Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 09, 2004

Remake of the acclaimed PlayStation stealth-action action title Metal Gear Solid, developed under supervision of creator Hideo Kojima and legendary Nintendo game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.

Did anyone actually play the remake?

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spaceturtle

You see, I'm a long time MGS fan. And by "long time" I mean I've loved the games ever since the first Metal Gear for the Playstaion was released. I can without doubt say that the first and original MGS for the Playstation is the best in the series, and the best game of all time, imo. And I can't imagine the remake for the Gamecube, Twin Snakes, really being the same experience. But I suddenly got this, rush, for the lack of a better word, to try out Twin Snakes. Now, I don't own a Gamecube. Neither do I know anyone who own one, so I can't really borrow one. But if I were to buy a Gamecube sorely for the purpose to play Twin Snakes, would you say it's worth it? 

So, I guess what I'm asking, is the game good?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation is probably my favorite game of all time too. I still play that game every once in a while and even though I have Twin Snakes I would rather play the PS version.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I love both, to be honest. Twin Snakes has a very different style (think The Matrix meets MGS 1) in terms of the cutscenes, but some of them are actually pretty neat. It's a bit of a different experience, and honestly, waaay easier, but still worth playing if you like metal gear games. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I played it. It's a faithful remake, and it brings the control up to the MGS2 era, so you can shoot from first person. Also, if you have a Wii you can just play it on that, they are backwards compatible. You'd still need a Gamecube controller though.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zyn

The remake is worth the money if you don't already own the original.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
    @c1337us said:

" Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation is probably my favorite game of all time too. I still play that game every once in a while and even though I have Twin Snakes I would rather play the PS version. "

This is actually just the answer I was looking for! I recently got informed the classic for the Playstation is available at PSN. So as soon as I can spear the money I'll buy that off there. It's really a drag having to hook up my Playstation every time I wanna play MGS. Cause I too replay that game fairly often. Anyways, if a fan of the game says the classic is way better than Twin Snakes then that certainly slows down that "rush" I suddenly felt to play Twin Snakes.  Thanks, man. 

@XII_Sniper said:

" I love both, to be honest. Twin Snakes has a very different style (think The Matrix meets MGS 1) in terms of the cutscenes, but some of them are actually pretty neat. It's a bit of a different experience, and honestly, waaay easier, but still worth playing if you like metal gear games.  "

Well, I sure like the MGS games. God, I love em! But is it worth getting the Gamecube as well? Cause, I mean, I don't have one so, I will be needing that to actually play the game.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Twin Snakes is fantastic.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By kenzo287

twin snakes is a fantastic remake and is faithful enough that it was able to pull me in to the series

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

The cinematics for the Twin Snakes is amazing. The ending cinematic with Grey Fox... epic.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Contro

It's awesome, there's only one minute thing that I dislike, that being the lack of the classical symphony when Snake makes his entrance into the base, during the intro of the original. That's all, everything else is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves MGS.    

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phish09

I've never been able to find a copy at any local retailer.  I know I could just order it online, but I just long for the day where I see it sitting there in a bargain bin, then it will be mine.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chummy8

How can you be a "long time fan" of MGS if the earliest game you played was on the Playstation?

That said, I played the remake, it was my only experience playing the game and it was alright.  In fact, I still have my GC copy. 
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Malakhii

I really liked Twin Snakes. If you have a Wii play it on that. If not I don't know if it single handedly warrents a game cube purchase. Maybe if you find some other GC games you'd want to play. 

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeeGee
    @TekZero:  The first MGS game was on the Playstation, that's why.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By zidd

the MGS2 related improvements made MGS1 a better game IMO.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Chummy8
    @DeeGee said:
    " @TekZero:  The first MGS game was on the Playstation, that's why. "
    Right, the first MGS game was on the playstation.  I was thinking of the Metal Gear series. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

I still own a copy.  It's a fantastic game.  I never played the original Playstation version, but after the dream sequence in MGS4, I imagine I wouldn't like it as much.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Sayishere

I personally cant play the first one, it looks so outdated nowadays compared to Twin Snakes, i highly recommend it but its a different experience, i would even say its actually less of an experience compared to the original but that being said, its worth picking up no doubt

Cupids_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Cupids_Hitman
    @TekZero: The Metal Gear Solid series is a part of the Metal Gear series, but they're so different that it's pretty much stands alone.
    Blaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Blaine

Twin Snakes got me into the Metal Gear series, and it is now one of my favourite game series. Never properly played the original but I can't imagine it holding up to someone who doesn't have the nostalgia for the original release, even if it is essentially the same game.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cannonballbam

I have owned this for years and just played it recently, I still prefer the original.

dahnosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dahnosaur

never played any of the MGS games. is this the place to start?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Not all the changes are good, the cutscenes became a little bit much at times, but overall it's very good and has some of the nice MGS2 enhancements like the FPS shooting view.

@Dahnosaur said:

never played any of the MGS games. is this the place to start?

I think you should try the original but if you can't take the graphics or the lack of some of the gameplay additions then you should play Twin Snakes. It wouldn't be a bad choice either way I just prefer the original overall.

After you take care of 1, grab the HD collection. My favorite in the series: MGS 3, MGS 1, MGS 4, MGS 2.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By Hector

Not only did I play it but I never played the original PS version, Twin Snakes was the first MGS game I ever played and I had a blast. I must've play through the story a few times, it's definitely worth it.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, it's great and it's not like the cutscenes were any worse than all the superdumb shit Kojima normally puts in his games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.