What happened to the 360 version?

#1 Posted by pyrodactyl (1961 posts) -

It was in the store for 20$ a few days ago and now it just shows up in search and you can't buy it.

#2 Posted by Rabid619 (1094 posts) -

I heard it was taken down because the version that they released was kinda busted. Should be back up soon, I'd think. I hope, anyway, only reason I even know it's down is because I went to buy it.

#3 Posted by pyrodactyl (1961 posts) -

@Rabid619: How is it?

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10817 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: I only played the PSP version of Peace Walker, but I can tell you that aside from the PSP controls, it's a fantastic game. So I'd assume that proper dual-stick controls would only improve it. Just remember that the environments are pretty small, largely because of the memory constraints of the PSP.

#5 Posted by Rabid619 (1094 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: Wish I knew, like I said I went to buy it only to find out that I couldn't at the moment. I've played a good amount of the PSP version (though I've never beaten it) and it's a great game, but the controls aren't great on that system. On the 360 I could see it being really great, the gameplay is fun, the comic book style of the cutscenes is interesting, and the story itself seemed very interesting as a big fan of MGS3.

#6 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1106 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

Better on PS3.

#7 Posted by pyrodactyl (1961 posts) -

@TrafalgarLaw said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Better on PS3.

guess I'll buy a PS3 then

#8 Posted by Rabid619 (1094 posts) -

@TrafalgarLaw: Sure fire way to have your opinion taken seriously: Make it more than three words.

Whatever system you get it on you're getting a great update of a good game. I think they timed taking PW down amazingly, I have to say. It's not like anyone is going to try and buy it right after you show off gameplay from the sequel or anything.

#9 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Can you buy Peace Walker on its own on PSN or XBL? Because that's the only one I have to catch up on, and I really don't feel like I need to replay (or pay for) 2 and 3 again.

Edit: yes, you can. Don't know why I even asked--took all of 2 minutes to find using the Interwebz.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4662 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

I got Peace Walker on 360 as part of the MGS HD Collection. The controls are tight, the camera is solid, and everything functions as you'd expect it to. There are some minor complaints that are legacy issues from this being a PSP title, though. Such as not being able to crawl or drag bodies/meat shields. Good time overall, though.

#11 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@pyrodactyl: I played through Peace Walker on the 360 (I didn't ever play the PSP version) and LOVED it. Didn't quite get it at first (it's structurally a little different than the other MGS games) but, once I did, I fell in love with it. The port is great, too. Controls are really tight and the dual analogue worked wonders. Can't imagine playing it with only one PSP stick!

#12 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I have the 360 version and never experienced any problems with it. The HD version is definitely the best version of this game and it's much more fun co-op so you should convince a friend to get it too so you can play through together.

#13 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@pyrodactyl: I played through Peace Walker on the 360 (I didn't ever play the PSP version) and LOVED it. Didn't quite get it at first (it's structurally a little different than the other MGS games) but, once I did, I fell in love with it. The port is great, too. Controls are really tight and the dual analogue worked wonders. Can't imagine playing it with only one PSP stick!

Did you ever play Portable Ops? The gameplay is somewhat close to PW, but PW is by far the superior game. I also missed out on playing the PSP version (PSP was stolen), but I was super impressed with the 360 version and enjoyed every moment well after earning all 1000 gamerscore. The multiplayer is fantastic, but I think the 3v3 leaves you wanting a more players.

#14 Posted by Dudacles (1445 posts) -

So is there any word on when this is getting a fix? I want to buy Peace Walker desperately, with the Ground Zeroes news that has me thinking about the series again. I want to go through all of them in chronological order...

#15 Posted by Dudacles (1445 posts) -

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

@Dudacles said:

So is there any word on when this is getting a fix? I want to buy Peace Walker desperately, with the Ground Zeroes news that has me thinking about the series again. I want to go through all of them in chronological order...

The (google-translated) official word from Japan is apparently.. "Please wait for a while."

It should be back up in time if you play through the games in reverse chronology. And the story will become progressively less confusing, to boot.

Well, let's hope that while will be relatively short then. And, yeah, hah, I suppose I could do that. I'm more comfortable with the conventional order though. Going backwards... Can't seem to imagine that being any less confusing than trying to follow along the timeline. :p What makes you think it's less confusing that way?

#16 Edited by pyrodactyl (1961 posts) -

@Dudacles said:

@Dudacles said:

The (google-translated) official word from Japan is apparently.. "Please wait for a while."

It should be back up in time if you play through the games in reverse chronology. And the story will become progressively less confusing, to boot.

Well, let's hope that while will be relatively short then. And, yeah, hah, I suppose I could do that. I'm more comfortable with the conventional order though. Going backwards... Can't seem to imagine that being any less confusing than trying to follow along the timeline. :p What makes you think it's less confusing that way?

I can't see why you couldn't play 3, portable ops, metal gear, metal gear 2, 1, 2, 4 and then peace walker.

I don't feel like peace walker has anything to do with any MGS games outside of ground zeros and possibly MGS5

As for the delay, it's really a big bummer. Now the game will probably reapear in the middle of the big season and I'l be way to busy playing AC3/Borderlands 2/Hitman/Halo 4/Far cry 3 to care.

#17 Posted by Dudacles (1445 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@Dudacles said:

@Dudacles said:

I can't see why you couldn't play 3, portable ops, metal gear, metal gear 2, 1, 2, 4 and then peace walker.

I don't feel like peace walker has anything to do with any MGS games outside of ground zeros and possibly MGS5

As for the delay, it's really a big bummer. Now the game will probably reapear in the middle of the big season and I'l be way to busy playing AC3/Borderlands 2/Hitman/Halo 4/Far cry 3 to care.

Sure, I suppose. I don't know though; I just like going through them in the chronological order the story/canon lines them up in. It makes it ever so slightly more thrilling to me, given my love for the fiction. I've never played Peace Walker (and lack the ability to play Portable Ops, given the fact that I don't own a PSP) and would like to incorporate it into my grand trek through all of the Metal Gear games, as to get hyped for Ground Zeroes. It's just something I like doing every few years or so, just as I played through all the other Metal Gear games I had up to that point before diving into MGS4 back in 2008. It's one of gaming's bigger and more epic journeys to me. So I think I'll wait. I have plenty of games to play, regardless.

Still, here's hoping they don't take too long.

#18 Posted by klinkcow (255 posts) -

just went looking for the 360 version....still down I guess? Has anyone heard anything?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.