Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

Recently Played: Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Back when I was talking about the Metal Gear series, someone mentioned I should play Peace Walker for a number of reasons. Most of those reasons involving the story lead in to the likes of Metal Gear Solid V with the characters and setting, and maybe that it was under appreciated or something. Well, I played Peace Walker.

The result is that I have a new low as far as this series is concerned. I thought Metal Gear Soild 4 was my least favorite, but boy does Peace Walker beat that game in spades. At least MGS4 doesn't require voodoo, blood sacrifices, and obscure logic shit just to see the final ending. People were complaining about the unclear nonsense it took to beat the P.T. Silent Hills demo thing, and Peace Walker has that same kind of flavor. Hopefully this isn't the start of a bad trend for Kojima-related projects.

I'm not saying its the worst game ever, even in relation to Metal Gear. But the lows outnumber the highs in staggering amounts.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Deterrence Deterrence Deterrence)

This is a game that never ends.

His gimmick is to drag out the game hours longer than it should be
    His gimmick is to drag out the game hours longer than it should be

Peace Walker is the game that absolutely refuses to end. That may be good or bad depending on your tastes and experiences, but for me, this game felt like an eternity. I spent a good two days being completely done with it, but unable to leave it alone because I was stuck in Chapter 5 and desperately wanted to finish it out because I felt like I was so close. I found at least three different explanations on how to reach the final boss only to be completely stumped as the game nearly refused to let me finish the video game world's longest, most drawn out game of hide and seek I've ever seen. Man, is Steve Blum good at playing elusive instigators. I still don't know how I managed to unlock the final mission, but I'm so glad it's over.

But let's back up real quick. My main problem with Peace Walker is that it's not really a Metal Gear Solid game. It's more along the lines of Monster Hunter with a Metal Gear Solid coat of paint. It's a weird half-Metal Gear where you can't crawl around (you can only lay down in a stationary position), you can't sidle along walls edges, and in lieu of boss battles with quirky super soldiers, you fight tanks, helicopters, and AI controlled machines by the bucket load. It's also designed primarily to be a handheld with lightning fast stages designed to be beat minutes at a time. Unfortunately these short missions don't have nearly enough variety or things to justify it. It's got multiplayer, and that must be why all the bosses in this game take forever to beat. Forever. Like there aren't enough missiles and rockets in the world.

But I'm four paragraphs in and I feel like all I'm doing is dumping on it. It's not that bad, but if you're expecting another sneak-em-up Metal Gear style, you had best rearrange your expectations.

Codename: Batman (Advanced CQC is Awesome)

However, the greatest thing Peace Walker does is moving Naked Snake/Big Boss one step closer to having the ability to completely wreck squads of guys with nothing but two fists and some fast moves. CQC is really, really effective in this game. You could probably beat all the sneaking stages in this game with nothing but your bare hands. One of the reasons it's so good, its a new combo move that involves throwing an enemy to the ground, and then mashing out the attack button to take down any of his nearby friends. It's so damn good, and fun, and effective.

Peace Walker is the only game I know where you can turn Big Boss into Batman. My favorite tactic involved throwing a smoke grenade into a crowd of guys, running in, throwing one of them to the ground, and then taking out the other three with the CQC Combo Chain before the smoke clears. It's so awesome. So every cutscene from MGS3 where Naked Snake takes out like five guys at once is now totally possible. What's also improved is ambushing guys around corners. You can grab an enemy as they're rounding a corner and do what you please with them. I like tossing them on the ground and then holding them up. The only thing keeping you from beating the game without firing a shot is all the boss battles with tanks, AI drones, and helicopters.

Not So Much about the Mission

The main focus though doesn't have much to do with the actual playing of the game. Really it's about building your oil rig-style main base. You have to fill out your personnel roster by kidnapping the soldiers you usually avoid or murder throughout the story. The main draw involves using the resources of your crew to research gadgets and weapons. However, the way the game unlocks new stuff is something I never got a handle on. Sometimes it would be a bonanza as I have shotguns and radars to research and other times complete droughts. I got to a point toward the end of the game where I had nothing to research but was building up tons of funds. All that money, and nothing to spend it on. Which wasn't so bad because the main thing you really need to beat this game is a rocket launcher.

You'll also need tons of patience. Because those rocket launchers only have 5 or 6 shots and you'll need way, WAY more than that to beat the boss encounters in this game. Half of boss fights involve waiting to resupply. They take so long. I don't know if I've said that before, but they take forever. Even if you're shooting for weaknesses, the amount of damage it takes to beat a tank or an AI drone is stupid. It makes even The End fight from MGS3 look fun. Mostly, the problem is that they're poorly paced and feel built for multiple people hammering on a single target like Monster Hunter. But who the hell is going to play the PS3 version of Peace Walker online? No one I could find, that's for sure.

That final boss is total garbage too. The presentation, the difficulty, the weird J-Pop music they play when you're fighting a Metal Gear. And the pilot is wearing nothing but her underwear for some reason? What probably makes it feel worse than it actually is was all the effort (or luck) just to get there. I do really love the idea of building your worst enemy. Creating the final boss... but getting there is just too dumb to capitalize on that.

No Peace for the Story

Dr. Strangelove is too cool for programming school. She's alright.
    Dr. Strangelove is too cool for programming school. She's alright.

The story is alright. Steve Blum's character wants to equalize capitalism from Central America, and then things get weird as Metal Gear stories tend to do. Most of this probably falls on my personal preference. It's got a few hitches involving The Boss from MGS3 (who I felt had a pretty complete story) and there's a pretty confusing plot beat with Big Boss where he's wondering about things that were explained to him at the end of Snake Eater. Like, didn't EVA already cover why The Boss defected to the Soviet Union and why you had to kill her, Big Boss? And then the namesake of this game bringing her back as a singing robot... well... I think I would rather play a game as The Boss instead of playing a game about The Boss if that's what it takes.

I did like the comic art style (not so much those QTEs) for a couple of characters. Villains look like real villains with devious smiles and twisted necks. Hot Coldman has some pretty fantastic grins. And Big Boss looks like an insane mountain man in some scenes.

"Soon you will witness true hell!"

And then there's Paz. Who doesn't do much in the story at first except add tons of creep factor later on. If you were uncomfortable with the Beauty and the Beast unit from MGS4, prepare to take on Paz. Beating Peace Walker completely involves crawling in a box with her while hearts rise up with all sorts of unfortunate implications. Again, I don't know what it adds to the experience other than to be a poorly executed non-sequitur. I can really do without scenes like this in these games. I just want to sneak around and fight quirky bosses, man. Maybe blow up nuclear walking death machines every now and then.

Finding that Ending

I'm also still burned about how obscure the ending to this game is. I still don't know what triggered it, and I'm not even talking about the parts you need to get there. Eventually you're just grinding it out playing missions that aren't good enough for repeated playthroughs. You could say that there is a lot here in Peace Walker, but the game feels bloated rather than stacked with content. The unique or funny missions are few and far in-between (like holding up soldiers with a banana) and there are too many that feel like busy work (disarming claymores, anyone?)

But it's over now. Peace Walker is done. And I really don't know what to think of Metal Gear Solid V now. I'm sure that game will be weird and crazy as Metal Gear games tend to do. I just hope they don't bury the plot progression behind unclear goals and mounds of uninteresting tasks.

And I would complain about Paz... but they pretty much already dealt with that problem in Ground Zeroes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I didn't have the patience to grind boss battles for AI core parts (or capture Zardanov over and over again) so I just looked up the final boss battle and true ending on youtube. Because eff the boss battles in this game. They're so bad. It's a pity too, because the true ending of this game is the sort of bonkers Metal Gear stuff I wanted out of Peace Walker in the first place. Instead the story is all "Yo nukes are bad" because that isn't a theme that has been hammered to death in this series at all and then there is a Robot that is based on The Boss and hell if I know. Hot Coldman. Ugh.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

This game is a lot more fun if you play through it with a friend. Especially the dumb as hell Monster Hunter bosses.

You know what's cooler than a walking nuclear battle tank?       A walking nuclear battle tank that is somehow a dinosaur.
    You know what's cooler than a walking nuclear battle tank? A walking nuclear battle tank that is somehow a dinosaur.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loved Peacewalker, though my favorite part was just sitting there listening to hours upon hours of tapes. Fulton Recovery is so amazing and the bosses where you can stun all the guys to win were a lot of fun.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Y'all be crazy. Waving this peacewalker fandom flag forever over here.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

Peacewalker was a really well made PSP game - the first really great PSP game I actually played since I bought that system. It's a lot more over the top than any of the other Metal Gears in the series but that's what's so cool about it. You go inside a big robot brain and pull out ram chips!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By audioBusting

"That ending" is literally anime. It's the strongest evidence that Metal Gear solid is, in fact, a Real Anime.

And yeah, I still can't really understand Paz either. When I heard about the nonsense in Ground Zeroes, I instantly believe it because did anyone even play Peace Walker, in which Snake literally has implicit sex in a cardboard box with a then-thought-to-be-underaged girl, who is also Paz. Not to mention all those Paz/Strangelove tapes. It's all sorts of gross but it sure is consistent!

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Sarumarine

@fredchuckdave said:

Loved Peacewalker, though my favorite part was just sitting there listening to hours upon hours of tapes. Fulton Recovery is so amazing and the bosses where you can stun all the guys to win were a lot of fun.

Fulton Recovery is a lot of fun, I have to admit that. I developed the Smoke Grenade strategy doing just what you described., capturing a gang of soldiers in one go.

@humanity said:

Peacewalker was a really well made PSP game - the first really great PSP game I actually played since I bought that system. It's a lot more over the top than any of the other Metal Gears in the series but that's what's so cool about it. You go inside a big robot brain and pull out ram chips!

I agree that climbing into a computer and just ripping stuff out was cool. I was pretty confused the first time I did it, but the second time I was like "I'm gonna get in there!" It gets a lot more taxing on repeated playthroughs because they always play the same dialogue and always tell you the same thing about what the chips mean and...

I guess I'm trying to say that it pops up a little too often.

Y'all be crazy. Waving this peacewalker fandom flag forever over here.

I am glad I saw Peace Walker, though. I didn't have a great as time as other people, but it has its moments.

This game is a lot more fun if you play through it with a friend. Especially the dumb as hell Monster Hunter bosses.

You know what's cooler than a walking nuclear battle tank? A walking nuclear battle tank that is somehow a dinosaur.

Yup, I heard about those. I wish they popped up sooner or were easier to find. If Peace Walker was more like that instead of some of the more boring missions, I could get more behind that.

I had also considered that the Zardanov missions would probably easier to swallow if you were just playing the game with a friend or just doing missions for the hell of it instead of trying to get to the last mission.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

The music in Peace Walker is by far my favorite Metal Gear music.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I stopped playing the original version after the first large boss. Planned to play it on the HD collection.... but meh, watched a Youtube video instead. Story had some neat moments, I suppose.

The mission structure is what I'm worried MGS V will be. Short, inconsequential tasks to build up a home base. I need that narrative drive to keep me going in a Metal Gear game.

I will say that listening to the Ground Zeroes Paz tapes, where she reflects on her time with Big Boss and his crew, wouldn't have been possible without Peace Walker. I liked those quite a bit, so thanks, PW.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Narrative meaning lack of gameplay? That's what that is in MGS you realize; I'd rather have gameplay and maybe a bunch of backloaded cutscenes. Not the 2 hours of gameplay in MGS4 and then 10 hours of cutscenes, 1 hour of gameplay, then 10 hours of cutscenes, then 1 more hour of gameplay, game done.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

@fredchuckdave said:

@csl316: Narrative meaning lack of gameplay? That's what that is in MGS you realize; I'd rather have gameplay and maybe a bunch of backloaded cutscenes. Not the 2 hours of gameplay in MGS4 and then 10 hours of cutscenes, 1 hour of gameplay, then 10 hours of cutscenes, then 1 more hour of gameplay, game done.

No, not meaning lack of gameplay at all. I just need a worthwhile objective. Rescue Sokolov. Meet up with EVA. Stop a nuclear strike. Face The Boss. Things that seem important.

Peace Walker had a bunch of generic objectives in its side scenarios like find the intel, destroy the armored vehicle, defeat the soldiers. It felt like filler that just reused assets over and over. When Kojima mentioned how huge MGS V is, I'm worried how they're going to populate all these areas with interesting scenarios.

I don't want to grind in Metal Gear, I don't want inconsequential objectives like Destiny's patrol mode. I want a varied main campaign that's replayable. I don't need to see the cutscenes again after an initial playthrough, but I'll still have the drive to do stuff because I know it matters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.