sgthalka's Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PlayStation Portable) review

Looks great, plays bad.

Judging by the 15-hour campaign length, I've made it through roughly half of MGS: Portable Ops, and I just can't bring myself to play any further. After suffering through 8 hours of fighting the camera, enduring horrific gunplay, putting up with tedious stealth exploration and plowing throguh unsatisfying hand-to-hand combat, it's time to pull the plug on this game.

The most important feature for series fans will be the story. It's unfortunate the gameplay is so clunky and awkward, it's real tough-going even if you love the franchise to get through it to experience all the awesome story revelations. I hate to admit this, but I actually quit halfway through and just looked up cutscenes online to watch instead. Yes, I know. I feel I have failed in some way.

But oh well. What are ya gonna do.

Other reviews for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PlayStation Portable)

This is a great game, dispite the slight change of controls 0

If you're a fan of Metal Gear Solid and you own a PSP, you have to buy this game. This game continues the story left after MGS3, where you control Big Boss (who prefers to be called Snake, and who can blame him?) and it's actually a full blown MGS game, that actually fits into the timeline of the Metal Gear series quite well. The controls changes need a little getting used to, f you haven't played Subsistence (which I haven't) you may not have used the 3D camera yet, but you can get used to that...

Another great game in the MGS series. 0

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is a direct sequel to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.  You play as Big Boss, aka Naked Snake and if you enjoyed MGS3 you will enjoy playing this game.  What's really nice about this game being a portable game is that the levels are short and sweet which is perfect for me since I don't have as much time to game anymore since I am a father.  Continuing Naked Snake's storyline is great and you start to see where he goes from being the hero to the enemy we see in Meta...