Answers next week?

#1 Posted by Sarge506 (87 posts) -
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10904 posts) -

I hope they don't. I want this insane mystery around this game to run as long as it possibly can.

#3 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan

I hope they don't. I want this insane mystery around this game to run as long as it possibly can.

I second this. The rampant speculation is awesome.
#4 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@MooseyMcMan

They'll probably reveal little enough information that even more ridiculous speculative mutli-paragraphed threads will stem from the content that'll be in the article, trying to fill in all the blanks.

I guess it's because the plot in this franchise is so whacky and so far up its own ass, and because of how mysterious and cryptic the marketing around it is, that fans can say stupid shit with a grain of salt and still sound believable enough for page-long discussions to ensue.

#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Snail said:

@BisonHero said:

@MooseyMcMan

They'll probably reveal little enough information that even more ridiculous speculative mutli-paragraphed threads will stem from the content that'll be in the article, trying to fill in all the blanks.

I guess it's because the plot in this franchise is so whacky and so far up its own ass, and because of how mysterious and cryptic the marketing around it is, that fans can say stupid shit with a grain of salt and still sound believable enough for page-long discussions to ensue.

At least some of the characters are okay.
#6 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2291 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

What mystery? People figured stuff out within minutes of the trailer releasing. This isn't a Valve ARG

#7 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

This needs to end with Kojima saying it was a typo that got overlooked

#8 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

They announce a 4rd Metal Gear game in development, one thats not Rising, Phantom Pain, or Ground Zeroes. @MikeGosot: Not to mention that it can take itself seriously and when it does it is effective.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Nottle said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

They announce a 4rd Metal Gear game in development, one thats not Rising, Phantom Pain, or Ground Zeroes. @MikeGosot: Not to mention that it can take itself seriously and when it does it is effective.

Well, i really don't like the overall story, except for MGS3. So yeah, even when it takes itself seriously, at least in my case, it doesn't work. But i guess that's not true to the majority.
#10 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

What mystery? People figured stuff out within minutes of the trailer releasing. This isn't a Valve ARG

I think he's referring to the kind of threads and internet discussion where people speculate about who the protagonist will be, or what the plot will cover, sometimes supporting their theories with a hefty amount of paragraphs.

None of these theories are probably right, and yet you kind of can't help thinking "...but what if"?, and deep down there, each of the fans defending their own cherished pet ideas knows that if they are right - and they might be because MGS is batshit crazy - they'll have the profound, shouting joy of "I WAS RIGHT BITCHES".

The trailer is pretty cryptic, and the whole speculative discussion around is the thing that's kind of insane. What we know about it may have been figured out pretty early on, but these discussions seem to be still ongoing. If Kojima Productions/Moby Dick Studio (if that's even a thing) waited a year to reveal any more info, they would probably last for that long.

#11 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Nottle said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Well, i really don't like the overall story, except for MGS3. So yeah, even when it takes itself seriously, at least in my case, it doesn't work. But i guess that's not true to the majority.

Ha, well I was thinking MGS3 when it comes to the story being serious in a good way. Though I also like the wacky ness, the humor and the mellodrama.

#12 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Nottle said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Nottle said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Ha, well I was thinking MGS3 when it comes to the story being serious in a good way. Though I also like the wacky ness, the humor and the mellodrama.

Well, then you got me.
#13 Edited by pleasedaddyno (87 posts) -

orrr...kojima having a meeting with JJ Abrams a few days ago at Bad Robot was really about Abrams taking over the reigns for the MGS movie from Avi Arad, and sunglasses will suddenly become compulsory at the movie where the lens flare will otherwise make us blind:

#14 Posted by Herk (189 posts) -

What was announced?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.