Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection 1987-2012

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

A Metal Gear compilation consisting of the previous "Metal Gear Solid HD Collection" and much more.

Is MGS worth playing from the start if I've never played any of them ever?

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is MGS worth playing from the start if I've never played any of them ever? (274 votes)

Yes 66%
    No 4%
    I've never played them either. 28%

I had an Original Xbox before a PS2 and so I played the Splinter Cell games instead of MGS. I've never touched an MGS game but I've always been really curious about them--mostly for the Kojima shenanigans. Now that this Legacy Collection is coming out, I'm tempted to go hard and try to play through them all. But ... is it actually worth it? Does the gameplay hold up on the older games? Anyone else thinking of taking this opportunity to jump into the series?

• 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I've just finished writing my blog on Metal Gear Solid 2, so I feel especially informed to say that yes, the gameplay holds up pretty damn well (although the action moments don't really mesh well with what the rest of the game's going for).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Metal Gear Solid is a classic, with one of the most memorable stories of the series. Gameplay isn't overly complex but I still think it's a lot of fun.

MGS2 is cool, MGS3 was amazing to me, and MGS4 is completely crazy with some incredibly engaging gameplay. So go for it!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yes, if only because MGS is one of those franchises that everybody need at least try. Plus they're all so different and unique from one another that it's beneficial to give them all a whirl, just to see if any can stick with you.

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who recently played through the MGS HD collection (on 360...), MGS3 has definitely jumped onto my top 10 of all time. Man that game is just so satisfying.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes. I still contend that the original MGS is the best of the series and should be played by all. Also, 2 is fantastic; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yeah, buy this collection and play all of it. It will be worth every penny you spend.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Sure. The earlier games were really frustrating but its always had a crazy ass story and was fun to play none the less.

I cant wait for the new collection so I can play all of them and get to the ones I still haven't played (MGS4)

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes. The answer is yes. And before you ask, you play them in release order.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

The MGS series is kind of incredible if you can get into it. I've only played what's in the HD collection (plus MGS 4) and it's one of my favorite series. So I can't really speak for the first game.

If you can get into the first game then by all means play it (it's a good idea to know the story of the first game before playing MGS 2. Personally I just read the comic and it was effective.)

Also, important word of advice: DO NOT play the game in chronological order. Play in the order that the games were released in. The story across all the games develops in a pretty specific way and you'll completely break that (and be confused by the fact that you'll be jumping between new and old games and mechanics) if you don't play the games in the order that they were released.

Hope you decide to give the series a try!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ch3burashka

Currently 31 votes, 75% YES, 25% Never played it. No one's saying "No"...

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MGS1 has one of the best stories of the series but the game play has become slightly dated but definitely not enough to skip over it. A great game just remember to look at the back of the package (does that still work on the new versions?) and to switch controller ports.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no. It's not like you are actually going to understand the story anyway.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@demoskinos: Even Metal Gear? I wonder how well the very first in the series holds up...

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I played mgs1 a short time before mgs4 came out and I did really enjoy it on the PC.

MGS2 was my first and i would say it has so much weird stuff that it makes it crazy interesting.

MGS3 is my favourite game of all time, it had two of the most memorable boss fights I have ever experienced and a cool and sometimes hilarious story. If this legacy collection has the extras that were in mgs3 subsistence, make sure u try the ape escape minigame and watch the alternate cutscenes. I cried laughing so many times.

Mgs4 was O.K. it was made much more modern feeling and I really cant think of much to say that is bad. But I personally felt it was a little flat, except for the final level, that shit was super awesome and a great send off.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Most definitely.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was totally going to ask the same thing. Addendum! As someone who has been wondering the exact same thing as the op, I was curious which version of MGS1 is the one to go for. The slightly more modern Twin Snakes looks mighty appealing, though I haven't heard the best things about it. However, most of these complaints come from changes to the original game, and as someone who has no nostalgia for the series, I doubt this would bother me.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle

Yes, it is one of the greatest series ever. I'd say it definitely holds up, I played through MGS2 for the first time in about, oh, 2010, and loved the hell out of it.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yup, they all hold up really well - especially when played in order (though one could view MGS1 as more of a puzzle game than the others, which are progressively closer to modern stealth)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the greatest stealth action games out there. As long as you don't play like this guy. Then everything should be smooth sailing.

Loading Video...

Btw..you might want to have a few snacks for the mgs series. The cutscenes in the series can drag out for a very long time, and ends up feeling like watching a long movie.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wardcleaver

I think they are good games to play through once.

I would suggest you play through in order; not just for the story, but for the changes to gameplay. After playing MGS4, I decided that I wanted to replay MGS2 and couldn't get through it because of the camera view.

Also, for better or worse, the series makes no apologies about it being a stealth game (see the video falesrelic posted).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. It is one of the best series in this industry,

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By Sin4profit

That's exactly how i did it. When i got my hands on a PS2 i bought the Solid collection (1 2 and 3) and played through those.

Also this collection comes with a lot of the original old school games. I never liked the NES Metal Gear games but the Solid Snake games are good.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By tourgen

The older metal gear games suffer from many of the annoyances of other games from their time. If that doesn't bother you then you can probably get some enjoyment out of playing them. I don't think they hold up that well so if there are other, more modern games on your list you can pretty easily pass up the older metal gear games.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I was totally going to ask the same thing. Addendum! As someone who has been wondering the exact same thing as the op, I was curious which version of MGS1 is the one to go for. The slightly more modern Twin Snakes looks mighty appealing, though I haven't heard the best things about it. However, most of these complaints come from changes to the original game, and as someone who has no nostalgia for the series, I doubt this would bother me.

You might be fine with the Twin Snakes version. The only real issues I can remember having with it, besides already knowing everything that would happen, were things like the voiceovers changing (some lines were delivered differently), the crazy new fight choreography being a bit too ridiculous at times and some scenes not having the "right" music track. Like you guessed, things that bothers someone who already have certain expectations coming into it.

As for the gameplay, its the same level design as MGS1 only with the gameplay additions of MGS2, so you've got first person aiming, dragging around bodies and such IIRC. I also seem to recall some parts of the game being significantly easier becase of these changes, just don't quote me on that.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only MGS game I've played was Metal Gear Solid and it's absolutely worth playing. Really great game, that one.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the feedback - I can feel myself soon falling very deeply into this series. And for all of it's issues, I'm still a sucker for stealth games (and not just the easy new ones)--so it's encouraging hearing that's still it's focus.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. The first game is good but pales to the middle two, and the fourth one is a mess, but they're all good games. Especially 2 and 3.

2 is one of my favorite all time games.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the main series during december last year, and it was totally worth it!

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#29  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Yes. In fact go all the way and start with the MSX games, which are also included in this collection,

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MGS, MGS3, and Peacewalker are all excellent games; the rest of the series is just okay.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm in the same boat of having never played the full series, and personally I'd love to play them. KONAMI just needs to release the Legacy Collection in the UK first.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the greatest stealth action games out there. As long as you don't play like this guy. Then everything should be smooth sailing.

Loading Video...

Btw..you might want to have a few snacks for the mgs series. The cutscenes in the series can drag out for a very long time, and ends up feeling like watching a long movie.

Man....

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@filipholm: His mgs 3 playthrough is even worse..

Loading Video...

AkihikoSenpai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I played my first Metal Gear game (MGS1) about a year ago, since then I have played each game at least twice (MGS2 5 times). So the answer is yes, if you can get into it there is no other gaming experience quite like it.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

I voted yes but I want to offer a slightly different view. Realize before going in that Metal Gear Solid has a major focus on story. And not interactive stories. Expect to watch cutscenes that last well over an hour. In Metal Gear Solid 2 specifically I spent much more time watching cutscenes than actually playing the game. Metal Gear Solid 3 starts off with a good 2 hour long cutscene before you actually get to play the game. Point is, if the story doesn't grab you then you are going to be majorly disappointed. Just know before going in that the gameplay often seems secondary to the story. And Kojima has a very specific way of writing that a lot of people really hate. Again, if you don't like it within the first hour or so know that the writing remains similar in style throughout the entire series, although the sex jokes and sexist attitude subsides a lot by the third game and by the fourth I could almost believe the female characters were actual people and not a figment of Kojima's wet dreams.

As for that gameplay, the first game is a bit dated and can be really easily exploited. The second game fixes those exploits but doesn't really give you enough tools to really beat most encounters the first time through. With the remake of 3 they really upped the quality of the gameplay. The only entry in the series I really dislike is Peacewalker. I felt like breaking a game into bite sized chunks didn't really work for me in an MGS game. I honestly missed the lengthy cutscenes. I never finished that one. Just didn't enjoy the format.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
    deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes you certainly should. They are awesome games. I loved Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation back in the day. It's probably not going to have the same impact now since so many games have gone cinematic. Stealthing around in Metal Gear is so satisfying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.