Metal Gear Soild 3: Snake Eater is the best game on the PS2.

• 68 results
#1 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Looking back I would argue that MGS3 is the best game on the ps2.

#2 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

Well argued.

#3 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Well argued.

well if no one disagrees there is no need to argue.
#4 Posted by EuanDewar (4936 posts) -

Jehuty, in 1080

#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Nah. P4 and God Hand were better.

#6 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

Possibly my favorite game ever. The camera in Subsistence helped tremendously though.

#7 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@kingzetta: I could argue that mgs 2 was better if you want

#8 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@kashif1 said:

I'd like to hear that, because MGS3 has so much more content
#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I could make a pretty convincing arguement for bad boys: miami takedown.

#10 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

GTA3 GTA:vice city GTA: San Andreas, SOTC, FFX, KoH,

#11 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

San Andreas, MGS is a niche game.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11029 posts) -

You are completely wrong. MGS3: Snake Eater is not the best game, and I can prove it.

MGS3: Subsistence is way better. Camera control.

#13 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Subsistence was better and some dude posted that three minutes before I posted this.

#14 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

Disagree good sir! MGS3 is a fantastic game but God of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, and others would beg to differ.

#15 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

I mean...so many have so many opinions on what is the best ps2 game or what not. But, lets look at what techincally is. All 3 grand theft autos had so many bugs and glitches, many of the japanese imports that came over had a rushed feeling to them. I mean, the only other ps2 game I can think of that feels as complete as mgs3 or even 2- is god of war. Though, even the 2nd game didn't look great unless you entered the secret true 480p code. So many games have good qualities to them, but mgs3 just had it all. Some could argue the control scheme sucks, but so does resident evil 4s when you look at the basics.

As much as I loved san andreas *ESPECIALLY the amazing pc version*, it has a bit too many problems to be considered the best game.

#16 Posted by jewunit (1061 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

This.........is THE END.

#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4640 posts) -

Not even the best Metal Gear on the PS2.

#18 Posted by Master_Funk (733 posts) -

Sorry, its actually San Andreas

#19 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

agreed

#20 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@kashif1 said:

I'd like to hear that, because MGS3 has so much more content

Alright, first off about the content thing, have you seen the number of eater eggs in MGS2? Between the two large environments the amount of "content" evens out.

Anyway their are two major reasons I consider MGS 2 better, one of them is what it does with the idea of player control. The events of the game are a test by the patriots to see if they can control someones actions in an extreme situation such as the shadow Moses incident, in story the subject of the experiment is Raiden, out of story the test subject is the player. The game proves that yes a real person can be completely manipulated with just orders and nothing else. To put it in gamers terms it did bioshock before bioshock did. The game also proved that yes people will trust and follow the orders of a president that does this. No one understood this.

Number two is the artstyle, its just a lot cleaner than MGS3, hell MGS2 holds up better in HD because of it. MGS3 tried to do jungle, which it did well within the limitations of the ps2, MGS2 did an urban environment and did not have to attempt the complex plants and animals that mgs 3 did. This was less ambitious but turned out better.

#21 Edited by Nottle (1914 posts) -

@kashif1: I also believe that MGS2 is the better Metal Gear solid game, or at least my favorite, it's my favorite because how meta and insane it is. Raiden is actually not that bad of a character either. I don't understand why it didn't get cedit for the whole "players just do what they are told" thing like Bioshock did. It's not like MGS2 sold poorly.

That said, I could totally see how MGS3 is a better game, even though I like it a little less. It is a truer sequel to MGS1 in terms of what people like about MGS. It has a pretty cool enviroment, neat characters, Snake, good easier to understand cinematics, and bossfights. (Ever notice that MGS2 was a copy of MGS1, and MGS3 is a copy of MGS3 in terms of story)

Also other games that I'd say are pretty damn good on the PS2 are SoTC, KH2, God Hand, and Persona 3 and 4.

#22 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

Yes.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne probably

that or Digital Devil Saga 2

#24 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I never cared for MGS3 much. It let me down in a lot of ways. I was never even able to finish it. It had some great ideas, but ultimately I found myself disinterested in how the gameplay worked out. The camoflauge was a cool idea, but it was a chore, and hindered by load times. Not switching to a true third person camera also made the game feel dated, and dude, there were problems with the controls, too. Some things required far too many buttons to be considered reasonable. Snake Eater probably wouldn't even crack my top 10 picks for best PS2 game. My top 3 would probably be Vice City, San Andreas, and God of War. MGS2 would probably rank pretty high up, though.

#25 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Bully was the last game I played on my PS2 before I traded it in. I pick that one, it was a great game.

#26 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I'd say MGS3 is right up there with GTA:VC, in my book. The two together are must owns from the ps2 library, in my opinion.

#27 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

I'll accept this answer, an alternative would be MGS2.

#28 Posted by BasketSnake (1208 posts) -

mgs3 is my second favourite game after ff7. Always wanted to play it in HD.

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'm a big MGS fan and I like 2 better even though 3 is pretty damn good too.....but the original is still my favorite, I've beaten the original MGS more times than any other video game

#30 Posted by Baillie (4174 posts) -

Yes, MGS3 is the best.

#31 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Can I say a lot of things were better than MGS3 to me? I played maybe 3 hours of it and hated it, but that is my usual consensus for Metal Gear games.

#32 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

MGS2, MGS3, and FFX are my favorite PS2 games. 
I'm not going to bother ranking them, since they're so different.

#33 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

Wait, people think San Andreas was the best thing the PS2 had to offer?

What

#34 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus

Zone of the Enders 2

Final Fantasy X

Dragon Quest 8

All better along with many more.

#35 Posted by big_jon (5730 posts) -

No, Halo 2 is.

#36 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

It's definitely one of my favorite games.

#37 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

You are completely wrong. MGS3: Snake Eater is not the best game, and I can prove it.

MGS3: Subsistence is way better. Camera control.

Now that may be the best argument against Snake Eater I have ever heard

#38 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

What about GTA Vice City?

#39 Edited by overjoyedpants (75 posts) -

guys, what about madden. i mean, it had like 5 or six games all more amazing than the last. oh and then there's nba live, how could everyone be so wrong.

on a more serious note, mgs2 and vice city were my two favorites. oh and twisted metal black. (ive never played the team ico games)

#40 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

San andreas, P3, P4, shadow of the collosus. Not going to rank them because i love them all equally. MGS was an ok game for each one that came out but i could care less about them.

#41 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Nottle: MGS1-3 arguably all had the same story as Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. I'm pretty sure that's precisely the point Kojima was trying to make about the nature of war and the ways that governments abuse soldiers.

#42 Posted by NTM (7381 posts) -

Just wondering, is MGS3 your first, or second MGS game you've ever played? Then I could see why you'd think that. I think it's superb, but it's not the best PS2 game, nor is it the best MGS game.

#43 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

With so many excellent games on the PS2, I don't know what my pick is - I think I liked the story of MGS2 a lot more than I did 3 (which was also good) - the whole mind-bendy "setting up another Shadow Moses through manipulation" was really awesome.

That said, MGS3 had a very good soundtrack.

Then again, Zone of hte Enders( 2: Anubis, I guess), had extremely good gameplay, as well as a great soundtrack. And Shadow of the Colossus, and the Final Fantasies... and... so many others to pick from.

#44 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

You have a good point.

#45 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

MGS2 is one of my favourite games, for all the meta/mindfuck stuff,

but MGS3 is a better game, in terms of story/storytelling/environments/gameplay/ characters etc

It's probably the best game on PS2, but you have to also consider resident evil 4, san andreas, god of war 2, shadow of the colossus and others

if anything it goes to show how great the PS2 was as a platform

#46 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@NTM: I played them all in sequence before MGS4 came out and I thought that MGS2 had the best story, but MGS3 has the better game mechanic/story integration.

I fall on the side that MGS 3 has the better characters. It's my favorite MGS game, but I think MGS 2 is the best/most fully realized Kojima vision of the series.

#47 Posted by mpgeist (608 posts) -

Not sure I agree but it's certainly the best MGS.

#48 Edited by lord_canti (1512 posts) -

i would say no, i dont even think its the best metal gear game. i call metal gear solid 2 my favorite game but 3 i felt it was lacking some what. i hated using camo, needing to eat was a pain in the ass. on top of that i felt the story wasn't too grate it ended really strong but i didnt like the build up.

#49 Posted by JDW519 (148 posts) -

At the least it's my favorite of the 'Metal Gear' games

#50 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@kingzetta: I say it's SotC. Follow-ups: SH2, MGS3, DMC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.