Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

MGS: Peace Walker TGS Demo Impressions

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Otacon

This entry originally comes from a website I have recently set up, as it is only three weeks old, hits are still a little sparse so I'm posting it here as well.

As I said in a previous post, it seems odd that I have played the latest MGS game, mere months after it was announced, years I waited anxiously to get my hands on MGS4, so it’s a breath of fresh air that the latest Metal Gear Solid title on the PSP seems to be coming along swiftly.

The first thing I noticed about Peace Walker is its over all look and production quality, just from the TGS demo you can tell that the attention to graphical detail goes far beyond any title that I have ever seen on the PSP. In game graphics aren’t where the high production value stops either, menus and cutscenes come over very well too, and that’s even the more of a compliment to give as the TGS demo is obviously in Japanese and my knowledge of Japanese begins and ends with ‘Domo’.

Speaking of the cutscenes, they are done in a familiar format to the cutscenes in ‘MGS: Portable Ops’ taking the form of a moving comic. There are beautiful transitions when the 3D switches to the 2D cartoons, and overall, the cutscenes seem a little more colourful than the drawings in Portable Ops.  

On to the important part then, gameplay. Peace Walker seems to take most of its influence from MGS4 with a fully movable camera and and a third person aim mode for weaponry. Of course, the PSP doesn’t have a second analogue pad so camera movements are mapped to the face buttons. This obviously isn’t as comfortable or convenient as having the extra pad, but the game makes up for it with auto aim etc. Your main ‘action button’ seems to be the right shoulder button which controls your CQC abilities and fires when in aim mode (holding the left shoulder button). My main issue with the controls is that crouching and sticking to walls is mapped to the
    D-pad which means you need to take your thumb off the analogue pad to press the button, this can be a little awkward as it means that you need to stop your movement in order to crouch or move up against a wall. Again this is only a little problem which you will probably get used to the more you play the game. Also, when you lay down n the ground you couldn’t then crawl, which is something I tend to do a lot in the series so I hope this is added in to the game.

The demo itself started with Big Boss and his recruited troops on a beach in the dark, a set up for your basic tutorial level with one troop shouting commands at you that you have to adhere to. After a cutscene you are on a beach with Miller, who players of the original MGS or MG2 may recognise, giving you commands by codec. you then make your way into the forest where you get a real sense of what the game is like sneaking up on enemies and practicing CQC and gunplay including a possibility to try out co-op in the part after the tutorial. 

No Caption Provided
    The best thing about Peace Walker that I have seen so far is that it doesn’t seem like the franchise has been comprimised to make a PSP game in the series. It seems like everything from control mechanics to the look of the game have been meticulously thought out to fit the system. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of this game.

(I apologize for the generally shoddy screen snaps!)     
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Otacon

This entry originally comes from a website I have recently set up, as it is only three weeks old, hits are still a little sparse so I'm posting it here as well.

As I said in a previous post, it seems odd that I have played the latest MGS game, mere months after it was announced, years I waited anxiously to get my hands on MGS4, so it’s a breath of fresh air that the latest Metal Gear Solid title on the PSP seems to be coming along swiftly.

The first thing I noticed about Peace Walker is its over all look and production quality, just from the TGS demo you can tell that the attention to graphical detail goes far beyond any title that I have ever seen on the PSP. In game graphics aren’t where the high production value stops either, menus and cutscenes come over very well too, and that’s even the more of a compliment to give as the TGS demo is obviously in Japanese and my knowledge of Japanese begins and ends with ‘Domo’.

Speaking of the cutscenes, they are done in a familiar format to the cutscenes in ‘MGS: Portable Ops’ taking the form of a moving comic. There are beautiful transitions when the 3D switches to the 2D cartoons, and overall, the cutscenes seem a little more colourful than the drawings in Portable Ops.  

On to the important part then, gameplay. Peace Walker seems to take most of its influence from MGS4 with a fully movable camera and and a third person aim mode for weaponry. Of course, the PSP doesn’t have a second analogue pad so camera movements are mapped to the face buttons. This obviously isn’t as comfortable or convenient as having the extra pad, but the game makes up for it with auto aim etc. Your main ‘action button’ seems to be the right shoulder button which controls your CQC abilities and fires when in aim mode (holding the left shoulder button). My main issue with the controls is that crouching and sticking to walls is mapped to the
    D-pad which means you need to take your thumb off the analogue pad to press the button, this can be a little awkward as it means that you need to stop your movement in order to crouch or move up against a wall. Again this is only a little problem which you will probably get used to the more you play the game. Also, when you lay down n the ground you couldn’t then crawl, which is something I tend to do a lot in the series so I hope this is added in to the game.

The demo itself started with Big Boss and his recruited troops on a beach in the dark, a set up for your basic tutorial level with one troop shouting commands at you that you have to adhere to. After a cutscene you are on a beach with Miller, who players of the original MGS or MG2 may recognise, giving you commands by codec. you then make your way into the forest where you get a real sense of what the game is like sneaking up on enemies and practicing CQC and gunplay including a possibility to try out co-op in the part after the tutorial. 

No Caption Provided
    The best thing about Peace Walker that I have seen so far is that it doesn’t seem like the franchise has been comprimised to make a PSP game in the series. It seems like everything from control mechanics to the look of the game have been meticulously thought out to fit the system. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more of this game.

(I apologize for the generally shoddy screen snaps!)     
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Looks to be a class title. One that seriously has me considering giving out hints to friends and family over my need for a psp...and the date of my birthday xP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.