So... this game came out.

#1 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

In North America anyway. Doesn't look like stores have been stocking it well though. I grabbed the last copy a couple hours after the store opened on tuesday.

It seems like all the sites that tend to review portable games are in Europe and the game isn't out there yet, so there's barely any reviews to read about it. Seems like Konami is quietly letting this game get released, which is strange because they typically have a lot of fan-fare over any Metal Gear release. So I offer my initial impressions of the game:

After finishing the Virtuous Mission, my thoughts are generally positive. The 3D is on par with Super Mario 3D Land, that is to say really, really good. No ghosting or other after-images, and the sense of depth is really well realized. For fans of the game with a 3DS, it's almost worth it to just see how all the cutscenes look in 3D. It plays well too, the 3D is really quite immersive when you're sneaking through the jungle or crawling through a rotten log. You get a good idea of where enemy guards are relative to your position, so making sneaky approaches is a bit easier.

You're going to need that advantage though because the controls are a little bit of a struggle. They did the best they could, and honestly they did a good job getting it to work well without the circle pad pro, but it is clumsy. If you've played Peace Walker on the PSP, you'll be instantly familiar with the controls. It seems weird and unintuitive to have all the action buttons on the d-pad and aiming with the face buttons, but when you get used to it, it's fine. If anything, it forces you to play a bit slower.

Honestly, I think the weirdest thing about the game is the additions from Peace Walker. You can crouch-walk like in PW, but they kept the belly crawling from MGS3. Same with the over-the-shoulder aiming from Peace Walker. You can choose to just have it aim in first-person mode like in MGS3. So it seems like they give you some nice options to work with no matter what background you have with the series. Crouch walking isn't quite as useful as it may seem though. You still have pretty high visibility, so enemies will be spotting you from afar, unlike Peace Walker. I just stick to crawling. Though crouching does give you a nice new way to approach dudes for CQC.

Visually this game looks pretty great! I was comparing it shot-by-shot with the recent HD collection release and it holds up. The textures aren't as detailed as the HD version, but lighting has been vastly improved, and I think the models have a higher level of detail. Either way, the visuals are really impressive, this gives me a lot of hope for the 3DS.

But yeah, overall I find the game as enjoyable as ever, and even if I literally just beat Snake Eater two weeks ago, I still feel like jumping right back in with this version. My only real concern is that a game with lengthy cutscenes and extended sneaking missions aren't exactly suited for portability. You can always close the screen I guess, but you can easily get caught with like a 30 minute cutscene when the battery is flashing low and you're far away from a charger. That would suck.

Anyway, has anyone else been playing? What are your thoughts? Any questions for those on the fence? This ended up being WAAAY longer than I thought. Maybe I should properly review the game after all.

#2 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

Thanks. 

I'll probably pick this one up eventually. From what I played of them demo, I like the way the game controls more than the PS2 version. I never did like the press and release to shoot. Also for some reason I preferred playing PW on PSP despite it being a long game with lots of cut scenes.

#3 Posted by AngeTheDude (639 posts) -

This game just seems pointless after the release of the HD collection.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93 said:

Thanks. I'll probably pick this one up eventually. From what I played of them demo, I like the way the game controls more than the PS2 version. I never did like the press and release to shoot. Also for some reason I preferred playing PW on PSP despite it being a long game with lots of cut scenes.

Well I always saw Peace Walker as being made for portables, since all the missions are chopped up into short chunks, and the longest bits of dialogue, the tapes, are all optional. MGS 3 still feels very much like a home console game for better or for worse.

Oh and I think the photo camo feature breaks the game. Took a picture of my roommate's green sweater and now I get 100% camo in most jungle areas, even while actively crawling around.

#5 Edited by benspyda (2015 posts) -

Been playing the HD version on PS3 so it doesn't make sense to get this too. I have been playing Ocarina of Time 3DS and that game looks fantastic in 3D so I'm sure this would too.

#6 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

it's either this or the HD Collection, which is a tough choice since i'd love to play Snake Eater in HD, along with finally trying Peace Walker. on the other hand, i also need more 3DS games.

#7 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

Good to hear that you like it. A buddy of mine played a demo of it and told me that he thought the controls were garbage. But he isn't used to playing that series so that could just be the problem.

#8 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:

it's either this or the HD Collection, which is a tough choice since i'd love to play Snake Eater in HD, along with finally trying Peace Walker. on the other hand, i also need more 3DS games.

Get HD collection. More games, and they're more beautiful. The 3DS games will come. Some day.

Also, this game came out... Again? How many versions of MSG3 exists?
#9 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

Very nice summary of your impressions of the game, thank you. No immediate interest here, but heyyyyy maybe once the 3DS Lite is out. It's a wonderful game, regardless of platform. And it's great to hear it's more than just the port that the HD version mostly was.

#10 Posted by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Seems like Konami is quietly letting this game get released, which is strange because they typically have a lot of fan-fare over any Metal Gear release.

Yeah, I thought this had been cancelled. A pleasant surprise at the least.

@MikeGosot: I think there've been 4 versions of MGS3.

1. MGS 3 (PS2)
  2. MGS 3 Subsistence (PS2)
  3. MGS 3 Subsistence HD (X360/PS3)
  4. MGS 3 3D (3DS)
#11 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

I picked it up this evening, though I haven't had time to dig into it yet. I enjoyed Snake Eater on the PS2, so I'm interested to see how the 3DS version changes things up.

#12 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Wait this game is out was konamo planning on telling anyone. Might pick this but still going through mario land.

Anyone know if there is circle pad support

#13 Posted by Village_Guy (2480 posts) -

Hm, this came out silently. Well I have heard some not so great things about it, so I think I'll stick to the HD collection.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

Wait this game is out was konamo planning on telling anyone. Might pick this but still going through mario land. Anyone know if there is circle pad support

Yes, it supports the Circle Pad Pro.

#15 Posted by joeq1159 (111 posts) -

I think the Circle Pad Pro is a must for this game. I've been playing it without it and doing alright but it feels awkward having to basically come to a full stop and lay down. Still, this is my favorite Metal Gear so I'm loving it

#16 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

I was totally on board to pick this up day one, but my excitement started to wane a bit. Now I'm just going to go ahead and buy the HD collection and pick this one up when its a bit cheaper.

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7443 posts) -

@AngeTheDude said:

Perhaps not pointless, but yeah, that sure took a lot of wind out of the sails of my enthusiasm. Buy one game, slightly updated, or all of them... I think I'd take the Vita HD Collection if that was the choice.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

I've played through the Virtuous Mission, and while it did take me a bit to get used to the controls (playing with the Circle Pad Pro, here), it also reminded me of how much I absolutely sucked balls during the Virtuous Mission on the PS2. That whole, "this is a stealth mission, don't get spotted," kind of went out the window as I managed to get spotted by most every single guard from the start to Sokolov.

#19 Posted by Sargus (720 posts) -

I was really excited about this before HD Collection was announced. Then I figured I might still get it to have a portable MGS3, but then HD Collection was announced for Vita, sooooo... Yeah. Seems like Konami is kind of mistreating this one, which is a shame. I was hoping it would be a big deal and then lead to a new game that would live up to Ghost Babel in terms of Metal Gear on a Nintendo portable.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@Sargus said:

I was really excited about this before HD Collection was announced. Then I figured I might still get it to have a portable MGS3, but then HD Collection was announced for Vita, sooooo... Yeah. Seems like Konami is kind of mistreating this one, which is a shame. I was hoping it would be a big deal and then lead to a new game that would live up to Ghost Babel in terms of Metal Gear on a Nintendo portable.

Honestly, even from what little I've played so far, I'd say that Snake Eater 3D is able to easily stand up next to the HD Collection version. The HD Collection Snake Eater is more or less an up-rezzed port, whereas the 3DS version offers new gameplay. If I had the choice between a version of Snake Eater with fancy graphics or one that plays signficantly differently from the PS2 version, I'll take the latter.

#21 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@AngeTheDude said:

Which is probably why they made no noise as this game was released.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@AngeTheDude said:

Which is probably why the made no noise as this game was released.

You'd think that Konami would time their releases better, given that this is their first big game of note on the platform.

#23 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@Absolute_Zero: They're also releasing the HD collection for the Vita.

#24 Posted by Brendan (7666 posts) -

This post made me sad for my 3DS, because although there are a growing number of excellent games coming out for it I don't know when I'm going to play them. I have so many console titles from the past year to play (not to mention upcoming 2012 ones) that I don't know how much use I'm ever going to get out of my 3D buddy :(

#25 Edited by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

One thing I feel like needs to be said about the game is the frame-rate. It's pretty awful, and not terribly consistent. It's not unplayable or anything, if frame-rate slowdowns or choppiness don't bother you then it should be fine. But if you're real sensitive about getting locked 30 or 60, you should probably look elsewhere. I guess I was spoiled by the MGS collection, but I'm finding dealing with the frame-rate the most jarring. But I can deal.

I'm finally getting my aim back from all those hours of Peace Walker and aiming with the face-buttons. I really don't want to get a circle pad pro if I can help it. They're just too ugly. The lumpy, circular shape might be ergonomic, but the 3DS is a neat-looking and very functional piece of hardware, and tacking on something like that kinda kills that for me.

@Hailinel: You're playing with the pro, do the other shoulder buttons do anything, like did they make it access inventory like other MGS games?

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@MikkaQ: L and R are used to change weapons and items. ZL aims, and ZR fires.

#27 Posted by DeF (4776 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@SlightConfuse said:

Wait this game is out was konamo planning on telling anyone. Might pick this but still going through mario land. Anyone know if there is circle pad support

Yes, it supports the Circle Pad Pro.

there's also a demo on the eShop so you can try for yourself how it plays ...

I played the demo with the circle pad pro and wouldn't want to play the game without it (while I have had no problem playing RE: Revelations without the CPP). I just makes more sense because the buttons are where you'd expect them to be with additional functions mapped to the touch screens which is a nice ...erm ..touch :)

#28 Posted by Valkyr47 (11 posts) -

I am almost through this entire game without a CPP and never had issues except during the fast paced boss fights, and you just deal with it

i did play a ton of MGS Peace walker though, and so maybe im just used to face button aiming

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.