Oh man, so stoked!

#1 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

HD collection containing MGS2, MGS3, and MGS: Peace Walker coming this November.
 
When I read it was coming for the 360 as well, I was like "WHAT?!" in excitement since the only current gen system I own is a 360.
 
So excited, mostly for MGS2. The music, atmosphere, and the story is so good. MGS3 is awesome too. Oh and it's quite strange but awesome that Peace Walker, a PSP exclusive, is now coming in an HD collection appearing on both the PS3 and 360.
 
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1172179p1.html

#2 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I just punched a wall due to an overflowing amount of happiness and excitement.  

#3 Posted by Finstern (643 posts) -

This is awesome news indeed. 
 
But.... 
 
ZONE OF THE ENDERS 
 
zomfg

#4 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

Konami just won E3. And it hasn't even started yet.
 
Like a boss.
 
Dude, I CANNOT WAIT to Platinum MGS2/3 and Peace Walker. Like, OMFG I'M SO HYPED RIGHT NOW. And this'll be the perfect chance to play Zone Of The Enders! OMG YEAAAAAH!

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Why not MGS1?

#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Dany said:
Why not MGS1?
Sony still owns the rights to it, me thinks.  
#7 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Dany said:
Why not MGS1?
I'm wondering this too. Doesn't that seem like the game in MOST need of an HD Remake?
 
Either way, I am goddamn stoked since I've never been able to play these before.
#8 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -
MGS3 is miles better than MGS2 in my opinion. In fact nostalgia  aside I like it a little more than the first game. I think not including the first game is bit shit but there is probably all sorts of technical reasons for that plus I would imagine that requires more work than they want.
#9 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@N7 said:
Konami just won E3. And it hasn't even started yet.  Like a boss.  Dude, I CANNOT WAIT to Platinum MGS2/3 and Peace Walker. Like, OMFG I'M SO HYPED RIGHT NOW. And this'll be the perfect chance to play Zone Of The Enders! OMG YEAAAAAH!
No I doubt that they will each have their own trophies, it's just a hunch though.
#10 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -

GRRRRRRRRR FUCK YEAH. I'M SO HYPED RIGHT NOW!! FEEL THE MADNESS!!
 
  

#11 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -
Wow I didn't know about this until I read this thread. This is awesome I can't wait to go through snake eater again. Did they give a release date?
#12 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

cuz they will be HDing the original MGS1 without the shooting in first person view. I dont think they want to scare people off with that lol 
but the thoughts of all that MGS and then ZoE in glorious HD...dreams shall be wet

#13 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Sucks that MGS1 is not in it. Considering that's like the best MGS game. If not, then 4 is, which is also absent.

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

For some reason I can't edit my post but yeah just read November. Can't wait.

#15 Edited by Finstern (643 posts) -
@KaosAngel: MGS1 was remade in "hd" for the gamecube, using the mgs2 engine... so shouldnt be a problem.
#16 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Finstern said:
@KaosAngel: MGS1 was remade in "hd" for the gamecube, using the mgs2 engine... so shouldnt be a problem.
If that was the case why wasn't MGS released for XBLA when all the other Konami PSone games came out too?
#17 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

FUCK YES

#18 Posted by Finstern (643 posts) -
@KaosAngel: No idea, but if it is Sony who hold the rights I cant see them letting Nintendo have the game
#19 Posted by luchadeer797 (294 posts) -

pretty pumped to finally play an mgs game, espically now since they're updated.

#20 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

Granted, it's still early, but I don't really get the level of excitement surrounding fucking ports. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to re-releases; I rather like having one disc with HD versions of trilogies. But why is it a big deal? I just can't understand the extremity.
 
I could see if such revamps were done with games that are hard to find, but Metal Gear? Those games are dirt cheap and far from hard to find. As for those wanting an HD version of the first game, it would be pointless. PS1 graphics were are too shitty to benefit; hell, a lot of the PS2 library would still actually look worse in HD. I believe the game's already on PSN anyway. 
 
That said, I might be interested in the package when it drops below $20; hopefully, the ridiculous adoration of the franchise doesn't keep the price inflated. I didn't play much of MGS2, but I found 3 tolerable. It was still incredibly far up its own ass with Kohima's onanism, but it was fun when the game shut the fuck up and let you play. I was disappointed when I first played it, as it isn't a very good stealth game, but my expectations were perhaps too specific and high. As a fun little time-sink, I think I could get back into it.

#21 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

 MGS2 and MGS3 BETTER BE THE FUCKING SUB VERSIONS 
 
EDIT:  That's a legit rant, I'm not playing the original versions when the Sub versions are out there and MUCH better.

#22 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

I am going to buy this on both systems. I NEED METAL GEAR SOLID 2/3 ACHIEVEMENTS

#23 Posted by N7 (3666 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
I am going to buy this on both systems. I NEED METAL GEAR SOLID 2/3 ACHIEVEMENTS
I'm going to buy a 360 just to buy it for both systems!!
#24 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -
@Dany said:
Why not MGS1?
Yeah I really would love to play an HD MGS1.
#25 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -
@Rebirth1337 said:
@Dany said:
Why not MGS1?
Yeah I really would love to play an HD MGS1.
I don't, unless it's the Twin Snakes version. I didn't finish MGS1, but I LOVE Twin Snakes. I hope they are working something out to get that version re-released.
Online
#26 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

I'll play old MGS' for achievements... and nostalgia's sake.

#27 Edited by Marz (5671 posts) -

i actually might buy the collection even though i got all the games.    I wouldn't mind playing peacewalker again on my couch.    Plus it could really use online support of an xbox live for co-op in that game.    (don't tell me to download ad-hoc party for the psp version, i tried it)

#28 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

I love the music in MGS2. 
 
YO REMEMBER THE SNEAKING MUSIC ON THE TANKER? BAM
 
WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU WERE ON CAUTION? WAZOO
 
Alright I'll stop now. I'm so psyched for the collection. I really wonder how they're "rebuilding" the games, though. And yeah, I wouldn't mind if MGS1 just came with it in any form, really; other than Twin Snakes. Anything but. I constantly debate myself whether I prefer MGS1 or MGS2. I probably shouldn't because they're both excellent with their music, dialogue, story... one of my favorite things MGS1 did though was the debriefings. Near 30 minutes of dialogue that kept me interested from start to finish. MGS1 also has the best ambient noises to it. To be having a conversation on the codec and hearing background noises MGS1 has really sets a mood no other MGS captured. 
 
I do find it strange how Snake's voice changes from 1 to 2. I prefer his voice in 1, doesn't sound as forced. With MGS2's Snake voice being incorporated with Twin Snakes, it just wasn't the same. That's the least of Twin Snake's issues, though.
 
So yeah, my Giantbomb handle is RoyCampbell and I babble about Metal Gear Solid. Go figure!

#29 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

Really wish it was MGS1 in there, just to have a complete collection at least. I do still have my MGS1 discs if I really need to play it.

#30 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -
@RoyCampbell said:
I love the music in MGS2. 
 
YO REMEMBER THE SNEAKING MUSIC ON THE TANKER? BAM
 
WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU WERE ON CAUTION? WAZOO  Alright I'll stop now. I'm so psyched for the collection. I really wonder how they're "rebuilding" the games, though. And yeah, I wouldn't mind if MGS1 just came with it in any form, really; other than Twin Snakes. Anything but. I constantly debate myself whether I prefer MGS1 or MGS2. I probably shouldn't because they're both excellent with their music, dialogue, story... one of my favorite things MGS1 did though was the debriefings. Near 30 minutes of dialogue that kept me interested from start to finish. MGS1 also has the best ambient noises to it. To be having a conversation on the codec and hearing background noises MGS1 has really sets a mood no other MGS captured.  So yeah, my Giantbomb handle is RoyCampbell and I babble about Metal Gear Solid. Go figure!
Dam that sneak music gave me chills, I must of spent 200 hours playing MGS2 over and over and over, and I will do it AGAIN!
#31 Posted by Darksaw (315 posts) -

I'm very happy this is happening. I was just recently considering playing through Snake Eater again.

#32 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

#33 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -

I'm happy as long as the games are in hi-def and fill up my widescreen tv nicely.

Online
#34 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

It's no fun playing last gen games (in this case, a PS2) on an HD television with no alternative, even with PS2 component "HD" cables. And with this collection, assuming it's going to be $60, you're getting 3 remastered games for the price of 1. And considering how I love Metal Gear Solid and love these games, I don't see why people shouldn't get excited as we all seem to be.
#35 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -
@RoyCampbell said:
@MiniPato said:

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

It's no fun playing last gen games (in this case, a PS2) on an HD television with no alternative, even with PS2 component "HD" cables. And with this collection, assuming it's going to be $60, you're getting 3 remastered games for the price of 1. And considering how I love Metal Gear Solid and love these games, I don't see why people shouldn't get excited as we all seem to be.
I don't have a keen eye. I can't tell the difference between up-res graphics and the original, so it makes very little difference to me. Peace Walker is probably the only game in that collection that can conjure up any emotion out of me since it's coming from the PSP and I assume with an overhaul in controls.
#36 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I dont get it, they announced like...now new games. Just shit ive already played. So lame.

#37 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:
I dont get it, they announced like...now new games. Just shit ive already played. So lame.
Yeah, another reason I can't get excited for this. I've played MGS3 maybe 10 times and MGS3 subsistence 7 times. Pretty much the same with MGS2 and MGS2 substance. I've had my fill of those games.
#38 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

@RoyCampbell said:

@MiniPato said:

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

It's no fun playing last gen games (in this case, a PS2) on an HD television with no alternative, even with PS2 component "HD" cables. And with this collection, assuming it's going to be $60, you're getting 3 remastered games for the price of 1. And considering how I love Metal Gear Solid and love these games, I don't see why people shouldn't get excited as we all seem to be.
I don't have a keen eye. I can't tell the difference between up-res graphics and the original, so it makes very little difference to me. Peace Walker is probably the only game in that collection that can conjure up any emotion out of me since it's coming from the PSP and I assume with an overhaul in controls.
I don't need a keen eye to notice that I'm seeing jaggy, muddied shit on my television screen because of a console released in 2000 not properly compatible with an HD television.
 
From Giantbomb's entry for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, it totes HD resolutions, trophies/achievements, improved audio, and being "rebuilt". There might even be more improvements we're not even aware of since this was announced today! So yeah, I guess it's mainly for people who love MGS who wanted HD versions with remastering done on everything, or for people that never got into them and this is the perfect chance to do so.
 
I came down to that conclusion because I am a genius of the obvious.
#39 Edited by bushpusherr (847 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

@drbendo said: 

 I could see if such revamps were done with games that are hard to find, but Metal Gear? Those games are dirt cheap and far from hard to find. As for those wanting an HD version of the first game, it would be pointless. PS1 graphics were are too shitty to benefit; hell, a lot of the PS2 library would still actually look worse in HD. I believe the game's already on PSN anyway.   

 
Konami stated that each game in the package would include full HD upgrades including new art, textures, and sound.  Sounds like more than just a simple resolution upgrade.  Given that it will all be new assets, that's what makes not having MGS1 such a bummer.  Peace Walker being in there, though, is fucking awesome because I was not about to buy a PSP to play it.
#40 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -
@bushpusherr said:
@MiniPato said:

I don't get why people get excited for collections unless they don't have the game. Unless they are remaking these games with current gen graphics, I am not interested.

@drbendo said: 

 I could see if such revamps were done with games that are hard to find, but Metal Gear? Those games are dirt cheap and far from hard to find. As for those wanting an HD version of the first game, it would be pointless. PS1 graphics were are too shitty to benefit; hell, a lot of the PS2 library would still actually look worse in HD. I believe the game's already on PSN anyway.   

 
Konami stated that each game in the package would include full HD upgrades including new art, textures, and sound.  Sounds like more than just a simple resolution upgrade.  Given that it will all be new assets, that's what makes not having MGS1 such a bummer.  Peace Walker being in there, though, is fucking awesome because I was not about to buy a PSP to play it.
New controls and achievements/trophies, too.
#41 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

same here, i miss mgs2 and 3... such great f-in games  

#42 Posted by AuthenticM (3803 posts) -
Fucking A!! I am so glad this is happening. Silent Hill, Zone of the Enders (which I have never played, and now intend to), and Metal Gear Fucking Solid. In HD. Sold.
 
@Finstern: I think Kojima wants to forget Twin Snakes. Me too.
Online
#43 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

Wish it could come out a little sooner than November though.

#44 Posted by BasketSnake (1287 posts) -

Peace Walker alone is worth full price and it'll be fun to read comments when people realize what they've been missing out on. I totally understand people not wanting to play it on PSP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.