What is the best way to approach this for newcomers?

#1 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -

I'm planning on buying this, and having only played a little of MGS 1,3,4 through the years (Really liking what I played of 1 and 3, not so much 4) I was wondering which game to start with.

I could go 2 -> 3 -> PW because of when the games were released or I could go 3 -> PW -> 2 for chronological order in story.

So, where should I start?

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I say order of release because even though MGS3 and PW take place before the other games, there are still references you won't quite understand unless you play the previously released titles. So I say you play MGS2 before the other two.

#3 Posted by evilrazer (480 posts) -

It's like Star Wars, play it the way is was intended by Kojima and you will get most out of it.

#4 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

Yeah go from MGS2 to 3 then PW

#5 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I'd say MGS3 Peace Walker and then go get Metal Gear Solid 1 and then play MGS2

#6 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -

So, I guess I should go in release order.

#7 Posted by XanderCrews (106 posts) -

Go with the release order. If you plan on playing for the story,(as crazy as it is) I would say go ahead and get MGS 1 from PSN as well.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

You should play MGS1 first, that collection really is not good for newcomers because it misses out that game. Go and download it off the PSn , its cheap and is my favourite in the series. Then go MGS2, MGS3, MGSPW then go and get MGS4.

MGS series done!

#9 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@Redbullet685: Release order is probably the best also because of how game mechanics have been changed/added over the years. CQC is probably the best example. Having it in 3, but not 1 or 2, and then retconned in 4 is...strange, to say the least.

#10 Edited by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

PW kind of only make sense to a vet of the series so I would play any MGS game before that. not to metion its the newest.

I would say MGS1>MGS2>MGS3>MGS4>MGSPW

#11 Posted by DocHaus (1317 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

@Redbullet685: Release order is probably the best also because of how game mechanics have been changed/added over the years. CQC is probably the best example. Having it in 3, but not 1 or 2, and then retconned in 4 is...strange, to say the least.

Snake didn't get the same inherent ability for CQC in his genes, but Liquid did, which is why he owned him so fiercely in that overly-long cutscene in Act 3. Also, "nanomachines."

#12 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@evilrazer said:

It's like Star Wars

Only play half of it? Also at this point what George Lucas supposedly 'intended' is something completely different from the original trilogy as seen by all the terrible edits he's made on the films over the years.

Kojima fortunately hasn't followed down the same path so yeah play it in order of release.

#13 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You should really play MGS1 before MGS2.....you can start off with MGS 3 as its the game that takes place first chronologically in the series.

#14 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

be prepared for controls that have aged very poorly for example holding 3 buttons down to shoot from behind cover.

#15 Posted by NTM (7275 posts) -

Yeah, order of release. It's better that way. DO NOT PLAY THE THIRD FIRST. Go MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, then do all of the in-between games after if you want. Your views on the Metal Gear games will differ I feel if you go in a different order than that. I feel like a lot of people that play games today started playing the MGS series starting with three, and they over-importanize it as if it's the best when there isn't a best. (I know, importanize isn't a word, but you know what I mean).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.