Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

Should Drew play this during his Metal Gear journey?

• 75 results
    cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With Metal Gear Scanlon 2 coming to a close, Drew and Dan are coming closer to the more recent Metal Gear games. If they end up seeing this whole thing through by eventually playing through MGS V, I think Peace Walker is a pretty crucial game to play since it ties so directly into the latest games. It isn't a numbered game but I remember Kojima saying that it really should have been just based on how important it is to the overall story. What do you guys think? Personally I would want to see him play it since I think it's the most interesting entry so far gameplay wise, though that will likely be trumped next year.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By handlas

Be nice since I never played it. I'm surprised the series has kept going, personally. I thought it would be one and done after MGS. I look forward to MGS3 assuming it keeps going. That's my fav MGS story/character-wise. I'm still not convinced Drew actually likes the story and playing the games though. Given, he's going back and playing old games but I did play MGS2 recently on Vita and still enjoyed it.

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Definitely.

That game is very wacky, and that is probably the most important thing about MGS. It's wackitacity. Peace Walker rules. Cigars.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
    wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course they should play it. peace walker is a very important game in the metal gear franchise. arguably one of the most important. the probably is that it's boss fights are ridiculously difficult and drew isn't particularly good at metal gear in the first place.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By stalefishies

I'd really like to see them play it, but that's mainly because Metal Gear Scanlon is great and I want as much of it as possible.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Why is everyone assuming they're going to play through Phantom Pain when it's released? It's one thing to make a feature out of playing through games that are a decade old, but playing a brand-new game in its entirety while it's still in its sales window, and charging a subscription fee for it? That'd be pretty hinkey if you ask me.

As for Peace Walker... sure, why not? If it was still a PSP exclusive, I'd say they should skip it, but it's in the HD collection so sure, I'd watch that. And I just played through Ground Zeroes this week on PC for the first time, so selfishly I'd like to get some more background on all this Chico / Paz / ZEKE stuff.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CptBedlam

Nah, since this is at least somewhat about Drew's and the audiences enjoyment I'd say just play Snake Eater and be done with it (also skip MGS4). I really suspect that Drew will enjoy MGS3 the most out of all the games in the series. Such a great Cold War vibe and it's also the most cohesive MGS game.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say absolutely since Peace Walker is pretty fantastic especially with the Mother Base building side stuff. The broken up missions make it perfect for a video series. I especially feel like it would be a fitting end for the Metal Gear Scanlon series if Dan grabs a PSP (they gotta have one sitting somewhere, right?) and joins Drew's game in co-op since I wanna say the HD version can still play with the PSP version.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't feel it's necessary to play, only to have the knowledge of, it'd also take forever to finish if they were going after the real ending.

Although frankly I just don't like the game design at all, I felt Portable Ops was a better 'game' but had no real importance to the story.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I would like him to as I haven't played it, but I imagine they'll just do the core games. I even get the feeling that 4, being more recent, is less like something Drew feels he missed and just knows nothing about, which was kind of the initial impetus of the series.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

No, these guys don't have infinite time. Stick to the numbered games.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes. Peace Walker is a main game in the series, even if not numbered. Plus, it's excellent. Although it will take a while for them to get to the ending proper.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Itwastuesday

no cuz the game sucks!!!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quarters

Yes, because MGSV is a direct sequel to it. It's a main game, just like the other ones. The only one he could probably get away with skipping is Portable Ops, even though that has its moments. As a side note, hope he plays Metal Gear Rising too, but I doubt Dan will be really down with that idea.

@kevin_cogneto While I don't expect them to play The Phantom Pain on Metal Gear Scanlon, Drew has said he wants to be able to play it when it comes out in some fashion, so it makes sense for them to do Peace Walker. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended this with Ground Zeroes, though, since it would only take an episode.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never get into it, so I hope so. But really, I just hope they do Snake Eater and 4, and the rest would just be a bonus. I know Drew will love Snake Eater with its setting and tone, and 4 is so batshit that his reactions will be hilarious. 4 might be a tough sell though, since it's mostly cutscenes.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: With the speed that they are going through the games I doubt they would be able to get to TPP before June at least, and that's not factoring in any convention prep/ travel that they are going to have to do. Realistically it would probably more like August By that point I wouldn't really call it being in it's sales window. In terms making playthroughs of new games premium content, Patrick does it on Spookin all the time. Still you are right that they haven't said how far they are going to take this, I just doubt that now that they are this far that they will just stop part way.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Corevi

Definitely. It's integral to the story and MGS5: Ground Zeroes picks up directly after it.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance should also be done because Dan hates it for literally no reason despite thinking that sword fighting the president is the coolest thing in the series and the final boss of MGR is a callback to that while being an actually fun fight. Also the soundtrack is the coolest thing ever.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

I'd be very happy if they ended up doing Peace Walker, but I doubt either of them would consider it worth playing for Metal Gear Scanlon, and I can't fault them for that. Personally, I just hope Drew finds the willpower to finish 3 and 4. Perhaps there will be a bonus episode type of thing where he dips his toes into the main mission of Ground Zeroes, or something, but I honestly can't see the series continuing past that, realistically speaking. They're definitely not going to play all of MGSV in front of a camera when it's such a recent game though, I'm sure of that. I wouldn't get my hopes up, in any case.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z

@cptbedlam said:

Nah, since this is at least somewhat about Drew's and the audiences enjoyment I'd say just play Snake Eater and be done with it (also skip MGS4). I really suspect that Drew will enjoy MGS3 the most out of all the games in the series. Such a great Cold War vibe and it's also the most cohesive MGS game.

Why skip MGS4 its like the best one story wise... Its also the end result of every thing that happens in all Metal Gear games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cptbedlam said:

I disagree. I think playing MGS4 would give him the full rounded experience that comes with being an MGS fan. I'm not sure why, but I think that it's important to spot the difference between a game Kojima is passionate about and a game he made because he had to. That and MGS4 has its own moments worth experiencing as fan of the series.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's an important addition in terms of story but I don't think they should play it.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'd be interesting to see how they handle the sheer content in the game. That might be enough to count as a proper *COUGH* Endurance Run, in length.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'd want them to play it, but Drew will probably find those boss fights to be as terrible as I thought they were; especially for a Metal Gear game...

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As much as I really loved the story in Peacewalker--made 3's emotional beats resonate more with me than in Snakeeater itself-- I think he should probably skip it. It's just too long and the gameplay is severely trivialized on a tv with a controller. He should definitely watch one of the YouTube videos of all of the cutscenes though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope. Hot Coldman would be disappointed, but eh... You can learn about Paz and Chico through a short summary.

It's not like they'd get the real ending and find out what's up with Paz without a summary, anyway.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should, but only if he goes right through and plays GZ and MGSV when it comes out.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes, he should. It's very important to the overall fiction, and to MGSV (both GZ and Phantom Pain).

Really, the fact that this game has so much disdain, even from fans of the series bums me out. Yeah, it has problems, almost all of which because it was originally built as a PSP game. But he should play it. Hell, I'll go online and walk him through it in co-op if I have to!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fattony12000

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is a Metal Gear Solid video game.

If Drew is playing through the entire Metal Gear Solid series of video games then he should play all of the Metal Gear Solid video games.

Or do whatever, I dunno.

Also, more content for us is good. For us, that is.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Heck no, this game is very bad and plays like shit even by MGS 2/3 standards, the controls are awful.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I just had an idea...what if they actually did Peace Walker co-op? Pull another PS3/TV in and have Dan play along? Might help speed it up a bit. I think you can play most of the main missions(if not all) with at least one other person. Could be a whole different kind of entertaining.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

100% yes. It is a main game in the series even if it isn't a numbered entry. The story is crucial.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@goranp said:

People who say that PW controls like shit are literally out of touch with the HD version. It has modern non PSP controls.

I played that version and think it controls like shit. So that is not true.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is crucial for the MGSV story so I would say so. Before MGSV was announced I remember Kojima referring to Peace Walker as being essentially 5. The HD version of PS3 controls fine too so the controls shouldn't be nearly as much as an issue if it were played on PSP.

You can easily ignore most of the side stuff and just do the main missions.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No its a bad game with some of the worst characters in the series. The small bit of story it tells is important but its summarized in a much better fashion in GZ.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlmostSwedish

The purpose of the series was to introduce Drew to the series. At some point (arguably after MGS4), we have reached a point where Drew has experienced enough MGS to know what it's all about. So I don't think they need to cover every single game in the series, and I'm not even sure it would be entertaining to watch if they did.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured he would stop after MGS4. I've seen this series as more of a catch-up on the series for Drew, with the experienced Dan aiding him along the way. If Drew wants to pursue the rest of the series after 4, he can do that on his own.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pyrodactyl

I mean, there is very little important stuff in peace walker until the very, VERY end. Most people don't ever get to that part. I didn't even get it and I played a bunch of that game.

The central conflict in peace walker feels like a B story. You need to know a few characters since they will play major roles in MGS5 but the main story is entirely optional. The side stuff is what's important, weirdly enough. Building Zeke, knowing Miler, Chico and Paz, what happens with Paz are all important but could probably be explained by Dan just after the breifing in ground zeros.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much everything you need to know about Peace Walker is summed up in a briefing in Ground Zeroes.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's not very good and would be boring to watch, especially the grind for the real ending.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

Actually, I just had an idea...what if they actually did Peace Walker co-op? Pull another PS3/TV in and have Dan play along? Might help speed it up a bit. I think you can play most of the main missions(if not all) with at least one other person. Could be a whole different kind of entertaining.

That'd be the worst. You have to invite other players to every single mission, and most of them are like 5 minutes long.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

The nature of the game would make it pretty boring to watch I think. It would be cool if they played it but i wouldn't expect them to.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should not play it. Play 3 and 4. Let Dan fill in the peace walker stuff with some explanations like he has done with the original Metal Gear Big Boss stuff. That is sufficiant in my mind.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Baillie

The game is pretty shit. It has a few moments that are good, but by a few I mean literally about 3. The game is BLOATED as fuck too. I don't see what everyone loves about it, it's story does get better during the last quarter of the game, but man is it a hard game to sit and play, nevermind watching.

Also, it'll be a huge come down after 3. The best game in the series!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ofc he should play it if he wants to experience metal gear solid. No more to say about it.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd better play Metal Gear Acid too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have a special place in my heart knowing Big Boss drinking Mate tea. So I would be OFFENDED if Drew doesn't play this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.