What is the combat staff for?

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

So I just started the game (at the lav fight) but I was just curious about the affects of the combat unit. I know the two other ones I have now play a significant purpose but I'm confused on combat staff. Thanks for the help

#2 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

Eventually you get to send your combat unit on ops of their own, then you see the results after your mission. If you capture tanks, helicopters or whatever you can use those too.

#3 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

I think if your combat unit's level is high then you also unlock new guns.

#4 Posted by DocHaus (1286 posts) -

Eventually you will have five different units: Combat, R&D, Mess Hall, Medical and Intel. Combat can be used for Outer Ops missions and adds BNP (or whatever the money is called) to your pile so you can research new gear through your R&D unit. Also, for some weapons your unit's total level will have to be at a certain point.

You can take units from the Combat Unit and play as them in game if you think they have similar or better stats than Snake. Or if you play co-op and someone else takes Snake instead.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

Cool this has been really helpful. I found it weird that it's open from the beginning but never explained

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.