Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

Thoughts on the Vita version?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ervonymous

How's it been treating you?

I spent some time running around the tanker in MGS2 and it's Metal Gear alright, now with framerate fluctuations and terrible back-touch controls. No, it's not that bad, but noticeable regardless. Super smooth in corridors with nothing going on, slows down outside in the storm and hitches in weird spots, like when aiming down the room with the television and drink cabinet. I checked out MGS3 very briefly and didn't notice any problems with the framerate, just that it was lower overall, which might have also been preferable for 2.

Hasn't really affected gameplay, but the back-touching sure has. In order to tiptoe while aiming down the sights you have to do and hold a multi-touch gesture where you drag two fingers in the opposite directions while holding down R and Square and keep your thumb on the analog stick to actually aim. Leaning to either side is almost as big of a hassle, but you only need one finger on the back touchpad. Two mechanics I won't use anymore, way too unreliable.

I'm not sure if it'll be a problem, but I find it odd that you can't equip or unequip your current weapon or item while your back is against a wall. You can peek around corners with the touchscreen - why would you want to do that - but you can't tap the item icons.

Disregard all that, I think it plays well and looks great on the Vita screen. I was sceptical about aiming with the fiddly analog sticks but it's been a cinch.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't really get why you'd buy the Vita version unless you had no access to the 360 and PS3 version. I mean it's not like Metal Gear is exactly suited for pick up and play with it's 40 minute long cut scenes.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ervonymous

@LiquidPrince: True, it's more of a novelty for me personally. It's been six years since I last played either and seeing MGS2 run @60fps on a handheld made me stop and think for a moment.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow I couldn't even understand your description of that touch gesture, let alone be able to do it in a high-stress situation.

But yeah it's been mentioned above me that those games are paced pretty inconveniently for a portable game, other than Peace Walker, obviously.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@MikkaQ:

it might be just me,but i love the idea of a portable metal gear game. it's brilliant. and you can just hit the sleep button or somthing if you need to do somthing.no biggie.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

IGN liked it, they gave it a 9. But I agree there is no reason to get this if you have a PS3/360, the console version has an extra game and plays and looks better.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By phantomzxro

it cool but i don't think its full price worthy considering peace walker is cut from that version of the game, but i do like that your save transfer over from your vita to ps3 and you can keep playing if i recall. I hear the controls take a bit of getting use to but is not game breaking or anything. So i say it could be worth it if you can get it for the cheap, because the game save transfer is pretty cool.

I also heard the trophies are the same but separate so if you have both versions that trophies cost for double. Even nicer all the trophies you unlock for one game unlocks with the other too so you don't have to play it twice. So for all you trophy hunters its a nice pair to have.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killacam

the reliance on touch screens has all but killed my interest in vita.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Hizang: i own both and i am absolutly in love with the idea of playing this on the go. it works perfect!

DaveD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaveD

Planning on picking it up myself. Lacking Peace Walker kinda sucks, but it sounds like it's pretty good-looking on the Vita. There's not really anything about the actual gameplay part of MGS that makes it unsuited for portables. Just hit the sleep button (or skip, even) if you gotta go do something else during a cutscene.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Man. You've gone and made me want to replay this series now.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@CrossTheAtlantic: ive beat both of them when i got the hd collection on 360 last year and now im replaying again. it sounds stupid,but it feels like playing them for the first time!

if i had one gripe and it is a minor one, the controls could use some work. it's nothing that breaks the game but the rear touchpad is a tad sensitive and not being able to use the d-pad sucks.but again.those are MINOR issues. i know it's only a port and i know ive played these games countless times before but playing this has me incredibly excited to see what else the vita has in store later on. this right here proves to me that console quality games can be done on handheld and it's fucking brillant!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

@LiquidPrince: So you're saying when I finally get around to MGS3, I should buy the 360/PS3 version, and not the 3DS version? (Just kidding, obviously I should play the 360 version, though I do wish I could get more use out of this 3DS I bought...)

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mpgeist

This reminds me that I still need to pick up the collection on PS3.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@TooWalrus:

i cant speak fully about snake eater on the 3ds,as i havnt played it extensively, but for all intents and purposes, the vita collection is better. not only do you get a better version of MGS3, but you get MGS2 as well and all for the same price as the 3ds snake eater.

the only reason i would recommend the 3ds version of MGS3 is if your a collector (like me) or if you dont have a vita and you desperatly need a portable version of snake eater.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@LiquidPrince: thats not the case at all. ive been playing it on my vita for the last few hours while also helping my girl setup minecraft on her laptop. when ever she hollers,i just hit the sleep button and when i come back, i hit it again and boom,right where i left off.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

@TooWalrus said:

@LiquidPrince: So you're saying when I finally get around to MGS3, I should buy the 360/PS3 version, and not the 3DS version? (Just kidding, obviously I should play the 360 version, though I do wish I could get more use out of this 3DS I bought...)

Yeah... The 3DS is just playing my DS games at the moment. However I already own 5 Vita games, so that's saying something.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @ervonymous said:
    In order to tiptoe while aiming down the sights you have to do and hold a multi-touch gesture where you drag two fingers in the opposite directions while holding down R and Square and keep your thumb on the analog stick to actually aim.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@OllyOxenFree: lol yeah,ive re read that several times and i still dont know what hes talking about. i honestly cant tell if he's trying to explain the controls of if he is being sarcastic.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy
    DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Redbullet685: cant vouch for that as i dont have a ps3. ive heard it works fine.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Phatmac

lol vita lol.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ervonymous

@DoctorDanger99 said:

lol yeah,ive re read that several times and i still dont know what hes talking about. i honestly cant tell if he's trying to explain the controls of if he is being sarcastic.

• Step Sideways

Drag the left/ride side of the rear touch pad during First Person View to step sideways. Touch the center with two fingers and pinch outward to stretch up. Effective while hiding behind objects during gun fights.

Sounds simple, but it's more frustrating in practice than trying to make sense of my description.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By GoofyGoober

Poor Vita, just can't win.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Phatmac: keep on laughing chucklehead. the vita is a amazing handheld and it has endless potential. im psyched for the future.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goldanas

I haven't had too much trouble with the touch controls. I did 300 pull-ups in the tanker and it felt great using my fingers to "pull up" on the rear touch pad. I did screw it up a few times, which would never happen using buttons, but I attribute that to me screwing up the touch. If you pay attention to your relative placement, you get it every time.

I like the rear touch pad when it's used for features that aren't too demanding, but still offer an intelligent alternative to using buttons. Pull-ups aren't a major gameplay action, just an extra that is performed by an extra control set. That's how developers should utilize touch on a device with a full suite of sticks and buttons.

Also the item switching on the touch screen is wonderfully redone.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ervonymous

@Goldanas: Yup, I just finished MGS2. After the initial hump I found it to be a competent version of the game, now to indulge myself in some snake eating.

TwelveFootFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwelveFootFour

I love it! it's my favorite version of the game. I can take it with me wherever, and I'm getting my trophies up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.