Thoughts on the Vita version?

#1 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

How's it been treating you?

I spent some time running around the tanker in MGS2 and it's Metal Gear alright, now with framerate fluctuations and terrible back-touch controls. No, it's not that bad, but noticeable regardless. Super smooth in corridors with nothing going on, slows down outside in the storm and hitches in weird spots, like when aiming down the room with the television and drink cabinet. I checked out MGS3 very briefly and didn't notice any problems with the framerate, just that it was lower overall, which might have also been preferable for 2.

Hasn't really affected gameplay, but the back-touching sure has. In order to tiptoe while aiming down the sights you have to do and hold a multi-touch gesture where you drag two fingers in the opposite directions while holding down R and Square and keep your thumb on the analog stick to actually aim. Leaning to either side is almost as big of a hassle, but you only need one finger on the back touchpad. Two mechanics I won't use anymore, way too unreliable.

I'm not sure if it'll be a problem, but I find it odd that you can't equip or unequip your current weapon or item while your back is against a wall. You can peek around corners with the touchscreen - why would you want to do that - but you can't tap the item icons.

Disregard all that, I think it plays well and looks great on the Vita screen. I was sceptical about aiming with the fiddly analog sticks but it's been a cinch.

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

I don't really get why you'd buy the Vita version unless you had no access to the 360 and PS3 version. I mean it's not like Metal Gear is exactly suited for pick up and play with it's 40 minute long cut scenes.

#3 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: True, it's more of a novelty for me personally. It's been six years since I last played either and seeing MGS2 run @60fps on a handheld made me stop and think for a moment.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Wow I couldn't even understand your description of that touch gesture, let alone be able to do it in a high-stress situation.

But yeah it's been mentioned above me that those games are paced pretty inconveniently for a portable game, other than Peace Walker, obviously.

#5 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@MikkaQ:

it might be just me,but i love the idea of a portable metal gear game. it's brilliant. and you can just hit the sleep button or somthing if you need to do somthing.no biggie.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

IGN liked it, they gave it a 9. But I agree there is no reason to get this if you have a PS3/360, the console version has an extra game and plays and looks better.

#7 Edited by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

it cool but i don't think its full price worthy considering peace walker is cut from that version of the game, but i do like that your save transfer over from your vita to ps3 and you can keep playing if i recall. I hear the controls take a bit of getting use to but is not game breaking or anything. So i say it could be worth it if you can get it for the cheap, because the game save transfer is pretty cool.

I also heard the trophies are the same but separate so if you have both versions that trophies cost for double. Even nicer all the trophies you unlock for one game unlocks with the other too so you don't have to play it twice. So for all you trophy hunters its a nice pair to have.

#8 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

the reliance on touch screens has all but killed my interest in vita.

#9 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@Hizang: i own both and i am absolutly in love with the idea of playing this on the go. it works perfect!

#10 Edited by DaveD (11 posts) -

Planning on picking it up myself. Lacking Peace Walker kinda sucks, but it sounds like it's pretty good-looking on the Vita. There's not really anything about the actual gameplay part of MGS that makes it unsuited for portables. Just hit the sleep button (or skip, even) if you gotta go do something else during a cutscene.

#11 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Man. You've gone and made me want to replay this series now.

#12 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic: ive beat both of them when i got the hd collection on 360 last year and now im replaying again. it sounds stupid,but it feels like playing them for the first time!

if i had one gripe and it is a minor one, the controls could use some work. it's nothing that breaks the game but the rear touchpad is a tad sensitive and not being able to use the d-pad sucks.but again.those are MINOR issues. i know it's only a port and i know ive played these games countless times before but playing this has me incredibly excited to see what else the vita has in store later on. this right here proves to me that console quality games can be done on handheld and it's fucking brillant!

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: So you're saying when I finally get around to MGS3, I should buy the 360/PS3 version, and not the 3DS version? (Just kidding, obviously I should play the 360 version, though I do wish I could get more use out of this 3DS I bought...)

#14 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -

This reminds me that I still need to pick up the collection on PS3.

#15 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@TooWalrus:

i cant speak fully about snake eater on the 3ds,as i havnt played it extensively, but for all intents and purposes, the vita collection is better. not only do you get a better version of MGS3, but you get MGS2 as well and all for the same price as the 3ds snake eater.

the only reason i would recommend the 3ds version of MGS3 is if your a collector (like me) or if you dont have a vita and you desperatly need a portable version of snake eater.

#16 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: thats not the case at all. ive been playing it on my vita for the last few hours while also helping my girl setup minecraft on her laptop. when ever she hollers,i just hit the sleep button and when i come back, i hit it again and boom,right where i left off.

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@LiquidPrince: So you're saying when I finally get around to MGS3, I should buy the 360/PS3 version, and not the 3DS version? (Just kidding, obviously I should play the 360 version, though I do wish I could get more use out of this 3DS I bought...)

Yeah... The 3DS is just playing my DS games at the moment. However I already own 5 Vita games, so that's saying something.

#18 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -
@ervonymous said:
In order to tiptoe while aiming down the sights you have to do and hold a multi-touch gesture where you drag two fingers in the opposite directions while holding down R and Square and keep your thumb on the analog stick to actually aim.

#19 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree: lol yeah,ive re read that several times and i still dont know what hes talking about. i honestly cant tell if he's trying to explain the controls of if he is being sarcastic.

#20 Edited by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -
#21 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@Redbullet685: cant vouch for that as i dont have a ps3. ive heard it works fine.

#22 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

lol vita lol.

#23 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

lol yeah,ive re read that several times and i still dont know what hes talking about. i honestly cant tell if he's trying to explain the controls of if he is being sarcastic.

• Step Sideways

Drag the left/ride side of the rear touch pad during First Person View to step sideways. Touch the center with two fingers and pinch outward to stretch up. Effective while hiding behind objects during gun fights.

Sounds simple, but it's more frustrating in practice than trying to make sense of my description.

#24 Posted by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

Poor Vita, just can't win.

#25 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (687 posts) -

@Phatmac: keep on laughing chucklehead. the vita is a amazing handheld and it has endless potential. im psyched for the future.

#26 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -

I haven't had too much trouble with the touch controls. I did 300 pull-ups in the tanker and it felt great using my fingers to "pull up" on the rear touch pad. I did screw it up a few times, which would never happen using buttons, but I attribute that to me screwing up the touch. If you pay attention to your relative placement, you get it every time.

I like the rear touch pad when it's used for features that aren't too demanding, but still offer an intelligent alternative to using buttons. Pull-ups aren't a major gameplay action, just an extra that is performed by an extra control set. That's how developers should utilize touch on a device with a full suite of sticks and buttons.

Also the item switching on the touch screen is wonderfully redone.

#27 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Goldanas: Yup, I just finished MGS2. After the initial hump I found it to be a competent version of the game, now to indulge myself in some snake eating.

#28 Posted by TwelveFootFour (154 posts) -

I love it! it's my favorite version of the game. I can take it with me wherever, and I'm getting my trophies up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.