Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

Why no Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f76481472c04
    deactivated-5f76481472c04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Why do you think there is no Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops in the HD collection?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

Because they knew what they were doing.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By AuthenticM

I would have liked to see Portable Ops in there. I've never played it but always wanted to.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Portable Ops wasn't directed by Kojima, I assume that's why. Still, would have made a nice extra.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Considering we're getting an HD console-version of Peace Walker, I'd thank your lucky stars for that, and move on.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The story stuff in Portable Ops was kinda neat (especially the art done for the motion comic style cutscenes), but gameplay wise that game isn't very good. Well, it's certainly not bad, but compared to the other games, it doesn't really hold up. And it's not a looker either (well, when it was released it was a looker for a PSP game, but not compared to Peace Walker). And Peace Walker already looks a lot less good than the other two games in that HD collection.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's not really that big of a loss. At least not when the story (despite being kinda neat) doesn't actually add anything to the overarching story of the MGS series. Seriously, if I remember correctly, it ends with the situation being largely the same as when it started.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By themoon13

As far as I know PO was the "B-Team" and the story if I recall is pretty self-contained. It felt like an experiment to see if MGS could work on PSP.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By themoon13

@PollySMPS: I'm one of the crazies that enjoyed Acid, but that collection you mentioned would be a tough sell even to a big MGS fan like me. We'll see if it ends up happening though.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Stealthmaster86

My one question I have with Portable ops is this: Is this Canon?

shermanatorek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By shermanatorek

@Stealthmaster86: Yes it is.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob

Because it was bad.

Well OK, thats a bit harsh but there's no denying that Peace Walker essentially 'replaces' it as the first major portable MGS. No offence to Ghost Babel.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By BisonHero

@MysteriousBob said:

Because it was bad.

Well OK, thats a bit harsh but there's no denying that Peace Walker essentially 'replaces' it as the first major portable MGS. No offence to Ghost Babel.

Ghost Babel was pretty rad, but at least it was SOOOO obvious from the start that it was non-canon. It was definitely one the best Game Boy Color games.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BatmanReturned

Honestly still why no MGS1 in this collection. The lack of Twin Snakes is obvious and it really makes Konami's deal with Nintendo and Silicon Knights seem like a really bad idea that it essentially cannot be rereleased unless on the Wii U. But come on, MGS1 is already there, its already playable on PS3 with no issues. At there very least a download code as some sort of online pass would have been appreciated.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

I hate how Kojima and Konami try and forget that Portable Ops even exist, it was my favourite PSP game. I spent 80+ hours on the online, it was also my first online experience too so that could be why. But when Old Snake came to the game along with Raiden it got super awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.