Who else viewed MGS HD collection as MGS: Peace walker + extras.

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

I have been playing PW and have yet to touch MGS2 or 3.

Peace Walker is such a good game. PSP kind of ruined its perception by most people I think.

Online
#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

It didn't look fun to play on the quick look.

#3 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker. There's nothing wrong with that game. It's just that MGS 2&3 brought back memories.

#4 Posted by zDarkHerald (67 posts) -

MGS 3 with extras for me personally.

#5 Posted by Carnage1290 (114 posts) -

@zDarkHerald said:

MGS 3 with extras for me personally.

^^^ This

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Am i the only one who got it for all games, not one specifically? I mean, that's the point of HD Collections, to get it because of all the games.

#7 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

I got it for everything.

MGS2 was my life for a while.

#8 Posted by bybeach (4725 posts) -

To round out my experience with MGS. I had played MGS substance on the PC, and of course MGS 4. Also this is my counterbalance, the other side of the court so to speak, of Halo HD on the X-box 360. I was planning to play these 2 collections now, but I am being delayed by Arkham city...

#9 Edited by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

It didn't look fun to play on the quick look.

The QL sucked. You have to be a few hours into PW to see what it really is. I mean everyone has played MGS2/3 but no one even knows what Peacewalker is. And its a really good game but its biggest downfall was being on PSP.

Online
#10 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@Doctorchimp said:

It didn't look fun to play on the quick look.

The QL sucked. You have to be a few hours into PW to see what it really is.

I'm just talking about the controls.

#11 Edited by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: I thought so too at first but after playing it it pretty much plays exactly how you expect an MGS to play. I mean the aiming is solid. not like aiming with the face buttons on PSP at all its straight dual analogue control.

THE QL REALLY JUST SUCKED LIKE TEN FOOT DICKS.

The GB crew just dislikes/has no faith in MGS.

Online
#12 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

I got it for MGS2.

I'm one of those people that hate 3 and never bothered with the franchise after that.

Then again 3 had that fixed camera which was great for MGS1 and 2 but horrible for 3.

I have yet to touch 3 but i tried peacewalker it looks like it could be good but the whole ''most bosses too hard , your gonna need a co op partner '' thing turned me off from that game.

Idk just my 2 cents .

#13 Edited by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Juicebox said:

I got it for MGS2.

I'm one of those people that hate 3 and never bothered with the franchise after that.

Then again 3 had that fixed camera which was great for MGS1 and 2 but horrible for 3.

I have yet to touch 3 but i tried peacewalker it looks like it could be good but the whole ''most bosses too hard , your gonna need a co op partner '' thing turned me off from that game.

Idk just my 2 cents .

yeah but the version of MGS3 in the collection has a 3D camera that you can control with the right stick.

The coop thing is true about peace walker. but I don't know.. even I have a friend or two to play with. Plus random people online.

Online
#14 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

@Devil240Z:

Really..... I guess I'll check it out then lol

#15 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@Doctorchimp: I thought so too at first but after playing it it pretty much plays exactly how you expect an MGS to play. I mean the aiming is solid. not like aiming with the face buttons on PSP at all its straight dual analogue control.

THE QL REALLY JUST SUCKED LIKE TEN FOOT DICKS.

The GB crew just dislikes/has no faith in MGS.

If you say that you expect a MGS game's controls to suck, I agree with you. It indeed does look like it controls like dreck. Not saying it cannot be good, if you get past that. I don't want to get past it though, hence I ignore it. I feel like MGS should strife to get past its legacy of cumbersome controls.

#16 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Devil240Z said:

@Doctorchimp: I thought so too at first but after playing it it pretty much plays exactly how you expect an MGS to play. I mean the aiming is solid. not like aiming with the face buttons on PSP at all its straight dual analogue control.

THE QL REALLY JUST SUCKED LIKE TEN FOOT DICKS.

The GB crew just dislikes/has no faith in MGS.

If you say that you expect a MGS game's controls to suck, I agree with you. It indeed does look like it controls like dreck. Not saying it cannot be good, if you get past that. I don't want to get past it though, hence I ignore it. I feel like MGS should strife to get past cumbersome controls.

Peace walker has controls comparable to MGS4.

MGS2 and 3 still have the same controls they had on PS2.

But MGS PW actually improved over the PSP version.

Online
#17 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2102 posts) -

@zDarkHerald said:

MGS 3 with extras for me personally.

Same here. The first game I went to was MGS3... now I bought MGS: Portable Ops on the PSP, but never bought Peace Walker... yet... I still went to MGS3 first.

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Hell no....MGS 2 and MGS 3 are both great games and have a ton of content packed into them....if anything, for me it would be MGS 2 + a load of extras.

#19 Posted by Harpell (146 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker. There's nothing wrong with that game. It's just that MGS 2&3 brought back memories.

Agreed. I totally love the other two games, but personally I bought it for the oppurtunity to play 2 & 3 on a hi-def television. I did really enjoy Peace Walker though, more than I thought I would. I must say, however, that I don't know if I'm prepared to grind through to 100% completion on it...

#20 Posted by Minion101 (91 posts) -

I found Peace walker boring. Loved replaying MSG3.

#21 Posted by Narx (172 posts) -

@Minion101 said:

I found Peace walker boring. Loved replaying MSG3.

Sadly my toughts exactly.

Peace Walker seems made to be played on the go....

oh wait...

#22 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

I am getting this for 2. I have played all the way through 3 and while Ocelot and The Boss are amazing characters, I find the enemies in 3 are very weak personality wise. I really liked Vamp and Fortune from 2, although Fatman was a little annoying, and I love Raiden's story. And I've played through the game many times.

#23 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

I didn't buy it, but if I ever do, yes that will be why. The other games have already been on consoles.

#24 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker. There's nothing wrong with that game. It's just that MGS 2&3 brought back memories.

Definitely this, I'm buying for MGS2 and 3, Peacewalker is a sweet little bonus

#25 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@Juicebox said:

I got it for MGS2.

I'm one of those people that hate 3 and never bothered with the franchise after that.

Then again 3 had that fixed camera which was great for MGS1 and 2 but horrible for 3.

I have yet to touch 3 but i tried peacewalker it looks like it could be good but the whole ''most bosses too hard , your gonna need a co op partner '' thing turned me off from that game.

Idk just my 2 cents .

you know they rereleased MGS3 with 3D camera years and years and years ago? that is the version that's on here. only 1 and 2 have fixed camera angles

#26 Posted by FLStyle (4578 posts) -

While I'll replay them all, I'm looking forward to MGS2 and MGS3 more than PW.

With that said, damn the PAL 2012 release date.

#27 Posted by TrashMustache (450 posts) -

I actually view as the other way around, i'm dying to play mgs2 again and getting all the dog tags, i'm not joking. and piss walker is the extra

#28 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

Don't know. Haven't bought it yet. Looking forward to get it sometime. Do I have to know the original story of MGS1 to get a comprehensive idea of what the fuck is going on? Also, I wish they could have included Portable Ops as it was a great game with intense boss fights. They definitely should have bundled that with the game.

#29 Posted by DoctorTran (1544 posts) -
@MikeGosot
Am i the only one who got it for all games, not one specifically? I mean, that's the point of HD Collections, to get it because of all the games.
I'm with you bud. I got it for the whole collection.
#30 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@TrashMustache said:

I actually view as the other way around, i'm dying to play mgs2 again and getting all the dog tags, i'm not joking. and piss walker is the extra

I just managed to get all the dog tags yesterday, now I just need to beat all the VR missions...

#31 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:


                   

I have been playing PW and have yet to touch MGS2 or 3.

Peace Walker is such a good game. PSP kind of ruined its perception by most people I think.



                   

               

Certainly not me. I bought the collection and never touched Peace Walker. Am I missing on a great game?
#32 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker. There's nothing wrong with that game. It's just that MGS 2&3 brought back memories.

This.

MGS FTW

#33 Edited by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

@Klei said:

@Devil240Z said:

I have been playing PW and have yet to touch MGS2 or 3.

Peace Walker is such a good game. PSP kind of ruined its perception by most people I think.

Certainly not me. I bought the collection and never touched Peace Walker. Am I missing on a great game?

well yeah as I see it MGS 2 and 3 are old games, classics. Peace walker is a new game. newer than MGS4. Its as good as any MGS game and if you think of yourself as an MGS fan then you ought to play it.

@Theworldbreaker said:

@pw2566ch said:

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker. There's nothing wrong with that game. It's just that MGS 2&3 brought back memories.

This.

MGS FTW

You could say that to any comment on the MGS HD collection...

Online
#34 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@Klei: I was pleasantly surprised when I started to play it. I never bought a PSP so I missed out on it and it was pretty good. I really liked the Monster Hunter missions as well. (Probably the closest I'm going to get to an "HD" Monster Hunter in the US on a console I own.)

#35 Posted by cikame (969 posts) -

I got it as MGS 2&3 (2 days ago cus i'm in the uk and had to wait my ass off).
 
Playing through the 2nd game first, so much polish it's making me cry.

#36 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

I saw this as a MGS 2&3 HD Collection with a free copy of Peace Walker.

This

#37 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

MGS 2 was the main draw for me...even though I already have 3 different ways of playing it.  
 
@Seppli 
   If you're ignoring the MGS franchise because of this imaginary barrier you've put up, you're losing out on one of the best experiences in gaming. 

#38 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

It's MGS2 and MGS3 with extras, sorry but Peace Walker carrys no nostalgia for me.

#39 Posted by sungahymn (986 posts) -

I think it's the whole package.

#40 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
#41 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I've played PW, but not 2 and 3, so if anything it is the extra.

#42 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

Anyone who sleeps on peace walker is a fool.

THAT is my final word on this subject.

Online
#43 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

They've all owned portions of my life. Since Peace Walker has owned less of my life than the other two, it gets a little more attention right now. But I should stop ignoring the fact that MGS3 is by far, one of the greatest games I have ever played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.