Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

So... how was/is it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

Hopefully the choices above are varied and you don't think some could be the same. I didn't have to make the poll, but I did anyways. Alright, so I love Metal Gear Solid; I haven't played this though unfortunately from the lack of money and the amount of games that have been out and games that are coming out. I just wanted to know how every person that had played it, thought of it.

Although there are new titles coming out, and Metal Gear Solid isn't a new thing by now, I'd still consider this one of those things I'd like to get above others first. I really want to know what you thought about Peace Walker for those that had waited until this version, and not for the PSP, although those that have played it on PSP can chive in. I never chose to play it since I don't like the PSP controls. While the PSP controls are doable, I just dislike them to the extent it turns me off.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sub_o

The MGS HD Collection is one of the good deals out there, 3 games for $40.

MGS PeaceWalker, although has less polygon count, is actually very fun, and once considered as MGS 5. The ability to play co-op, the rpg-ish element of it, and the lesser cut-scenes, made PeaceWalker a fun game.

Snake Eater, in my opinion, still has the best stories among the MGS games. The game is now mostly in 60 FPS, so it's quite a smooth gameplay.

MGS 2 is the weakest link here for me, but it's still a fun game.

The main issue is that the controls for MGS 2 and MGS 3 are not updated, so it feels weird to wrestle 3 - 4 buttons just to aim and shoot.

Ao2Nitecrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ao2Nitecrawler

It is insane !

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StrikeALight

Not played PW yet, but the MGS2 & MGS3 HD updates are bloody fantastic.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By mscupcakes

Peace Walker works incredibly well on consoles and really benefits from a proper online co-op experience and the new control scheme.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Having only played MGS1 before picking this up, I must say I was quite impressed with this package of games. The controls were a little funky to get used to, but other than that, it was awesome.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

Its really good. Knocked out MGS 2 and 3 both for the first time in like a week in the HD Collection, but I've yet to finish MGS: PW. PW is a lot of fun, but I just don't fell too compelled by it. I'll finish it eventually, but I don't think that'll be anytime soon.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By sickVisionz

MGS4 was the first MGS game I played and I loved it. I jumped into this collection and started with MGS2 to make my way through it.

MGS2... this game is unplayable for me. The controls and camera are god awful. I got about 2 hours deep and then quit.

MGS3... the controls in this one are more in line with things that got worked out and perfected back in the N64 days so it's playable. I got about 10 hours deep but I haven't felt compelled to dive back into it yet. I enjoyed what I did play of it though.

MGSPW... I haven't played this one yet.

I voted for the meh option.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By VoshiNova

This particular HD collection made me realize how inappropriate these HD collections are for me.

That being said, I found every last droplet of MGS awesome-ness in this bundle absolutely fantastic!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

If your a fan of the series I say this is a must buy, Peace Walker works great with the extra analogue stick.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

It's a lot of game for the money. I really liked Peace Walker, both in this collection and on the PSP. It's different, for sure, but I enjoyed it immensely. It's like Pokemon meets MGS.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones

It was my first time playing any of those mgs games and I had a ton of fun with em.  They look great (peace walker looks meh though) and still play pretty good, I had some trouble with mgs2 and not having right stick and camera control.  Overall, it was awesome

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By laserbolts

Just finished playing it and I really enjoyed it. Excpet for Peace Walker. I just couldn't get into it at all.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

@sickVisionz said:

MGS4 was the first MGS game I played and I loved it. I jumped into this collection and started with MGS2 to make my way through it.

MGS2... this game is unplayable for me. The controls and camera are god awful. I got about 2 hours deep and then quit.

MGS3... the controls in this one are more in line with things that got worked out and perfected back in the N64 days so it's playable. I got about 10 hours deep but I haven't felt compelled to dive back into it yet. I enjoyed what I did play of it though.

MGSPW... I haven't played this one yet.

I voted for the meh option.

Yeah, but would you agree that this is probably the reason you should have played them either when they had come out, or at least before four? I think it may have made those games a better experience.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sickVisionz

@NTM: I still wouldn't have liked two any more than I did. It just would have been a game with game breakingly bad controls and camera, like when I played RE1 when it first came out. If I played MGS2 before 4 that would have been really bad because I would never try the series again and I'd miss out on 4. My experience with RE1 made me avoid the series in its entirety until a friend told me that RE5 was nothing like the old ones and convinced me to at least rent it.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sayishere

Best thing i bought all year tbh. This thing is so worth the money. Im playing through it again, just beat MGS2. The game is still beautiful, which is quite suprising. About to start MG3 (arguably the best game on disc) cant fucking wait

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By dichemstys

Sooo good. Peace Walker looked great too.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FLStyle

I noticed a few weird moments where current Kojima Productions staff have re-recorded some lines over the original voice actors, other than that they're the same games as before which I have no problem with.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This HD collection helped remind me how much of a disappointment MGS4 was. How can you make a masterpiece like MGS3 Subsistence and then go on to make something as tragically designed as MGS4? :(

But yeah, fantastic collection and a great bargain.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

I thought it was brilliantly done. Loved playing through 2 and 3 again; not a fan of peace walker though.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese

Playing through2 again made it my favorite in the series.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dropabombonit

MGS3 mad the collection worth it alone, looks amazing. Close to a modern game. MGS2 is still fantastic and MGS: PW is still worth playing but I found the short missions and graphic novel cutsences suited the PSP but felt out of place on PS3

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nights

Being a pretty big MGS fan (one of my favorite video game series of all time), I was extremely excited to play Peace Walker on the 360. A lot of people were saying it's their favorite MGS. I have a PSP, but I haven't dusted it off in years. Then I realized it's rated T for teen. Really? No blood, can't snap necks or slit throats, can't crawl, can't smoke, can't drag bodies (alive or dead), can't wall shimmy. You can shoot people in the face, but heaven forbid you break someone's neck or smoke a cigar! No knife? This is a sequel to Snake Eater, is it not? I was reading Kojima wanted Peace Walker to be rated E for everyone? Right, because children want to sit through cut-scenes and have the mental capacity to dissect your convoluted stories. They'll certainly understand your anti-war sentiment! Oh well, still curious to play it, but my excitement has certainly diminished.

Did these omissions irk anyone else or does the game handle fine that way it is? I realize with the Fulton Extraction System (chute out!) dragging bodies becomes a bit redundant.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By musubi

I dunno I couldn't get into it. The MGS games are among my favorites but I just dont think they have aged well or at the very least I just can't deal with how they control anymore especially MGS2

TwelveFootFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwelveFootFour

LoL. IT SUCKED! 0%

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jasonefmonk

Just finished MGS2, the first Metal Gear Solid game I played. I liked it quite a bit more than my first time through, the controls are challenging but rewarding. That soap opera between Jack and Rose is pretty hokey haha. Tons of VR training and other things.

Don't forget that you get Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake within the MGS3 part of the game. I already love MGS3 so I'm sure the updated controls and resolution will be great. Haven't played Peace Walker yet but i'm interested. Although the "T" rating issues that @HumanoidTyphoon listed are concerning.

I'd highly recommend fans of the stealth genre, and MGS4 is only $15 or so and an incredible game.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Morrow

Hmmmm, this poll encourages me to try it...

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By obcdexter

Loved it. Platinumed both Snake Eater and Peace Walker (my "secret" favorite of the series, I guess.) Had tons of fun playing the Extra Ops online. They did such a great job porting these games to HD. Get it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

I got it yesterday, I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.