Metal Gear Solid Touches Down on iPhone

Posted by Jeff (3678 posts) -
Taking cover is as easy as lifting your finger.
Konami's iPhone-based on-rails shooter set in the Metal Gear Solid 4 universe landed in Apple's App Store this morning at a price of $7.99.

It's sort of a weird product, taking the world and basic plot of MGS4, shrinking it down into a shooting gallery, and then trying to make shooting work on a platform with no buttons, light-guns, or anything like that. But this isn't just a "tap the enemies to kill them" sort of game. You actually have an on-screen reticle, and you move that around by moving your finger on the screen. Then you tap the screen to fire. Lifting your finger off the screen lets Snake take cover behind objects, where he'll regain health. And the iPhone's two-fingered pinch and spread zooming controls are used to swap between a standard rifle and a sniper rifle.

You'll also earn Drebin points when you complete missions, which can be used to unlock 3D models, which the game implies you should use with the iPhone's built-in screenshot function to create lock screen wallpapers. From the main menu, you can select a page that displays some brief text about a lot of the previous Metal Gear games, as if you need some sort of back story to truly appreciate moving a reticle and tapping the screen. Still, it's quite a bit deeper than most iPhone games get.

MGS4's great cutscenes are reduced to a static image and some text.
Graphically, the game looks like someone took an old-timey shooting gallery and replaced the ducks and pinwheels with flat images of armed PMC soldiers that slide into frame with no actual animation. Larger objects, like a helicopter that buzzes you in the third level, at least have some limited animation to show the spinning rotors.

Overall, the controls feel fine and properly built for easy use on the iPhone's touch screen. But, conceptually, it doesn't really do with the world of Metal Gear Solid justice. The story is relegated to quick bits of text between missions, and staring at the back of Old Snake's head the entire time as you plink off enemy troops and encounter bosses doesn't quite qualify as the "tactical espionage action" that series fans are probably after. It's an interesting attempt that's quite a bit different than the extremely simple games that currently dominate the platform... but on a platform like the iPhone, "simple" reigns for a reason. I'd probably still rather play WordFu or Live Poker when I have a little time to kill on the ride home.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3678 posts) -
Taking cover is as easy as lifting your finger.
Konami's iPhone-based on-rails shooter set in the Metal Gear Solid 4 universe landed in Apple's App Store this morning at a price of $7.99.

It's sort of a weird product, taking the world and basic plot of MGS4, shrinking it down into a shooting gallery, and then trying to make shooting work on a platform with no buttons, light-guns, or anything like that. But this isn't just a "tap the enemies to kill them" sort of game. You actually have an on-screen reticle, and you move that around by moving your finger on the screen. Then you tap the screen to fire. Lifting your finger off the screen lets Snake take cover behind objects, where he'll regain health. And the iPhone's two-fingered pinch and spread zooming controls are used to swap between a standard rifle and a sniper rifle.

You'll also earn Drebin points when you complete missions, which can be used to unlock 3D models, which the game implies you should use with the iPhone's built-in screenshot function to create lock screen wallpapers. From the main menu, you can select a page that displays some brief text about a lot of the previous Metal Gear games, as if you need some sort of back story to truly appreciate moving a reticle and tapping the screen. Still, it's quite a bit deeper than most iPhone games get.

MGS4's great cutscenes are reduced to a static image and some text.
Graphically, the game looks like someone took an old-timey shooting gallery and replaced the ducks and pinwheels with flat images of armed PMC soldiers that slide into frame with no actual animation. Larger objects, like a helicopter that buzzes you in the third level, at least have some limited animation to show the spinning rotors.

Overall, the controls feel fine and properly built for easy use on the iPhone's touch screen. But, conceptually, it doesn't really do with the world of Metal Gear Solid justice. The story is relegated to quick bits of text between missions, and staring at the back of Old Snake's head the entire time as you plink off enemy troops and encounter bosses doesn't quite qualify as the "tactical espionage action" that series fans are probably after. It's an interesting attempt that's quite a bit different than the extremely simple games that currently dominate the platform... but on a platform like the iPhone, "simple" reigns for a reason. I'd probably still rather play WordFu or Live Poker when I have a little time to kill on the ride home.
Staff
#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2943 posts) -

I love MGS, but.....

I don't know if I'll get this.
#3 Posted by GioVANNI (1297 posts) -

Looks interesting.

#4 Edited by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

Oh, so Otacon likes Japanese anime, not all that great American... anime? I don't mind that they made the game, I just wish they hadn't wasted a perfectly good teaser site.

#5 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Dull.

#6 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

MGS on a phone WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!!?! YAY YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

#7 Posted by Blaster (58 posts) -

Could you guys do a quick look video of MGS for the iphone?

#8 Posted by Depth (357 posts) -

Not getting this one..

#9 Posted by Southgrove (323 posts) -

A solid snake in your pocket, eh. Oh reee-hee-heeally....

#10 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Who would ever want to play a serious story based game like MGS on an iPhone. MGS isn't a game you can play for 5 minutes when your bored.

#11 Posted by AndrewB (7692 posts) -

Aren't there a bunch of pretty decent games for the iPhone for between $1 and $2? Something around there... my point is, for $8, is a tap and shoot game really going to give you that much enjoyment? Just because it has the Metal Gear name attached to it doesn't make it fun to play. And for $8, you can buy a few simple iPhone games.

#12 Posted by super_machine (1932 posts) -

Its actually not that bad. I see a lot of people complaining about the game, but I suspect they haven't played it. A demo might have diffused some of the ire. But as an Itouch game MGST works well enough, and is more entertaining than the majority of the games in the app store. Also the production value is pretty good for the platform.

#13 Posted by Kazona (3102 posts) -

I totally forgot about the existence of this game.

#14 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

I was looking forward to this game, but I've just seen some gameplay and it look rubbish, shame...

#15 Posted by Slique (133 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid: Duck Hunt.

#16 Posted by KillerFly (399 posts) -

I love Metal Gear and I'm getting an iPod Touch in a few days, but I'm definitely not getting this.

#17 Posted by iAmJohn (6141 posts) -

:\

#18 Posted by Kohe321 (3534 posts) -

I do not have an Iphone yet. Doubt I will get one either anytime soon...

#19 Posted by Noxpectius (167 posts) -

I want it.........to bad the European Store doesnt seem to have it yet....

#20 Posted by SpikeDelight (710 posts) -

I wanted this game despite the fact that after the initial announcement it looked worse and worse. Now I have no desire for it whatsoever. And I was in the line for MGS4 at midnight. 

I guess they were going for truly casual players, but I would have liked something more like METAL GEAR SOLID MOBILE, the Verizon MGS game for cell phones. It was fully 3D with graphics about as good as the first Metal Gear Solid and it was an overhead view. Also it autosaved every time you went to another room, so if you got calls or were interrupted you only had to replay the part for like 5 seconds. That was an amazing cell phone game, this one seems meh.
#21 Posted by Brontes_Muse (187 posts) -
#22 Posted by Blazer74 (186 posts) -

I bet it sucks, Apple products are sooooo overrated an unfortunately there are probably a lot of fools who will buy this making this market continue to grow and continue to churn crappy games.

#23 Posted by DondonIcon (114 posts) -

what?

#24 Posted by TheHBK (5587 posts) -

Hahaha, this is is a piece of crap compared to real handheld games.  So much for the iphone being a game machine.  But I will say you get what you pay for, 8 bucks, not bad.  Seems like that crash kart racer is still better.

#25 Posted by kernando (7 posts) -

disgrace to the series.

#26 Posted by AURON570 (1680 posts) -

i saw a gameplay video. the background music and stuff is good (but then again it was just ripped form mgs4), other than that looks pretty generic.

#27 Posted by RawShark (236 posts) -
Southgrove: A solid snake in your pocket, eh. Oh reee-hee-heeally....

I don't think any comment will better this obvious yet classic innuendo.
#28 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

EPIC FAILURES!!!

#29 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I don't really need to have MGS on the go, so I am going to pass on this one.

#30 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

Wow Kojima actually didn't put cut scenes in it its just static images with text...which is pretty much what most of the game is...semi animated pictures in a duck hunt scenario.

#31 Posted by Karmann (622 posts) -

If I wanted MGS on the go, I'd just play portable ops...

#32 Posted by Rio (595 posts) -

This just feels like a sad cash-in,  just kind of annoying..... i cant figure out why I care enough that it annoys me but it just does.

#33 Posted by JCrothers--defunct (43 posts) -

the game is a lot of fun to play guys, think of it as a mobile game, not a kojima game or a mgs game or anything like that. when seen as a pure iphone game, its probably the best there is for people who normally play console type games as well as mgs fans alike.

#34 Posted by Snail (8675 posts) -

Well... I'll buy it.
I AM ADDICTED TO GETTING NEW APPS! D:

#35 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I can't imagine who would get this. The only reason I would consider getting it is if it had worldwide online shooting, but it doesn't have that.

#36 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i'd rather play rolando. 

#37 Posted by Hector (3382 posts) -

Pass.

#38 Posted by wildmatt (101 posts) -

Yeah I got it this mourning, it's alright. Funner then I thought it would be.

#39 Posted by lordofultima (6288 posts) -

Mourning, eh? Nothing fun about that.

#40 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

well MGS has not produced a bad game yet, I hope this will be good.

#41 Posted by LiquidPrince (16237 posts) -

Wait, it's an actual remake of MGS4...? I thought it was just shooter BASED on MGS4.

#42 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

So weird...

#43 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Hmm, don't think I will be downloading

#44 Posted by TaintedSun (154 posts) -

I have an iPhone and I believe I have $8, but I still wouldn't buy this. Every game I test out on the phone makes me feel like I'm giving the phone a handjob, and not just in the sense that I'm sliding my fingers all over it. No, 'cause see, after you rub it a lot, it runs outta juice and well, it's sorta usless.

#45 Posted by Pictoben (63 posts) -

I think the point when iphone gaming becomes vaguely intersting is the point where they incorporate input via a bluetooth controller into the mix. I've seen the concept demoed on a tech show over in the UK, and that could work I suppose. I mean seriously, if I see one more app that involves racing into the screen and steering by turning the ipod, I'll cry.

Of course these bluetooth controllers wouldn't bloody well work with my £300 worth of Touch would they?

#46 Posted by Schaffer (6 posts) -

Anyone downloaded and played this yet? I've got an iTunes card and I'm in two minds whether to use it to purchase MGS.

#47 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I would like to try this game out being a hopeless MGS fan. But my phone provider doesnt support the iPhone. Phooey.

#48 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

iphone games= bad joke.

#49 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Looks like a waste of a teaser site to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.