Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

Is Peace Walker worth it for just single player?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

I keep hearing that Peace Walker is best played with 4 people, but Ill never have 4 people to play it, I was wondering if anyone played (and especially finished it) just as a normal single player MGS game. Are there even cut scenes and whatnot like any MGS game, or is it more like a Monster Hunter type game?

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Well, there are actual Monster Hunter missions in Peace Walker, and it's somewhat structured like MH. There's a story, but it's sectioned off into somewhat, bite-sized missions. But that's to be expected since it's made for an on-the-go type of experience. I played the HD collection version by myself and I enjoyed it. 60 FPS and the second analog stick probably helped make it a better experience than the PSP version as well.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

yeah it's a full on metal gear game. Kojima even said it's the true MGS 5

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

@Shun_Akiyama said:

yeah it's a full on metal gear game. Kojima even said it's the true MGS 5

i know what Kojima said...Kojima says a lot of things >_>

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Well, there are actual Monster Hunter missions in Peace Walker, and it's somewhat structured like MH. There's a story, but it's sectioned off into somewhat, bite-sized missions. But that's to be expected since it's made for an on-the-go type of experience. I played the HD collection version by myself and I enjoyed it. 60 FPS and the second analog stick probably helped make it a better experience than the PSP version as well.

thanks, this sounds more like what i expected...not sure what to think about this, but at least its not the most expensive psp game. Might give it a try

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Rhaknar: Hey it's not like he's Peter Molyneux, and peace walker actually has more in common with X-com then monster hunter.
    benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benspyda

I'm currently playing through MGS 3 in the HD collection. How do the controls compare to MGS 3, because I admit I'm struggling a bit with them.

WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@benspyda said:

I'm currently playing through MGS 3 in the HD collection. How do the controls compare to MGS 3, because I admit I'm struggling a bit with them.

It's much more "current." No D-pad sneaking, crouch walking, easy take downs. I think they let you fully-rebind the controller and/or choose from multiple control schemes as well. A lot easier to adjust to.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

It's much more "current." No D-pad sneaking, crouch walking, easy take downs.

L1 aim R1 shoot
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

Will you seem to know the most about Peace Walker, Ive never played MGS3 (the only I didnt play of the main 4), will that make Peace Walker harder to enjoy, since its a direct sequel?

WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

Will you seem to know the most about Peace Walker, Ive never played MGS3 (the only I didnt play of the main 4), will that make Peace Walker harder to enjoy, since its a direct sequel?

Not really, it's a pretty contained story. It gives you most of the back story to MGS3 as well for anything you need to know, like stuff that deals with The Boss.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Rhaknar said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

Not really, it's a pretty contained story. It gives you most of the back story to MGS3 as well for anything you need to know, like stuff that deals with The Boss.

you sure there's some pretty pivotal things in MGS3
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Rhaknar said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

I haven't played Peace Walker in a while, but I can't really remember anything from the story that would require you to play MGS3 that they didn't explain to some extent. My memory was already pretty hazy when it came to MGS3 and I didn't feel like I couldn't understand what was happening in the game. Really, the majority of the references are about The Boss and they go through most of the key cutscenes from MGS3 in Peace Walker.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By bibamatt

@Rhaknar: @Shun_Akiyama: I played Peace Walker recently and had never played Snake Eater. I LOVED IT. The story is fine. It explains everything as you go along. I didn't feel like I'd missed anything.

Also yeah, it's great in single player. I ignored the multiplayer for the most part.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Rhaknar said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

I haven't played Peace Walker in a while, but I can't really remember anything from the story that would require you to play MGS3 that they didn't explain to some extent. My memory was already pretty hazy when it came to MGS3 and I didn't feel like I couldn't understand what was happening in the game. Really, the majority of the references are about The Boss and they go through most of the key cutscenes from MGS3 in Peace Walker.

I suppose but it would be a much richer experience, if you did play mgs3 and actually do what you do to The Boss.
    benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By benspyda

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@benspyda said:

It's much more "current." No D-pad sneaking, crouch walking, easy take downs. I think they let you fully-rebind the controller and/or choose from multiple control schemes as well. A lot easier to adjust to.

That sounds great. I don't remember struggling with the controls when it first came out but every time I tried to play it again I couldn't get past the controls, maybe I had more patience back then. I think I should just have put it on easy for MGS3, because it's not the gameplay that made MGS3 one of my favorite experiences of all time. But knowing Peace Walker's controls sound more similar to MGS4, I'm looking forward to playing it a lot more now.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

I played through every mission and extra-ops by myself and I thoroughly enjoyed it.....I did play it cooperatively a few times with random people and found it less enjoyable....I guess it would be more enjoyable if you played with 3 other people you knew but playing it by yourself is perfectly fine.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

@Rhaknar: Peace Walker is totally enjoyable playing offline, but the online mode can be very very useful.

For instance if you are stuck on a boss fight and don't know how to approach it, let a random dude join your game and they may know what to do.

danieljm41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danieljm41
    No Caption Provided

I would recommend this game to anyone. It's incredible. As a matter of fact, I just call my PSP my PEACEWALKER machine now, here's a screen to illustrate my point.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#19  Edited By MightyDuck

I definitely was enjoying Peace Walker when I picked up the MGS HD collection back during Christmas. However, I got stuck at the first major boss battle. I'm sort of at a stand still. I do want to get back into the game though.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Chris2KLee

I played the game totally solo, and while there is a few occasions where you might have to go back and grind a little for equipment, nothing in the game requires you have 4 people. I think I only played with another person once. If you love MGS lore, you really should play through since it reveals a lot about why the Boss becomes who he is later.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Marz

I only played the PSP game solo, bosses took awhile but coop is definately not needed.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By AuthenticM

I'm currently playing through it. I'm nearing the ending. So far... I find it pretty lackluster. This is most certainly not MGS5.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cbarnes86

I played it alone and played for at least 60 hours. There is so much to do in that game. Multiplayer is a a lot of fun, but never played too much (played on PSP).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.