Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

MGS Peace Walker: Day 5

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

Edited By Chris2KLee

Finally reached the first Metal Gear battle, and it was relatively easy, but I had been doing a significant amount of research and side missions, so I was more than prepared. Only stumbling block was figuring out how to use supply drops, didn't realize I had to drop the marker then activate it, like you do with C4. Other wise, probably an easier fight than the tank battle, since there weren't any extra troops with the mech. I've enjoyed the story so far, and I think Metal Gear fans will get a kick out of it. There is definitely some weird tangents in the conversations, but it's nothing new for people who have been following the series. Two new features have opened up also, the metal gear building portion of the game (which didn't have to much to do, since I did not have enough parts yet) and the "Outer Ops". The latter proved more interesting, as it plays out like a very basic war strategy game. Using the combat troops you've collected, and any vehicles (like tanks and APCs) you captured, you send them out to attack specific targets in between your missions. So far the fights have been easy, again thanks to my over collecting. But I could see things get rougher soon, as the enemy has yet to show any armored vehicles of their own. 

Focusing more on the gameplay in missions, the new CQC features make it much easier to neutralize soldiers in the field. While I still rely on headshots from my tranq gun a lot, the simple of tactic of luring a solider around a corner and chocking him out is becoming equally useful. Speaking of headshots, the game totally does the thing where now soldiers are showing up with helmets so, you guessed it, first you have to shoot the helmet and then you shoot the dude in the face. Otherwise, now that I've gotten used to activating the auto-aim when I get into firefights with alerted troops, the game is feeling much better controlwise. That said, I am tempted to buy a PSP Go just to use PS3 controller with it. A second analog stick is all that is keeping this game from feeling like MGS4, which was the pinnacle of controls for this series as far as I'm concerned. If Sony were to release this as a PSN game, or even a PS2 game, they'd have a solid million seller I think. Maybe when / if the MGS Blue-Ray edition comes out.

No Caption Provided

Anyways, I'm off to kill a Metal Gear repeatedly, so I can harvest it's robot guts and for my own Frankengear. Never thought I'd be grinding for drops in a MGS game, but I'm down!
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chris2KLee

Finally reached the first Metal Gear battle, and it was relatively easy, but I had been doing a significant amount of research and side missions, so I was more than prepared. Only stumbling block was figuring out how to use supply drops, didn't realize I had to drop the marker then activate it, like you do with C4. Other wise, probably an easier fight than the tank battle, since there weren't any extra troops with the mech. I've enjoyed the story so far, and I think Metal Gear fans will get a kick out of it. There is definitely some weird tangents in the conversations, but it's nothing new for people who have been following the series. Two new features have opened up also, the metal gear building portion of the game (which didn't have to much to do, since I did not have enough parts yet) and the "Outer Ops". The latter proved more interesting, as it plays out like a very basic war strategy game. Using the combat troops you've collected, and any vehicles (like tanks and APCs) you captured, you send them out to attack specific targets in between your missions. So far the fights have been easy, again thanks to my over collecting. But I could see things get rougher soon, as the enemy has yet to show any armored vehicles of their own. 

Focusing more on the gameplay in missions, the new CQC features make it much easier to neutralize soldiers in the field. While I still rely on headshots from my tranq gun a lot, the simple of tactic of luring a solider around a corner and chocking him out is becoming equally useful. Speaking of headshots, the game totally does the thing where now soldiers are showing up with helmets so, you guessed it, first you have to shoot the helmet and then you shoot the dude in the face. Otherwise, now that I've gotten used to activating the auto-aim when I get into firefights with alerted troops, the game is feeling much better controlwise. That said, I am tempted to buy a PSP Go just to use PS3 controller with it. A second analog stick is all that is keeping this game from feeling like MGS4, which was the pinnacle of controls for this series as far as I'm concerned. If Sony were to release this as a PSN game, or even a PS2 game, they'd have a solid million seller I think. Maybe when / if the MGS Blue-Ray edition comes out.

No Caption Provided

Anyways, I'm off to kill a Metal Gear repeatedly, so I can harvest it's robot guts and for my own Frankengear. Never thought I'd be grinding for drops in a MGS game, but I'm down!
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...it took you 5 days to get to the first gear battle?  O_o

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...it took you 5 days to get to the first gear battle?  O_o "
    Playing here and there, basically whenever I'm commuting or on lunch break at work. When I get home my consoles take over :)
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah took me a bit too, but now I'm done the main story. It's all extra ops and other weird little things. Snake just sexed up Paz, which was awkward, but then I got my Metal Gear going finally. (That tank battle is the last one where you get to keep the AI boards in the story, so if you want Metal Gear parts, just keep fighting the AI bosses again and again, but Peace Walker is out.)  

Oh, and my Metal Gear just got nukes. Booyeah! 

And yeah outer ops gets kinda crazy, I'm fighting like three helicopters and some troops at once. Luckily I have Metal Gear Zeke, a tank, two APCs and 4 troops to rock them with.  

Also yes dude do more CQC, it's so handy, especially when you trigger an alert and are surrounded, you just toss a dude, and then keep spamming the trigger and you knock them all out. Especially with the helmets, cause that tends to be a problem. 

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @XII_Sniper:  I'm just starting the second chapter, Heli fight is up next. I am totally grinding the Pupa fight, as it is dead easy with all the gear I have already. I saw the Paz thing posted, it strikes me as also a little creepy, but I file it under "Ape Escape Level" as far as effect on the game. It's weird it's there, but it doesn't really effect the overall game (also, isn't there a date with Kaz or something later? Knowing Kojima that ends in a Love box also). Anyhow, gonna get back to work, need to complete the head unit on my metal gear, and find out if I can Unlock the Monster Hunter Mission anytime soon.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Chris2KLee: You got a PS3 connected via wire?  I need help on the latter bosses, and the Quest Bosses.  >.>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.