in it's respective series.

#6 Posted by SpaceRunaway (852 posts) -

As I can't seem to find anything related to the reason for the removal of the second disc I'll just have to say that that's possible, but you might notice that for instance, the events of Peace Walker pretty much prevent the original games from happening in the way that they were presented.
I'm not making the argument that he dislikes the story (I mean, 4 probably ties back into the story points of the MSX games the strongest), but that the technical aspects of it no longer hold up and he'd rather people focus on his current work.

#7 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Its hard for me to tell. I've got the 360 version, and the 360 up/downscales everything to whatever resolution you set the system to. Really really wish the ps3 would do that for its games. My tv scaler isn't the greatest. I couldn't tell you if their native 720p, which is very possible they can be, but they look fine. Better than on the subsistence disc upscaled on a 20gig ps3, but not leaps and bounds like peace walker does.

I highly reccomend EVERYONE to play at least metal gear 2. Its been my favorite metal gear game since I played the rom back in 98'. Morse code? Hell yes. And...that rom ran the game natively at 1280x1024 on the monitor I had, looked great as well. I've beat metal gear solid 4 on extreme a few times now, and I still think the original two games can be pretty difficult at times. In a few ways, its a 2d overhead metroid a-like, since you're hunting for sooo many items.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.