Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

HD Peace Walker made me very excited about Metal Gear again

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By kingzetta

It might be equal to or maybe even better than MGS3, and I think MGS3 is the best game on the PS2. I thought it was pretty good on the psp. but controlled horribly. Having the right stick and the L2 ans R2 buttons truly makes it MGS5. Kojima even recently sated that Peace Walker was meant to be MGS5. It reminded me why I was super obsessed with Metal Gear for the last 10 years or so.

The two things I really really want now are either a remake of the MSX metal gear or a another big boss game. I remember Sniper Wolf taking about how Big Boss traveled around gathering up foxhound. How amazing would it be to see Younger psycho mantis and he's on your side. I would pay 60 bucks just for the promise of psycho mantis in really anything. I'm not really interested in Metal gear riseing but I will wait with baited breath to find out whatever this turns out to be.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingzetta

It might be equal to or maybe even better than MGS3, and I think MGS3 is the best game on the PS2. I thought it was pretty good on the psp. but controlled horribly. Having the right stick and the L2 ans R2 buttons truly makes it MGS5. Kojima even recently sated that Peace Walker was meant to be MGS5. It reminded me why I was super obsessed with Metal Gear for the last 10 years or so.

The two things I really really want now are either a remake of the MSX metal gear or a another big boss game. I remember Sniper Wolf taking about how Big Boss traveled around gathering up foxhound. How amazing would it be to see Younger psycho mantis and he's on your side. I would pay 60 bucks just for the promise of psycho mantis in really anything. I'm not really interested in Metal gear riseing but I will wait with baited breath to find out whatever this turns out to be.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

My problem with Peace Walker is that it's not really a Metal Gear game. It's a port of a PSP game, where it's meant to be played in short bursts and then discarded. If they had retooled Peace Walker into a console experience, I'd probably love it.

Also the game looks like absolute ass.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @KingWilly said:

My problem with Peace Walker is that it's not really a Metal Gear game. It's a port of a PSP game, where it's meant to be played in short bursts and then discarded. If they had retooled Peace Walker into a console experience, I'd probably love it.

Didn't think that at all. I played it for hours and hours and thought it actually looked pretty good for an up ported PSP game.
    Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlastProcessing

Good thing Peace Walker wasn't called MGS5, cause it's pretty lame. At least when played on a console.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

I couldn't get through it on the PSP, but I haven't tried it on the PS3 yet. I have it though.

The controls were just horrendous. No pausing when going into item/weapon select, poor aiming, extremely nerfed CQC. I just couldn't do it, and this coming from an MGS super fan. 

But I really don't want another Metal Gear. Four ended it perfectly, and there really isn't too much to go back into. I'm not even going to touch Rising; as far as I'm concerned, it's non-canon and non-existent.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@kingzetta said:

@KingWilly said:

Didn't think that at all. I played it for hours and hours and thought it actually looked pretty good for an up ported PSP game.

Glad you enjoyed it, but it's not what I was expecting. Granted all I heard was "MGS Collection includes MGS2, 3, and PW" and didn't bother to research, but I was thinking they'd at least throw more polys at the game for the console experience. It doesn't play poorly, but I don't like how segregated it is. I've never found gathering intel on missions to be so tedious as it is in Peace Walker. Also, ten minute cutscenes of nothing but motion-comic crap put me off. I understand it's a portable game they threw into the collection, but on the whole I'm disappointed they didn't do more to tailor it to consoles.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I want to get the MGS HD collection just for Peace Walker. Always excited for the ''Further Adventures of Naked Snake!'' Though even without playing Peace Walker, I feel like they've done enough with both Solid Snake and Naked Snake. I remember someone on here suggested a prequel that's based around the early career of The Boss. Now that I would love see one day.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @Abyssfull said:

I want to get the MGS HD collection just for Peace Walker. Always excited for the ''Further Adventures of Naked Snake!'' Though even without playing Peace Walker, I feel like they've done enough with both Solid Snake and Naked Snake. I remember someone on here suggested a prequel that's based around the early career of The Boss. Now that I would love see to come to be one day.

World War 2 The boss adventure
     that would be pretty awesome
    Pierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Pierce

I got thru Peace Walker just fine on my PSP. I really enjoyed that game.

The graphics were really sub-par when compared to consoles, but probably pushed the psp's capability. The short-burst playing was great for when you wanted to play with friends. The CQC was really simplified (hint: once you have the soldier in a choke hold, press the triangle button several times to get the soldier to actually say something useful)

Did you get to the ending, with the ending timeline and speech? Absolute chills, man.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Commisar123

I agree, that game is fantastic and made me believe that MGS is still something I can care about

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

@BlastProcessing said:

Good thing Peace Walker wasn't called MGS5, cause it's pretty lame. At least when played on a console.

Your face is lame. On a console.

!!!!!

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlastProcessing

@Enigma777 said:

@BlastProcessing said:

!!!!!

OHHHHHHHHH! OH NO YOU DIDNT! WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOOOOOO

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By N7
    @BlastProcessing said:

@Enigma777 said:

@BlastProcessing said:

!!!!!

OHHHHHHHHH! OH NO YOU DIDNT! WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOOOOOO

Made me lol pretty good with that.

Anyway, it's really hard being an MGS super-fan on these forums. On one hand, I get where people are coming from, but on another, it's stupid to keep bringing up MGS4's ending.

And there's no deep conceited opinionated rage fit to go along with that statement. Just the fact that Kojima's been working on an MGS game for a while now, and, from what he's been talking about and showing off, a truly next-gen Metal Gear that will be an open world "experience". And I'm pretty sure it's Peace Walker 2.

Another thing is the fact that people didn't play Peace Walker. Again, cool, you didn't like it, you'll get no arguments from me. But when you get to the cliffhanger ending and just know that the sequel is going to be so fucking awesome your nipples will shit dicks. I mean, come on guys. Let's be realistic. Outer Heaven just got formed and Big Boss dropped the mantra of Snake and he's embracing his mercenary destiny. MGS1 called him the "Worlds greatest mercenary" he trained Sniper Wolf in the art of sniping. He trained Liquid and Solid Snake personally(As told in MGS1, with Liquid having real daddy issues). You don't want to see any of that, just because MGS4 ended it "perfectly"? I mean yeah, it did. But you gotta remember that MGS4 was the end of Solid Snake. It wasn't some marketing decision from after the game shipped, it was the thing they wanted to remind us every time they talked about the story. Solid Snake is done for, at least for now.

But with Big Boss, he was the best at what he did, and what he did wasn't very nice. And that's what I really want to see. I want to see him go into full on Mercenary Mode and start outright killing people. I want to see the rise and fall of Outer Heaven. I want to see Big Boss meet up with Gray Fox again. I want to see the truth behind Liquid Snake going batshit insane after he got captured in the Gulf War. I want to see him train Sniper Wolf and The Twin Snakes. And most excitingly enough, I want to see this cold war between him and The Patriots that plunged him into this dark age of mercenary activities.

In MGS4, it was explained very clearly that Big Boss wasn't this evil mercenary he was made out to be, that he was trying to stop The Patriots. That's an exciting-ass thing to get to see. Buddy-ing up with Ocelot and Eva and doing whatever must be done to put an end to The Patriots. Come on now. That's fucking awesome right there.

Given, there is still about 30 years to go after Peace Walker, before Big Boss eats a can of hairspray-flamthrower. It would be no surprise if it ended up being split over multiple games, but Outer Heaven was a thing and it was glorious and I would love to see it as it happened, and deny it as much as you want to, but any fan of MGS would probably have the weirdest boner right now after reading all of this. Because I do.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nottle

@kingzetta: I completely agree. It is a pretty good game. Sure it would be nice if the graphics were a bit better, but it is still an MGS game. Honestly if these MGS4 style controls were in MGS3 or 2 than those games would be even better (MGS2 doesn't need it as bad though.)

The characters and story that I've seen so far are very Metal Gear. Even with the comic style cutscenes it is still pretty interesting. Also I like my MGS environments to be a single large place like MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3. But Peace Walker is fine since I do a lot of building up my base between missions and the short mission length helps with recruiting and having something quick to play online.

@Xtrememuffinman said:

I couldn't get through it on the PSP, but I haven't tried it on the PS3 yet. I have it though. The controls were just horrendous. No pausing when going into item/weapon select, poor aiming, extremely nerfed CQC. I just couldn't do it, and this coming from an MGS super fan. But I really don't want another Metal Gear. Four ended it perfectly, and there really isn't too much to go back into. I'm not even going to touch Rising; as far as I'm concerned, it's non-canon and non-existent.

The aiming recital could be something other than white, but other than that I feel like the aiming is fine and the CQC is easier to pull of than MGS3.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta
    @N7: Yeah Ocelot looked up to big boss as a god, and it would be awesome to see more of that. Sniper Wolf is basically Big Bosses adopted daughter and it would be amazing to see that. Kojima been working on this FOX engine for a really long time. You don't spend 5 years making a new game engine and not do anything with it.
    i bet there will be at least three more metal gear games coming out in this generation, not including Riseing.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By obcdexter

Yeah, Big Boss gathering up the Fox-Hound unit we learned to love (and hate) in the first MGS would be guaranteed greatness. Bring that to the table in whatever format you want, Kojima, and I'm buying it day one! Also plenty of room for new characters that just didn't end up "making" it to the start of the saga.

I also ended up pretty much loving Peace Walker when I got it earlier this year for like 10 € from the bargain bin. Didn't expect anything beforehand - if anything, a disappointing experience on a portable console I never cared about - but was completely satisfied in the end. Don't know if it'll hold up on the big screen, since the collection isn't yet out here in Germany, but I'm keen on revisiting it.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By N7
    @kingzetta: I'll go ahead and say maybe 2, not including Rising, but still.

From what he's been saying on twitter, those pictures are just from the prototype stages. And from what he said in an interview not long ago, this WILL BE AN OPEN WORLD game where everywhere you go you're going to experience things differently. And I'm just assuming this is Peace Walker 2, or even an MGS game at all because of the Snake-like character in these pictures and Afghanastan looking mountainous regions. Also those pictures of the "see through fabric" had some images roughly resembling character models of women you could recruit in Peace Walker.

Kojima also said in at least two interviews before Peace Walker came out that we would see "exactly what happened to Liquid Snake". As we all know, this didn't happen. So all signs point to Peace Walker 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.